Shawler CAL

Hello Girls! I've finished the 2 sides and sewn them together up the back. I've made both cuffs and sewn one side together, the other will have to wait until the kids are in bed. I'm happy with the way its looking, it'll be very soft, warm, and comfortable. I have to admit, sexy it is not, but I'm going to love it anyway!

Can't wait to see pictures!!

Hugs

Kath

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought the pattern last night and started it right away :crocheting I am using Paton's Bohemian Beatnik Blues. I am about 1/2 way finished with one side, my migraine trip to the ER this morning slowed me down :(

But I am trying to work on it with my Dilaudid hangover ;)

I hope you're feeling better :hug. Last spring my 16 year old daughter spent a week in the hospital with a status migraine (the headache actually lasted 3 weeks, but they didn't hospitalize her until the 3rd week). She was on IV Dilaudid, and had to take her SAT II's 2 days later with her dilaudid hangover.

I bought the Homespun today. Thank goodness for the sale at Michael's! I will have to wait to start until I get my son's Babette blanket finished.

BTW I'm on Dilaud, Morphine, and Zanflex every 4 hours around the clock, and Neurontin a few times a day. Most of the time, none of this even takes the edge off.

Another amazing yarn site to order for this pattern is Smileysyarn.com

They have yarn for 0.99 - 1.50 - 2.00 and up....

Can make this for 20.00 easily.

Love this pattern...It is on my to do list later in the year.:cheer

I got my pattern late last week and I've decided on my yarn - HLILTY. But I have questions: What size hook should I use since my yarn is lighter than Homespun? "I" or "J" maybe? Do I need to increase the number of ch to start? Will it come out a lot smaller if I don't increase somewhere? How much more yarn will I likely need? Help Shelle! I'm making this for a friend (and then maybe for my Mom for Mom's Day and I don't want to screw it up! The friend is a big woman and my Mom is a very tiny person so this pattern will get real workout if I can just figure it all out!!! Help! Help! BTW, the Shawler is such a cool idea!!

I started on the hood last night. Its going well and I'm getting anxious to see it all done! I've made a couple of small changes as I've went. I made the cuffs longer, instead of ch 12 I decided to ch 20. I wanted it to be long enough, and if it was really cold I decided I'd like the cuffs to cover my hands, and I can fold them back to make a cuff if I don't want that. I also decided to sew up the sleeves a bit more than called for. Shelle says after sewing the cuff together you can sew up a few inches if you want, I sewed almost to where the elbow will hit. I just decided if its cool enough to wear this I didn't want a bunch of cold air up my sleeves!

Can't wait to hear and see how all of you are coming!

I have about 4 more rows to go on the 2nd side. I am so anxious to complete my shawler and to see everyone's FO! :clap As soon as I finish this one I want to start another in a lighter weight, Thank you Shelle, I am loving this pattern!:manyheart

I just finished my first side on Friday, will start on the second half tomorrow! I was also thinking of sewing up the sleeves a little further than the pattern said....glad someone else thought it was a good idea too!

I got my pattern late last week and I've decided on my yarn - HLILTY. But I have questions: What size hook should I use since my yarn is lighter than Homespun? "I" or "J" maybe? Do I need to increase the number of ch to start? Will it come out a lot smaller if I don't increase somewhere? How much more yarn will I likely need? Help Shelle! I'm making this for a friend (and then maybe for my Mom for Mom's Day and I don't want to screw it up! The friend is a big woman and my Mom is a very tiny person so this pattern will get real workout if I can just figure it all out!!! Help! Help! BTW, the Shawler is such a cool idea!!

