Shawler CAL

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

I finished the Shawler order for the lady in England. She wanted it made in a grey wool-blend, so I used Lion Brand Wool-ease in Oxford Grey. I love the way it turned out. It's very lightweight, but warm. She wanted a braid & tassle on the hood. In case anybody is making one with ww yarn, here are the stats for this particular shawler. I used 8 skeins, 197 yds. each, so that's almost 1600 yds. as opposed to approx. 1100 - 1200 yds. of Homespun. Interesting - apparently the thinner the yarn, the more yards you need. Makes sense.

I started with 40 dc instead of 30, then did my increases spaced out evenly. I did 43 rows each piece. For the cuffs, I did 15 sc for 38 rows. For the hood, I did 56 dc for 24 rows. I did the trim basically the same, except there were more sc of course, but I still did the normal 4 rows. I didn't do the decreases on the hood, so it would come to a point, since she wanted the braid and tassle on it. I sent pics to her and she's excited and anxious to get it! :hook

Shawlergreywool-ease1.jpgShawlergreywool-ease2.jpgShawlergreywool-ease.jpg

Now I want to make myself one in a nice lightweight cotton-blend. Any suggestions? :think

Oh Shelle! That is fantastic!!!! I LOVE it! I keep getting inspired to try the Shawler in different yarn!

I just ordered the pattern and can't wait to get it... Is it too late to join the CAL?

Jump on in! I am on vacation next week and plan to knock out a few more!

I can't decide between a chenille yarn and a wool blend, course it's getting warmer here so not thinking about cold weather wear but I really like this pattern. Decisions, decisions.

Your grey shawler is beautiful...

One question - isn't Lion Wool-Ease also a bulky yarn the same as your original or is it WW weight?:cheer

That looks great. I'm about half done with the first side. I'm using homespun in Windsor. What size hook did you use?

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

I finished the Shawler order for the lady in England. She wanted it made in a grey wool-blend, so I used Lion Brand Wool-ease in Oxford Grey. I love the way it turned out. It's very lightweight, but warm. She wanted a braid & tassle on the hood. In case anybody is making one with ww yarn, here are the stats for this particular shawler. I used 8 skeins, 197 yds. each, so that's almost 1600 yds. as opposed to approx. 1100 - 1200 yds. of Homespun. Interesting - apparently the thinner the yarn, the more yards you need. Makes sense.

I started with 40 dc instead of 30, then did my increases spaced out evenly. I did 43 rows each piece. For the cuffs, I did 15 sc for 38 rows. For the hood, I did 56 dc for 24 rows. I did the trim basically the same, except there were more sc of course, but I still did the normal 4 rows. I didn't do the decreases on the hood, so it would come to a point, since she wanted the braid and tassle on it. I sent pics to her and she's excited and anxious to get it! :hook

Shawlergreywool-ease1.jpgShawlergreywool-ease2.jpgShawlergreywool-ease.jpg

Now I want to make myself one in a nice lightweight cotton-blend. Any suggestions? :think

I've never started a CAL, but Shelleden's 'shawler' cries out for one. :) (It's at http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75321 if you haven't seen it. Gorgeous!)

I'm going to make mine in Red Heart Plush in purple, and I'm starting tomorrow. Who's with me? :)

Heather

When I click on your link it says I don't have permission to enter. I don't understand why I can't. Can you give me a clue as to why I can't? Thankyou

When I click on your link it says I don't have permission to enter. I don't understand why I can't. Can you give me a clue as to why I can't? Thankyou

Judy, the same thing happens to me when I click on that link, I don't know why, but if you click on Shelle's link to her blog in her signature that will take you to where you can purchase the pattern!

I bought the pattern maybe two weeks ago, I think, and was going to jump right in and join this cal, but my MIL got sick and I have had to be going back and forth to her house to help care for her. I did get the yarn, homespun in Nouveau, and while I sat with her I crocheted my first Shawler! I absolutely love it and now have two more to make! Anyway here are a few pics of mine. I only did through row 27, you can probably tell I am not even a little bit busty and only 5 ft. 3 in! There wasn't a button on it yet in the pic either, but there is now! Also I have very skinny wrists so in order for the cuffs not to hang over my hands I ended up slip stitching in a total of 5 of the free loops instead of the two, and surprisingly to even me, it worked out great! Thanks so much for such a wonderful pattern Shelle! And thanks for looking girls! Pics are clickable.

th_MiscPics123.jpgth_MiscPics124.jpgth_MiscPics127.jpg

I am enjoying seeing everybody's Shawlers!! :clap

Thery4: I love yours - Nouveau is one of my favorite colors of HS. :cheer

Mardar: I used a size K hook. :hook

Jessecat: LB Wool-ease is worsted weight, but there is also a LB Wool-ease Chunky and Wool-ease Thick & Quick, which is REALLY thick. (I think the Chunky would be very similar in weight to the Homespun) :yarn

Hooklady: It's never too late! Jump right in. I'm starting another one. :yes

Thanks everybody for the compliments on the grey Shawler. I sent it off to England this morning. Hope she likes it!! :D

Thanks so much Kim and Shelle! I am starting my second one tomorrow! I was at the grocery store this morning and since it was a chilly morning, I wore my shawler....and the best compliment I got was from a young father, he said I really like your sweater...that is really awesome! Then I saw a friend of mine at another store and she asked why was I dressed up! I was wearing jeans and my shawler! I just love this thing! Now I have to get two others done before I can make another one for me!

