Join anytime to a 6 to 24 point star rr, pattern included that Aggie May has written!

Cotton Candee

I am making progress in finishing up wips so I can start this cal on Friday. Here is a pic of my latest rr, I made this one for my mil, her birthday was Sunday. I gave it to her on Monday, she loved it. Now I have one more rr (baby size) and two other ghans I am finishing then it's on to one for me!! (it's very hard not to just start this cal, but I am trying to be good and finish my wips):devil

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN4169.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am making progress in finishing up wips so I can start this cal on Friday. Here is a pic of my latest rr, I made this one for my mil, her birthday was Sunday. I gave it to her on Monday, she loved it. Now I have one more rr (baby size) and two other ghans I am finishing then it's on to one for me!! (it's very hard not to just start this cal, but I am trying to be good and finish my wips):devil

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN4169.jpg

Pretty rr!

...and I'm never WITHOUT wips - I'm hopeless:blush

Okay, I'm in. I saw where someone had made a rr for a chair that my neice has and decided I wanted to do one for her Birthday (April 8th). Am currently working on a sweater for my MIL's bday (March 1), so will be alittle slow in the beginning. And my luck with ripples hasn't been good in the past, but I'll try again. Will be nice to have a group working on one too so I can ask questions if I get stuck, which I expect I will :P.

ok first let me say that me and the annies attic pattern have had a difference of opinion my hubby says i need counseling lol as i threw the pattern away now i am freeforming it the way i see it in my head by looking at the pattern since i was tired of seeing the words fasten off now i know yall are probably laughing but it drove me nuts seriously so now let me show you my work as i started freeforming it on round 9 lol

011.jpg

now that i have that out in the open lol i must say that the pictures are so pretty i am so happy we have this crochet along even if i had some anger management problems lol with a pattern i told hubby hes just lucky that it wasnt him saying fasten off lol i was going insane

Sorry it is so long but I figured long is better than like 10 posts in a row :D

darski wrote: Wallmart happened. I have a ghan I am making for a great gramma to give and I ... fell from grace.

:wlol

<helping darski up> Aw you didn't fall from Grace but just tripped a little... :hook

You may be a poet

and not know it

but your lines show it

:haha

(note the first lines are not my own cause Im NOT a poet to be sure)

Lisa .....

:lol Thankx Lisa! very sweet of you!

Pat wrote: :embar
Well Sue, now I'm a little embarassed. I didn't see my name on your list when I looked that's why I mentioned it. I did enjoy my poem though, :ty

Well I did go to AC Moore, Michaels, and Walmart and could not find coordinating yarn at any of them. :angry I guess I'm going to have to decide what colors I want and go to all three stores so I can have colors that match.

:flakeWell, it's snowing here and a lady just wiped out my mailbox. I'm glad she's ok but now I have a mailbox duct taped to the telephone pole. :gotmail oh well.

Pat Don't be embarrassed! I am the one who messed up! I just didn't finish the welcome. So sorry 'bout the mailbox... maybe crochet it a band-aid? :lol Too bad you don't have a Hobby Lobby... I really need to buy some of their stock, not yarn stock but company stock!

Tena wrote: Hi all !

Just a quick note to say hi, worked on my rr a bit in between sick kido's

Talk to you all soon,

Hope the kidlets get better soon Tena and I hope you don't get it! Post a pic when you can! I would love to see what you have done so far.

~ Sharon ~ Love your work and colors with the double strands! :yes

~ Valerie ~ Great work on your rr too! :yay Love the colors!

Micky ~ As Melissa stated, this pattern is just awful. I bought it for way too much on ebay and you are tying off every few stitches... literally. I tried to find it for sale somewhere but I couldn't. sorry... I am about to do what Melissa is doing if I can't figure it out completely. Look at darski's pics and read what she wrote and see if you can do it that way. Would that help? btw... are you joining us??? I will put your name down if you are. :cheer

Okay Susan, I added your name and here is your offical welcome :welcometo the RR CAL! I am also hoping for help on here before I go coo coo :coo

I agree with darski and love looking at everyone's work and it fills me with inspiration to do this!

