Shawler CAL

I have been a slacker not posting pics of my first 2 Shawlers. I am still not feeling well enough to model them, but here they are!

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010012.jpg?t=1209917647

I LOVE this pattern so much! I am working on a third for my mom for Mother'd Day! I have gotten tons of compliments! Shelle I can't thank you enough for such a wonderful pattern!:manyheart

They're wonderful!! What yarn did you use in the second one? I love the colors!

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never started a CAL, but Shelleden's 'shawler' cries out for one. :) (It's at http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75321 if you haven't seen it. Gorgeous!)

I'm going to make mine in Red Heart Plush in purple, and I'm starting tomorrow. Who's with me? :)

Heather

I can't seem to use the link you gave for the pattern, it says I do not have access humm, this has never happen to me before. What did i do wrong lol

I can't seem to use the link you gave for the pattern, it says I do not have access humm, this has never happen to me before. What did i do wrong lol

won't work for me either.....go to one of Shelldon's posts and click the link yto her Etsey shop, you can buy it there. It is a MUST have! I'm on my 3rd one!:clap

I hit a snag! Got both sides done, and laid them on top of each other. Well, CLEARLY (!), I missed some increases on the first one (which also explains why it was so short), and it's just really wonky looking.:blink I counted the stitches on the last row of both pieces. Yep, the first one had about 12 stitches less than the second one. So I thought about frogging back, and just redoing it with more increases, but that wouldn't fix it, because the increases would still not be in the same place, there fore it would still look wonky. so....*sigh*....I frogged it and started over. yep, the whole thing. it's the only way to make it look right. this time, i'm taking a clue from you stitch marker users. no more winging it thinking, "oh I can remember how many each row." so i'm nearly 1/2 done with one side. good thing it's hot right now, and i won't be needing this for several months.

I bought the pattern today, but can not understand how you are all making your shawlers so fast.

How long does it take you to make one.?? Also I have 6 skeins of Worsted Yarn, which is not as thick as Homespun, do you think it will work and I will have enough??? It was a mill end and I can not get anymore...:clap All of your shawlers look lovely...Love the chenille one and all the others too.

I bought the pattern today, but can not understand how you are all making your shawlers so fast.

How long does it take you to make one.?? Also I have 6 skeins of Worsted Yarn, which is not as thick as Homespun, do you think it will work and I will have enough??? It was a mill end and I can not get anymore...:clap All of your shawlers look lovely...Love the chenille one and all the others too.

I used 6 skeins of worsted weight in the varigated pink/green shawler I made, I also went down a hook size. I'm not sure how long each one takes, my crochet time varies so much. I am busy cranking one out for Mother's Day, I am on the 2nd side.

I ended up using 7 skeins of Homespun and had to buy a whole nother one for the very last row! I would like to try it in a lighter weight yarn and I think I would go down a hook size as well. Since you adjust it as you go (as far as shoulder length) it should be ok I would think.

They go very fast in bulky yarns :)

But I made 2 now in RH worsted weight mill ends. Without hoods.

Took me 50 rows instead of 40 or so to get the same length as bulky yarn.

And my mill ends arent in skeins that are weighed separately. It took me about 26 ounces or so (again, my mill ends are in pound bags so its hard to say) I used one pound and some from a second pound.

neither of these had hoods. If you are going to do a hood, I would say use 32 ounces.

Thanks for your help girls, I will try it in WW and go down a hook size too and see if I have to add extra rows...I have about 2 lbs. of a varigated mill end yarn and it should be enough according to you....I sent for the pattern today and hope to have it by tomorrow...:cheer

I have been a slacker not posting pics of my first 2 Shawlers. I am still not feeling well enough to model them, but here they are!

P1010015-1.jpg

P1010012.jpg?t=1209917647

I LOVE this pattern so much! I am working on a third for my mom for Mother'd Day! I have gotten tons of compliments! Shelle I can't thank you enough for such a wonderful pattern!:manyheart

Beautiful! I love them both, especially the chenille!! Great job!:hook So glad you all are enjoying this pattern so much.

HELP!

I finished the first side and no doubt I messed it up. I have some visual-spatial comprehension trouble from my TBI and I'm not understanding how to drape it over the shoulder and wrist to see if I'm ok with the length. By chance did anyone take a pic while working on theirs at this stage? I can't progress until I can figure this out.

What I can say though is it is HUGE HUGE HUGE. It looks like a huge stingray minus the tail.

I have 40 rows but for the last several I inc every row instead of every other, as I'm about 5'9". But I don't want it falling on the floor, which if I'm draping it the way I THINK I'm supposed to, it's darn near close to doing so.