I'm not familiar with your yarn. What is HLILTY? Since you say it's lighterweight yarn than HS, you could use a J. I don't think I'd go any smaller though. I'm on my 3rd one in HS, and my next one is going to be LB Wool-ease (a custom-order), which is a ww, so I'll find out just how much more yarn it takes, etc. I plan on using the K hook though. I bought 8 skeins of the wool-ease. I'm not sure how much it will take, so I bought plenty. To answer your question about sizing it for your friend - you will probably need to add some rows to each piece - maybe 4 - 6, but I don't think you'll have to add any additional increases. When you get the first piece done, drape it over your shoulder & see where the wrist part comes down to - it should be almost to your wrist. Remember, you'll be adding the cuff, and that will add about 5". If your friend is larger than you, then you'll need to add a few rows. (If it's not supposed to be a surprise, maybe you could try it on her to see how many extra rows you need to add.) Hope this helps!

Hello everybody - I added a diagram to the pattern - thought it might help when you go to assemble it. Some of you who bought the pattern earlier won't have it, so if you want a new copy, PM me or better yet, e-mail me. Or you can print it off from here. Right click on the picture, and then click on Save As (in your documents or wherever you want) or Print. crochetqueen1@verizon.net or shelleden@msn.com

Shawlerdiagram.jpg

Triskele, I wanted to add that I'm making one for my friend who is several inches shorter than I am, and not nearly as long-armed as me, so I did only 36 rows on each piece instead of 40. So when you make your Mom's you'll probably have to reduce the number of rows.

Shebop - I love your idea of making the cuffs longer and folding them up. Also, I think I'll sew my sleeves up a little farther, too. Today it was pretty cold and windy, and the wind did blow up my arms a little. btw - I get compliments everywhere I go!! Believe it or not, the boy who waited on me at Burger King today asked me - "Did you make that?" I said yes, and he said "My girlfriend crochets." He even knew it was crocheted!!:2rock How about that!:dance

I'm not familiar with your yarn. What is HLILTY? Since you say it's lighterweight yarn than HS, you could use a J.

HLILTY is Hobby Lobby's 'I Love This Yarn' and is a WW. Thanks for the help!

RE: smaller size... thanks Shelle, I'll keep that in mind when I make Mom's. I like the idea of making the cuffs a little longer and folding them up.

I feel stupid, I have read and re-read the cuff directions. I don't understand the the ch 13 Rows 1-3. Wouldn't adding a ch 13 to the wrist area make for a huge cuff? I'm sorry. I must not be understanding something. help appreciated.

You attach the yarn in the first free loop of the beginning chain (on the very first row you made, which is the wrist area), ch 13, then you are single crocheting your way back towards the wrist area. After you've made your 12 sc, you'll join with a slip-stitch to the next free lp (on that same first row of the wrist area). Then slip-stitch in the next free lp, ch 1, turn. Now single crochet in each single crochet (back loops only), ch 1, turn. Does this make it any clearer? :think

You attach the yarn in the first free loop of the beginning chain (on the very first row you made, which is the wrist area), ch 13, then you are single crocheting your way back towards the wrist area. After you've made your 12 sc, you'll join with a slip-stitch to the next free lp (on that same first row of the wrist area). Then slip-stitch in the next free lp, ch 1, turn. Now single crochet in each single crochet (back loops only), ch 1, turn. Does this make it any clearer? :think

Thank you, thank you. (I am sure I was just confusing myself)

I am anxious to finish and start another, I love your pattern.

No problem. If you've never added a cuff this way, I'm sure it would be confusing. I should have added a little drawing or something. It's hard to visualize what you're supposed to be doing. :think Let me know if you have any more problems. I could probably come up with a little drawing & scan it if you think it would help. Or maybe make a swatch of the cuff & take some pictures. :hook

No problem. If you've never added a cuff this way, I'm sure it would be confusing. I should have added a little drawing or something. It's hard to visualize what you're supposed to be doing. :think Let me know if you have any more problems. I could probably come up with a little drawing & scan it if you think it would help. Or maybe make a swatch of the cuff & take some pictures. :hook

I think I have it figured out thanks to your help. I can't wait to post pics when I get it done!

Archived