Crochet Today! July/August

I guess I'm a little disappointed with it :(

There's a lot of wear-ables (I'm not into them), and there's quite a nautical theme (that I'm not into either). I realize it's summer, but it' just not my thing. There's also a lot of crochet jewelry.

There is a really cute whale graph afghan! There also a cute octopus toy too.

I'm sure some people will love it, but for me it's a dud, which is SO dissapointing since I've really looking forward to it.

Same here. Was looking forward to it, but not my favorite issue either.:(. Crochet Today should be out soon, hope it has more in it i can use. Usually has.:yes Jan.

Yeah, I thought it was a big nothing, too. I don't like massively impractical wearables.

I liked the afghans with the embellished borders, but that's about it -- Oh, yes, I did like the whale, too!

I love the ripple afghan - I've had trouble with them before, but I'm having no trouble with this pattern!

It's a little disappointing that Crochet Today! has gone with "themed" issues*. I happen to hate nautical themed stuff (comes from being born in Savannah, near Tybee Island - you get sick of the beach and anything associated with it after a while) - so there were very, very few patterns that I enjoyed in this issue. I realize that mags are always hit and miss, but with themed issues, it's usually more miss than hit.

And I'm a plus-sized gal, so I don't crochet what I can't wear (or afford to make). So, yeah, the clothes were a no-go.

*I realize that most issues are themed to a point, i.e, Christmas or Valentine's, but the rest of the year is usually a nice variety of patterns.

I also want to add that I was little disappointed with Crochet! Magazine this go 'round as well.

Except for the Bruges cloche. Impractical, but oh-so-pretty!

I rather enjoyed this issue. Did you see the article about the "crochetdude"? Another CELEBRITY in our village....yay!!!!!

NO! I missed that! I'll have to check again. I adore him...

NO! I missed that! I'll have to check again. I adore him...

That was in May/June. I still haven't gotten my next one and the mail has gone today!:( But it sounds like I'll be on the same page as you guys about the new patterns.

I love the octopus. That would be a great creation for the county fair.

:manyheart

Oh...I loved almost all the wearables...not that I'd make any of them! and the lobster pillow is so cute! I want lobsters on everything now!

I haven't gotten mine yet. :( It might take a while tho, because mail is being forwarded while we're out of town.

The things you all are talking about don't sound too bad... as long as the wearables aren't too skimpy. :blush And that lobster pillow sounds too cute for my uncle's house on the Chesapeake Bay!

The funny part of this thread is that you mentioned you were disappointed in the July issue of Crochet! magazine. That's the first magazine I've wasted my money on in a while, because there are several things in there I WILL be making. :) Money is so tight anymore, that I don't waste money just buying every magazine out there. Plus, I design a lot of my own stuff...so I don't buy. Just my thoughts. :)

Blessed Be.

I agree with you, I also was disappointed. I imagine it's hard to publish something for a ages and taste. I found two things that I may consider making - one was the beach blanket and the other was the relaxed cardi in the How to read crochet patterns. I was so excited when it came in the mail but soooooo let down.

The funny part of this thread is that you mentioned you were disappointed in the July issue of Crochet! magazine. That's the first magazine I've wasted my money on in a while, because there are several things in there I WILL be making. :) Money is so tight anymore, that I don't waste money just buying every magazine out there. Plus, I design a lot of my own stuff...so I don't buy. Just my thoughts. :)

Blessed Be.

Everyone has different tastes ;). I'm glad you found things that you'll enjoy!:hook

Actually I was talking about the picture of the editor along with Drew on the first or second page of the newest issue. Apparently he is going to be one of the "expert" contributors for both the magazine and the TV show about Knitting and Crochet on PBS.

I got mine yesterday...this was the first issue that I have received. DH and SS ordered a subscription of it for me for Mother's Day. I liked it. I rarely do wearables, but the Fiesta Skirt just looks perfect for my neice. I can't start it right now because of some other projects, but I might keep that in mind for Christmas for her.

I also loved the ripple afghan.

I am not a big fan of the nautical theme either, but I thought that some of the designs were cute.

It's up on their site:

http://www.crochettoday.com/

Now to look since I have to wait for the stores to get it. LOL

Beach Blanket looks kind of okay.

Seashore Shawl looks nice.

Ripple is okay but it's really just a ripple and the patterns are everywhere.

Breezy Bedspread is pretty.

Sweet Summer Top, love it.

Lacey Baby Frock is cute.

A few other things are okay too but I might never make them.

:)

I was at Borders today and surprised to see the latest issue, considering the Crochettoday website said it wasn't supposed to be on sale till June 10. Anyway, haven't had a chance to sit and really go through it. But from past other magazines, they often dedicate issues to themes. But I do have friends with boats, so I may even be interested in nautical items for them.

Way to go, Drew!!!

LI Roe

Archived