Shawler CAL

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, here's how to do a collar, if you prefer that instead of the hood.

Two ways - In the first picture, it's simply the first 7 rows of the hood. Period. But, if you like the way the collar looks on the White Shawl better, you do an increase in the first and last stitch of every row, starting with the 2nd row. In other words, Row 1: Work your 44 dc same as for the hood. Rows 2 thru 4,5,6,or 7 (however big you want your collar): Work 2 dc in first dc, dc in ea dc to last dc, 2 dc in last dc, ch 2, turn. Repeat Row 2 until you're happy with the size of collar.

Shawler1-1.jpg

Homespun Tudor

Shawler.jpg

Whitecape2.jpg

Bernat Softee Chunky

Thanks so much Shell!!!! This is awesome!

Question. The border. Did you do that before or after you did the collar?

Do you work it around the collar?

thanks

Kath

I took a photo of me in my shawler as well but I'm not very happy with the photo but it gives everyone an idea of how it looks on. I'm quite happy with it and just need to find the right button now. By the way Shelleden I love the version with the collar. Thanks so much for it.meandmyshawler006.jpg

Here's a pic I took this morning of me wearing my Shawler. I put a large button on the front (it's hard to see but it's right next to my thumb in the pic...). I forgot to fold back the cuffs and the pic is a little dark but I think you can get an idea of what it looks like. It's really comfortable!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/happybunnycrochets/shawler002-1.jpg[/img]"]shawler002-1.jpg[/quoIte]

I took a photo of me in my shawler as well but I'm not very happy with the photo but it gives everyone an idea of how it looks on. I'm quite happy with it and just need to find the right button now. By the way Shelleden I love the version with the collar. Thanks so much for it.meandmyshawler006.jpg

I think it looks great on you! Love that red! :yay

It's not easy taking a pic in the mirror...I had no idea how hard it was until I took the one of me this morning.:think

Everyones Shawler looks so beautiful! I am attaching the hood to mine now. I had a little trouble figuring out how to do that! Think I got it tho. I actually ran out of yarn tho! I went at lunch today and got another skein of it. I don't know why I ran out. I bought 6 skeins of Homespun and am using a K hook. I did 38 rows. I'm not sure if I will like it so "breezy" under the arms tho. I haven't added the cuffs yet so maybe that will change it?

I have a question for shelle. I've finished the first side and looped it over my shoulder to check the length in front and back. I'm kinda tall for a girl (between 5ft 8 and 5ft 7) so my shawler is shorter than I invisioned. Looking at the picture of you (Shelle) in yours, I see it comes to the back of your knees (?). That's how long I'd like mine. So do you think maybe if I frog like the last 3 or 4 rows, and increase each row by 6 or 7 stitches (instead of every other row), do you think that would give more length without having more on the arm? Does that make any sense at all? LOL!

Also! I have always had a severe aversion to homespun. 2 or 3 minutes with it and it usually ended up sailing (literally) across the room. The yarn I started with, just did not do this pattern justice, and it was screaming for homespun. So I thought, "ok ok....I'll give it one more shot". Well, I'm happy to report that after about 10 rows or so, and getting used to it, it's really not that bad. And I think I'll be using it more often.

I have a question for shelle. I've finished the first side and looped it over my shoulder to check the length in front and back. I'm kinda tall for a girl (between 5ft 8 and 5ft 7) so my shawler is shorter than I invisioned. Looking at the picture of you (Shelle) in yours, I see it comes to the back of your knees (?). That's how long I'd like mine. So do you think maybe if I frog like the last 3 or 4 rows, and increase each row by 6 or 7 stitches (instead of every other row), do you think that would give more length without having more on the arm? Does that make any sense at all? LOL!

Also! I have always had a severe aversion to homespun. 2 or 3 minutes with it and it usually ended up sailing (literally) across the room. The yarn I started with, just did not do this pattern justice, and it was screaming for homespun. So I thought, "ok ok....I'll give it one more shot". Well, I'm happy to report that after about 10 rows or so, and getting used to it, it's really not that bad. And I think I'll be using it more often.

I wouldn't frog any. No need to do that. You could just add some more rows, and try doing what you said - do the increases in every row. Hopefully that will work. I don't think it would make your sleeves too awfully long - besides, you can always roll the cuffs up if you want. If you notice, my sleeves are actually too long, but I like them that way. I'm 5' 5 & 1/2" - 5' 6" and I did 40 rows. My friend Sandy is about 4" shorter and I did 36 rows on hers. Also I decided to sew the sleeves up a little farther. I sewd up about 4 dc rows on the sleeves.

