Shawler CAL

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll work up a little swatch and post pics. Might take a few minutes.

You're basically working your sc away from the sleeve, then back towards it, then away from it, like at a right-angle instead of going along the row.... eh, it's hard to paint a picture with words.... I'll be back....

So you're kind of adding it on sideways and attaching it with the slip stitches, right? So it'll be sort of stretchy (like a knitted cuff)...maybe.

So you're kind of adding it on sideways and attaching it with the slip stitches, right? So it'll be sort of stretchy (like a knitted cuff)...maybe.

Yes! Exactly! Working in back lps only gives it a ribbed effect. I went ahead & did up a little swatch. I don't know why the pics turned out so dark (all but one), but I think you'll be able to see it okay.

cuff4.jpg

Blurry, but hopefully you can see what's going on here after Row 1 of the cuff.

cuff.jpg

After 2nd row of cuff.

cuff1.jpg

After 3rd row.

cuff3.jpg

Pretending this is a full size sleeve, cuff is done.

Hope this helps. :hook

I have been fighting with my computer to add pictures of finished projects, but I managed to get one pic uploaded to my blog of the finished shawler. I have 2 more I was going to upload, but my computer has other ideas. I'll keep at it, but if you look in my siggy my blog is listed there and you can see the pic there.

Can't wait to see other finished pics!

I have been fighting with my computer to add pictures of finished projects, but I managed to get one pic uploaded to my blog of the finished shawler. I have 2 more I was going to upload, but my computer has other ideas. I'll keep at it, but if you look in my siggy my blog is listed there and you can see the pic there.

Can't wait to see other finished pics!

That came out awesome!! I can't wait to see everyones and share my pics too! I am so in love with mine with the contrasting cuffs in WW yarn!

Too bad its 90 degrees today :/

Hugs

Kath

Wow! Shebop, that's gorgeous! I love the toggle! That's one of my favorite colors of HS, too. You should put that on the Lion Brand Gallery. Great job!! Can't wait to see everybody else's!:cheer:clap:yay

I just looked at this CAL and pattern for the first time, and I really like the looks of it. I'm seriously considering it, but I have a question--what yarn weight is Homespun? I live outside the US and have to substitute something here. Also, could anyone with a label handy let me know how many yards are in one skein? I want to do some leg-work and figure out how much the yarn will cost before I invest in the pattern.

Thanks for your help! (I'm going to be peeking in here now and then to see your finished projects!)

Homespun is a bulky weight. It's got some texture to it, too, so some people find it difficult to work with. Once you get accustomed to it, though, it's not bad at all. It's 185 yds. per skein. Any weight yarn can be used though. Some people are making it with ww yarn. You might have to add a few rows to get the size you need, but this design is very adaptable. :hook

Here's a link to the Lion Brand website.

Hey shell! Mrs designer!

*Innocent smile*

I have finished 2 of your lovely shawlers, both super warm and snuggly for wearing out in the cold.

But I am making another in WW for wearing around the house in the winter, more of a shawl than something to wear out in the cold weather. More of a part of what I wear, if that makes sense.

I was wondering.........How about adding a collar option to the pattern for us, as I don't want a hood but still need some "neck" finishing ideas :)

Hugs

Kath

:yes:yes:yes:yes

What a fantastic idea!! :hook

Oh, and I just found out that the yarn I'm using has been discontinued! :eek So thank goodness for AC Moore, they found a batch of it that should finish this thing off, and they're going to have it delivered to the store near me to pick up! :cheer

Finally finished the back pieces and have them stitched together, trying to think of a solution for the cuffs tho. I am working with Moonlight mohair and its kinda scratchy feeling and I am thinking I don't really want scratchy on my wrist.. anyway having a brain fart as to making the cuffs out of a different yarn and what yarn to use. I want it to blend, I think... I'm lost..... HELP!!!!

Finally finished the back pieces and have them stitched together, trying to think of a solution for the cuffs tho. I am working with Moonlight mohair and its kinda scratchy feeling and I am thinking I don't really want scratchy on my wrist.. anyway having a brain fart as to making the cuffs out of a different yarn and what yarn to use. I want it to blend, I think... I'm lost..... HELP!!!!

I had a similar problem, the yarn I used was entirely too fuzzy for cuffs to even look like cuffs so I used a contrasting color that was in the main color I used in a smooth yarn.

Could you take a picture? or a link to the yarn?

Then maybe the gals around here who are so briliant and creative could suggest something.

Hugs

Kath

Its Glacier Bay so I'd like something kinda close or maybe I should go completely opposite...

That is really beautiful!

You know what I would do.

Take it to my stash or to the store and hold it up against several yarns that have the same wash instuctions and see what screams at you and that you fall in love with.

Hugs

Kath

I have been fighting with my computer to add pictures of finished projects, but I managed to get one pic uploaded to my blog of the finished shawler.

Lovely colors and the toggle is cool!!

Hi everyone, I'm new! I just bought the pattern and am patiently waiting for it to arrive!!!

I should introduce myself...I'm Anne, mother of 2 little boys 3.5 and 2! I have been crocheting for about 2 years but its become very much like an addiction!!!

Can't wait to start this!!!

Hi everyone, I'm new! I just bought the pattern and am patiently waiting for it to arrive!!!

I should introduce myself...I'm Anne, mother of 2 little boys 3.5 and 2! I have been crocheting for about 2 years but its become very much like an addiction!!!

Can't wait to start this!!!

Hi, You're going to love this pattern! I'm almost finished my first and I already have lots of plans in my head for my next 2 or 3! LOL

Hey shell! Mrs designer!

*Innocent smile*

I have finished 2 of your lovely shawlers, both super warm and snuggly for wearing out in the cold.

But I am making another in WW for wearing around the house in the winter, more of a shawl than something to wear out in the cold weather. More of a part of what I wear, if that makes sense.

I was wondering.........How about adding a collar option to the pattern for us, as I don't want a hood but still need some "neck" finishing ideas :)

Hugs

Kath

It would be really pretty in a WW with a shawl collar....

I just got the pattern! I am so going to love working on something so beautiful!!!

My question is do you find its a pattern that works up fast? I'm just so impatient! lol

Hey shell! Mrs designer!

*Innocent smile*

Hugs

Kath

Wow, you're fast! Can't wait to see pics! I will definitely work on instructions for a collar. That's a wonderful idea. Look at the collar on the white cape in my Etsy store. Do you like it? Someone else mentioned a 'shawl' collar, which would be bigger - like going down the front of the shawl, right? Describe exactly what you had in mind okay? Thanks! :hook

Wow, you're fast! Can't wait to see pics! I will definitely work on instructions for a collar. That's a wonderful idea. Look at the collar on the white cape in my Etsy store. Do you like it? Someone else mentioned a 'shawl' collar, which would be bigger - like going down the front of the shawl, right? Describe exactly what you had in mind okay? Thanks! :hook

Well I have had a lot of time to crochet at the moment, AND this project is extremely fast to make up. It took me as long to do cuffs, sewing together, hood, weaving in ends as it took to make the two pieces *laugh*

Oh that collar on the white cape is perfect!

I just wanted something like that to make it look finished, ya know?

And that collar is a good size so it will stand up to the shawler beautifully!

I think anything larger, at least for me, would become overkill because the shawler is such a substantial piece.

Btw that cape is beautiful too!!

Hugs

Kath

I agree. I think that collar would look good on it. I'll get it written up & post here for ya'll to print it off. Thanks for the compliment on the White Cape. It's made with Bernat Softee Chunky, and it's so soft & feels so good. (I don't have it written up yet.... so many patterns..so little time):ohdear

Archived