Yes I feel dumb. I'll do whatever I need to to get this right and I can't do it without asking for some help!!

TIA!

HELP!

I finished the first side and no doubt I messed it up. I have some visual-spatial comprehension trouble from my TBI and I'm not understanding how to drape it over the shoulder and wrist to see if I'm ok with the length. By chance did anyone take a pic while working on theirs at this stage?

Okay, the very first row you did is the part that goes around your wrist. The opposite end is the part that will be going over one shoulder. Take hold of this end of the piece (stingray lol), in the middle of the last row you completed, and put it against the right side of your neck, letting the piece fall down the front and back (right) side of your body, and the wrist part resting on the top of your arm/wrist. The very first row you did should come almost down to your wrist. Keep in mind you will add a few inches when you add the cuff. Hope this makes sense.

You'll be making another piece just like this one, then you'll sew it up the back, then add the cuffs, hood, and trim. And you're NOT dumb!! :D

Thank you for your help, and also for your quick response!

The bad news is that this (stingray) piece is indeed WAY too huge, even on me. I really don't want it just past my knees (um, really).

The good news is that it appears I can frog a few rows to fix it, and not need to redo any. After frogging a few, it looks like it will be a great length.

Sigh. Fingers crossed. Here I go a-frogging!

OH I gotta get in gear and get more yarn ... I really want to make one for myself. I sent my first one to my mom in Maine before I took pics.

Now what color for me??

Shelle,

I frogged about 6 rows and it looks much better now! :) I will begin working on the other side tonight.

Might I continue to be a pain in the rear and ask if a favor is possible? I know it's clear by now that I have difficulty with visual-spatial issues (my 2nd brain surgery went really wrong and I was resuscitated twice and spent a week on a ventilator followed by months in-patient learning to walk and speak again). One of the frustrating lingering issues is the visual stuff, which is why this is the first wearable I've done--but I couldn't resist trying because I'm so in love with your Shawler!

That said, I have read the pattern several times and I still am not quite (ok, not at all) following where to start/attach the hood. I wonder if it would be much trouble to draw an addition to the diagram with a quick doodle on this?

Or maybe if someone is making it and close to this step, if they could snap a quick pic to demonstrate?

I'm really sorry to be so much trouble. This problem frustrates me to no end. I can no longer tell inches from feet from yards from meters etc. 2 inches, 2 feet, it's all the same now. That's one of the things that just never came back.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

*blushes in embarrassment*

Keesha

aw, bless your heart! please don't feel embarrassed. it's a legitimate question even if you didn't have a brain injury. I'll make a little drawing and post it - give me a few minutes.....

That said, I have read the pattern several times and I still am not quite (ok, not at all) following where to start/attach the hood. I wonder if it would be much trouble to draw an addition to the diagram with a quick doodle on this?

Or maybe if someone is making it and close to this step, if they could snap a quick pic to demonstrate?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

*blushes in embarrassment*

Keesha

aw, bless your heart! please don't feel embarrassed. it's a legitimate question even if you didn't have a brain injury. I'll make a little drawing and post it - give me a few minutes.....

I am sure Shelle will have a great diagram! She has been so helpful!

With the hood, I counted out the number of required stitches from the center(actually half the stitches from each side) and marked with saftey pins.

I made the image a little larger. Don't know if this one's better or not....

Shawlerhoodplacementlg.jpg

The writing says:

Measure approx. 28" from A to B

Attach yarn at point B for hood*

(this will be in approx. the 66th stitch)

Work 44 dc, following arrows.

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

I finished the Shawler order for the lady in England. She wanted it made in a grey wool-blend, so I used Lion Brand Wool-ease in Oxford Grey. I love the way it turned out. It's very lightweight, but warm. She wanted a braid & tassle on the hood. In case anybody is making one with ww yarn, here are the stats for this particular shawler. I used 8 skeins, 197 yds. each, so that's almost 1600 yds. as opposed to approx. 1100 - 1200 yds. of Homespun. Interesting - apparently the thinner the yarn, the more yards you need. Makes sense.

I started with 40 dc instead of 30, then did my increases spaced out evenly. I did 43 rows each piece. For the cuffs, I did 15 sc for 38 rows. For the hood, I did 56 dc for 24 rows. I did the trim basically the same, except there were more sc of course, but I still did the normal 4 rows. I didn't do the decreases on the hood, so it would come to a point, since she wanted the braid and tassle on it. I sent pics to her and she's excited and anxious to get it! :hook

Shawlergreywool-ease1.jpgShawlergreywool-ease2.jpgShawlergreywool-ease.jpg

Now I want to make myself one in a nice lightweight cotton-blend. Any suggestions? :think

Archived