Kim...I saw yours on Ravelry....love those colors! I don't think I have seen one made by anyone that I haven't liked! Shelle you have come up with a winner of a pattern! Kudo's to you!

Thanks so much Kim and Shelle! I am starting my second one tomorrow! I was at the grocery store this morning and since it was a chilly morning, I wore my shawler....and the best compliment I got was from a young father, he said I really like your sweater...that is really awesome! Then I saw a friend of mine at another store and she asked why was I dressed up! I was wearing jeans and my shawler! I just love this thing! Now I have to get two others done before I can make another one for me!

Kim...I saw yours on Ravelry....love those colors! I don't think I have seen one made by anyone that I haven't liked! Shelle you have come up with a winner of a pattern! Kudo's to you!

Thanks!! You know, I had the same thing happen - I was just arriving home and bringing in groceries and my SIL stopped by and she said "Where have you been all dressed up?" :lol I just had my regular old jeans on.

I can't wait to make another one in a cotton blend - probably LB Cotton Ease like HappyBunny suggested. Sigh.... now I have to go yarn shopping... darn.

:yay

Here's my first shawler. I made this one for my Mom for Mother's Day.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/stonezebra/crochetville/momshawler.jpg

And here's a close up of the button I used:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/stonezebra/crochetville/closemomshawler.jpg

Still working on the one for my friend...

Triskele...WOW that is nice! What yarn did you use? Very nice, indeed! I bet your Mom loved it! My Mom wants one now too...so that's three more I am going to make!

Triskele...WOW that is nice! What yarn did you use? Very nice, indeed! I bet your Mom loved it! My Mom wants one now too...so that's three more I am going to make!

Thank you. I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn (and I do). The hardest thing I've found about making these so far is finding a button to go with them. All the fabric stores around here have gone out of business and the others that have buttons have a very limited selection of small buttons. I lucked out with this one.

Just finished the 1st half of my 5th Shawler. This is Boku by Plymouth Yarns. It's similar to Noro Silk Garden, but cheaper. This is really going to be colorful! It's 95% wool and 5% silk. I bought 2 skeins of 6 different colors, and did 5 rows of each color, then started over with the first color. I've used almost all of 6 skeins so far. I don't think I'm going to have enough for the complete Shawler with cuffs and hood, so I'll probalby just buy 2 more skeins for the hood.

Yesterday it was quite chilly here in east-central Indiana, and I wore my Homespun Shawler to the grocery store. When I came out, it was raining lightly, so it was nice to have the hood to throw over my head while loading groceries into the car. I did 42 rows on this one, and used a K hook.

shawlerBoku1.jpgshawlerBoku.jpg

I know this really isn't the right yarn for Spring/Summer, but it was just so pretty I couldn't wait to see what it would look like worked up. I really want to make one in a light-weight cotton blend next. :yes

I just got home after 6 days in the hospital. The only thing that saved my sanity was having my Shawler there to work on. Unfortunately I didn't have the pattern or notes with me and I couldn't recall what the new notes from Shelle (THANK YOU) said, so I ended up working on the cuffs. One cuff is finished, the other cuff is about 80% done.

I'm SO glad to be home, for many reasons of course, but I'm really excited I can FINALLY get the Shawler done now that I am reunited with the pattern!

I think every single nurse, aide, and tech that came in my hospital room raved over how the Shawler looked and how great the yarn and color were. :)

Aww, what a wonderful story - I'm so glad you're home. Hope you're feeling better! And I'm sooooo happy my design brought you some joy during a difficult time. :hug God bless you!

Just finished the 1st half of my 5th Shawler. This is Boku by Plymouth Yarns. It's similar to Noro Silk Garden, but cheaper. This is really going to be colorful! It's 95% wool and 5% silk. I bought 2 skeins of 6 different colors, and did 5 rows of each color, then started over with the first color. I've used almost all of 6 skeins so far. I don't think I'm going to have enough for the complete Shawler with cuffs and hood, so I'll probalby just buy 2 more skeins for the hood.

Yesterday it was quite chilly here in east-central Indiana, and I wore my Homespun Shawler to the grocery store. When I came out, it was raining lightly, so it was nice to have the hood to throw over my head while loading groceries into the car. I did 42 rows on this one, and used a K hook.

shawlerBoku1.jpgshawlerBoku.jpg

I know this really isn't the right yarn for Spring/Summer, but it was just so pretty I couldn't wait to see what it would look like worked up. I really want to make one in a light-weight cotton blend next. :yes

Shelle, that is gorgeous! I love the colors! I finished my 3rd Shawler made from LB Suede in fucshia, my favorite so far! (I'm keeping this one:manyheart) I have to put a button on it and will see if I can get hubby to take a pic of me wearing it this afternoon.

I really can't thank you enough for this pattern, it has been such a confidence booster for me, I will be using the cuff method on future sweaters.......I was intimidated at first, but now they are a breeze, thanks so much for your help. I have had several people ask me to make one for them, but I have no idea what to charge.

Thanks! Wow, you've made 3 already? That's great! Glad you like the pattern. Another way to do the cuffs is - You can start with the cuff - ch however many you want, depending on how long you want them, then work 28 rows sc in back lps only, then ch 2, and now work 30 dc evenly across the long side, working in ends of sc rows. Either way works fine.

I can't wait to see your Suede Shawler. I bet it's gorgeous!!

Archived