How do you buy your craft supplies?

How do you buy your crafting Supplies?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How do you buy your crafting Supplies?

• I cruise the craft stores.
    • I buy online.
    • Both

I was wondering how everyone buys their crafting supplies. I see that alot of people buy their supplies online...for convenience or necessity. I am a hands on person. I like to touch, look, hold it in my hands...I don't really buy online. I bought 2 hooks online but after I got them I really didn't like them (shape was different than I'm using). Patterns are different though. I buy most of my patterns online from the designers.

So how do you buy your supplies and why?

I'll buy from online if I know what I'm specifically looking for (brand and color) and can't find it in the stores. Otherwise I don't have the patience to go through all the different brand options when looking for a certain color.

Hi :yay

I too like to browse craft stores, touch, feel, imagine what I'd make with a certain yarn or color. I love to buy clearance yarns! I have so many magazines, books, and leaflets, that now I only download patterns online. I've bought hooks online, but those are for my collection of unique and pretty hooks.

I like to check out the craft stores... never know what new colors they will be carrying. Also it's a great place to me to introduce people to The Handmade Afghans Project - they ask why I'm buying a cart full of yarn and it's usually two or less skeins per a color. :hook

I do both, because I work so much I barely have time to get to town, so I do a lot of my buying on ebay. I like to get the most for the least amount of $:heart. Most everything I buy is just acrylic for squares and charity stuff. When I do get the chance to get to town I go to Hobby Lobby and pet :yaythe yarn, I buy most of my baby yarn there. I have to feel that to make sure it is soft enough.:crocheting

I wait for sales at craft stores for most of my purchases. I do buy some yarn on line when it is a good bargain. I have to watch my dollars pretty closely so having to add S & H onto the prices puts many of the yarns out of reach for my budget. The other thing is that on line you usually "use a credit card" for payment which makes going in debt for my "addiction" way too easy. When I go to a LYS or craft shop, I only bring what cash I have earmarked for "fun money" and when it's spent I'm done shopping. Easier to stay on budget that way.

I'll buy from online if I know what I'm specifically looking for (brand and color) and can't find it in the stores. Otherwise I don't have the patience to go through all the different brand options when looking for a certain color.

I'm pretty much the same way.

Beverly

I wait for sales at craft stores for most of my purchases. I do buy some yarn on line when it is a good bargain. I have to watch my dollars pretty closely so having to add S & H onto the prices puts many of the yarns out of reach for my budget. The other thing is that on line you usually "use a credit card" for payment which makes going in debt for my "addiction" way too easy. When I go to a LYS or craft shop, I only bring what cash I have earmarked for "fun money" and when it's spent I'm done shopping. Easier to stay on budget that way.

I prefer to pay cash whenever possible instead of incurring more debt. If I know I will only have a small amount to pay in full, then I might buy online.

Don't like to add to existing balances.

Beverly

I'm always on the hunt for a bargin...so, if I see a pattern or yarn in a store that I like, I will cruise the internet first to see if I can get it cheaper first. Ebay is good for that. Then, if I can get it with a coupon or a sale, I will purchase it in the store.

Nowadays, what with the price of gas, I'm doing a lot more shopping online (in a lot of cases, the cost of shipping is cheaper than the gas would be, especially if you take advantage of free shipping for over a certain dollar amount). There is nothing I hate worse than spending gas money to go to a store and find they don't have whatever tool or yarn I'm looking for.

I love going to the craft stores to check out the yarn, but sometimes there is a color I need that no one seems to have. I go on the internet, hunt it down, and by a few so I am never caught without it again.

I do a bit of both...if the stores don't have what I want, I'll shop online (mostly yarn, sometimes a book...those are treats--mostly I download freebies, though I've purchased patterns online too...the book selection in the craft stores here just don't cut it) with the stores, I watch for the sales and the coupons. I'm trying not to build/add too a stash, I have no room for one, really...but I've got PIGs and a couple of JoAnn's sensations just had to come home (they were clearing them out at $5 ea). If I'm shopping online, it's easier to stick to my "list"...ie, "need [this yarn] for [this project] vs petting extra "its on sale's" in my cart which add up frighteningly fast!

I buy a lot at Wal-Mart..trying top stop doing that so I am no lnger supporting cheap overseas labor. I also shop Michaels, Hobby lobby (in another city!), JoAnn and anywhere else I can. I also sew and do plastic canvas..Sadly..ALL made in China!

I buy hooks and pattern books online, mostly Ebay. I also will buy yarn for big projects online because the local stores never seem to have enough of the colors I want in stock. I like keeping a list of stuff I need and then buying off Joann's when they have free shipping. Saves me a trip the store, I get the amount I need, and it costs the same as if I'd gone to the store myself. For smaller projects, especially thread, I just buy from my local Joann's, Michael's or Wal-Mart.

I prefer to pay cash whenever possible instead of incurring more debt. If I know I will only have a small amount to pay in full, then I might buy online.

LOL!! This is the ONLY reason I bring DH along. If he complains once about taking too long or even the fact we are there, he pays! Sometimes he thinks the $$$ is worth getting me out of the store!!

I am thinking of purchasing online, but my problem is that alot of the time I am afraid that I am getting "cheated". I buy my eyes, noses, and accessories at different stores, but they are starting to get scarce. Hobby Lobby I have been told is the best but the closest is 2 hrs away!

Personal opinion: What websites do you all think are the best for selection, price, shipping and service? Mostly for accessories. I don't think I will be buying my yarn online since I enjoy the petting. Unless I get the "staple" supply of RH.

It really depends on what craft supplies I'm after. I pretty much like to check out all the craft stores in town, and if they don't have what I want at a decent price then I'll try online.

Some things are only available on line -- like my Hero hook collection. One has to use eBay to find the older hooks.

However, I like to touch the yarn and see how it springs and looks. Sometimes the online coloring is a bit off.

Both - I buy online if it's yarn that I've used before & I know what to expect. Sometimes I can catch a good deal & even with the shipping it's not so bad.

I can't find a decent craft store near me. The JoAnn's nearest me didn't have any yarn last time I went in and the sales clerk looked down her nose at me when she realized I wasn't in there for fabric. I love Michael's but their prices are a little high for me. On the days when I can get to Hobby Lobby I spend wayyyy too much money. They're the best I've been able to find so far.

I go to craft stores when there are sales. I don't normally buy on line cuz I'm one of those that wants my stuff NOW and I don't want to wait for it to get here! (Like a little kid, huh?)

I don't buy much online, but I do order from catalogs sometimes, if the craft stores don't have what I'm looking for. Mostly I buy from the stores though, because I usually pay cash for my purchases.

Archived