I'm so glad you gave HS another chance!! :clap I absolutely love it. It's machine washable (gentle cycle and wash separately) and dryable (tumble on low for just a few min., then let air dry).

Everyones Shawler looks so beautiful! I am attaching the hood to mine now. I had a little trouble figuring out how to do that! Think I got it tho. I actually ran out of yarn tho! I went at lunch today and got another skein of it. I don't know why I ran out. I bought 6 skeins of Homespun and am using a K hook. I did 38 rows. I'm not sure if I will like it so "breezy" under the arms tho. I haven't added the cuffs yet so maybe that will change it?

You know, sometimes I think there are less yards in some skeins than others. I just had a few yards left out of my 6 skeins.

You can sew the sleeves up as far as you like. Try it on as you sew, and stop wherever you want. I decided to sew mine up a little farther, too. About 4 dc rows up the sleeve.

I love it!! btw, I found some large wooden buttons at Walmart for $1.07 They were 1 & 5/8". They had all colors of large plastic ones, too.

I guess in all the excitement my question got missed *laugh*

When you did the collar, Shell, did you do the border before or after and around the collar too like the hood?

Hugs

Kath

Oh, I'm sorry! I think you could do it either way and it would look just fine. If you put the trim on after the collar, you'll need to do 3 sc in each point on the collar so it will lay flat & not curl. :hook

On the white shawl, I didn't do a border/trim at all. And on the HS Tudor shawl, I'm actually doing a hood, just had 7 rows done so far and thought that would work if I wanted to stop there & let it be a collar.

Oh, I'm sorry! I think you could do it either way and it would look just fine. If you put the trim on after the collar, you'll need to do 3 sc in each point on the collar so it will lay flat & not curl. :hook

On the white shawl, I didn't do a border/trim at all. And on the HS Tudor shawl, I'm actually doing a hood, just had 7 rows done so far and thought that would work if I wanted to stop there & let it be a collar.

See, this is the ultimate garment. It works no matter HOW you do it! :cheer

Hugs

Kath

I love it!! btw, I found some large wooden buttons at Walmart for $1.07 They were 1 & 5/8". They had all colors of large plastic ones, too.

That's where I got my wooden button for mine! They had a really nice selection of big buttons and you gotta love the price!

I wouldn't frog any. No need to do that. You could just add some more rows, and try doing what you said - do the increases in every row. Hopefully that will work. I don't think it would make your sleeves too awfully long - besides, you can always roll the cuffs up if you want. If you notice, my sleeves are actually too long, but I like them that way. I'm 5' 5 & 1/2" - 5' 6" and I did 40 rows. My friend Sandy is about 4" shorter and I did 36 rows on hers. Also I decided to sew the sleeves up a little farther. I sewd up about 4 dc rows on the sleeves.

I'm so glad you gave HS another chance!! :clap I absolutely love it. It's machine washable (gentle cycle and wash separately) and dryable (tumble on low for just a few min., then let air dry).

I went back and counted my rows again, and I only have 38 rows. So I'm taking your advice on the "no froggin" and do 3 more rows, increasing each row. I'll let you know how it works out. I love this pattern!

Ok, well I realized about 2/3 of the way thru the first side of my shawler that i had totally goobered it. :sigh So I started the second side and am correcting my mistakes as i go, then will go back and fix the other side. Luckily its not too far back that I have to :frog so I feel pretty lucky about that. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of the week....if not then the middle of next week.

Ok, well I realized about 2/3 of the way thru the first side of my shawler that i had totally goobered it. :sigh So I started the second side and am correcting my mistakes as i go, then will go back and fix the other side. Luckily its not too far back that I have to :frog so I feel pretty lucky about that. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of the week....if not then the middle of next week.

Hope that side will be easy to fix? I hate it when that happens!!:yes

I'm about 2/3 of the way through my second side, and then I get to work on those cuffs that seem to be eluding my efforts to get them on their correctly! :think I've tried twice; the first one somehow I increased with every row and didn't notice 'til I finished the last one, held it up, and just about bust a gut laughing :lol Then the second time it was coming out just all wonky and bumpy at the end of the cuff and all that, so I think I need to take some quiet time, and just focus on the cuffs and nothing BUT the cuffs 'til they're done and right!

Mother's day is fast approaching! :eek

Archived