I must confess that I had a real bad night last night... My niece was using the PC for a project so I decided to start my rr... I got the middle done in the colors I wanted and noticed it was not laying flat at all... It looked like one HUGE ruffle... I am using a much lighter yarn in the very middle so I thought that might have been the reason why until I came to the conclusion that it would help and not be the cause of my dilemna... So there I sat trying to flatten it out when it dawns on me that I can't count at all at the age of 49! My pattern starts out with the 6 points but I guess that wasn't enough, cuz I had 7! Yes 7 of the little pointy critters just sittin' there laughing at me... Now, I laughed at Melissa and her being upset with this pattern and how she threw her temper tantrum but I was no worse. Once I counted the 7th point for the upteenth time, I picked it up, threw it down, and then tried to throw it across the room to a wall... so you can imagine this little rippled up star floating through the air and landing maybe 4 feet from me and me all cussing and cursing... DH walks in and asks what all the commotion is about and I am just sitting there on the couch repeating over and over just how stupid I am... He walks over, sees my star on the carpet, picks it up, and asks me, "don't you need this?" I told him no, that I made him a coaster and he was happy and it left my sight! sheesh... I thought this was going to be relaxing... So, Melissa, my friend,:hug you may be a sister in spirit that I never had! :lol Oh, and I love your pics too... :photo

Sue,

That was great, I am :rofl. My other half came in to see what I was laughing at and I told him and he said "oh, so you're not the only one who yells at your yarn." I'm sure we can all relate to you and Melissa.:yes

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I am so glad to know it is not just me!! DH just looks at me and shakes his head when I get frustrated when working on a pattern that I just can't get. For those of you who are first timers, my first rr looks to me like a circular saw blade, it has 13 points (it was the 12 point pattern), my daughter still loves it anyway because I made it for her, but I just chalk it up to experience, and what not to do next time. The biggest thing I learned is to count the stitches, frequently. and look for that first stitch after the large shell.

The link is a pic of my first attempt:blush

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN3859.jpg

What really gets me is how many times I did count the stitches and the points... and the stitches... and then the points... I just don't know what I was thinking... It still gets me! I am a full grown woman, a mother of 2, a grammy of 2... was a math major.. yea, a math major... I have degree in geology with a chem minor... I do have a brain... yet I can't count to 7???? Well, I am off here for tonight and will check back in tomorrow night on everyone and see any new pics. I am not going to try to start it again and have DH count for me!:think

Oh yea... I guess I should say that "I am NOT smarter than a pre-schooler"...:blush

Hi Everyone! Boy, my computer's been down all day, and I finally get to come here and look at how busy everyone's been! I've been trying to finish up a few things before Friday, but I just might start my RR before then. Your folks have me primed to start! :hook

ROTFL wow glad im not the only one that can't count. My first rr was a spiderman one, it has 11 points not 12 and I didnt figure that out til I was completely done with the entire thing and puttin on the lines to make it look like a web. At that point I gave it away with just the 11 points, I have no clue where I lost one point at and by then I didnt care lol. I am going to attempt to start doing it with 6 points but may end up giving up and starting with the 12 and working towards the 24. My first rr or the ones after I do believe that I didnt put a stitch in the dc after the shells and I found that when I start counting that is when I mess up. I guess if I actually counted I would pry throw mine to. I figure what I dont know can't hurt me.

:hookty everyone for making me laugh lol i have to say i really like the winging it now i have a little problem with it curling still but im working on it lol no more yelling tonight so thats good and ive always wanted a sister lol so ill be your long lost one lol as long as you dont say fasten off

...And here I am stressing out about counting and points and valleys.:hook

Im so sorry about too many or too few points, but I must tell you that I look at all of your stunning creative work and you are goddesses ! :rose

:crocheting...and I know now that Im not alone in missing points.

I think they went the way of the lost socks:think

:ghug

:crochetingSue--The first rr I made I had problems with the ruffle-effect. I read on someone's post to use a larger hook if that happened. So I did. I frogged a lot and tried hook sizes H through N. I ended up using the N hook. I use 2 strands of ww so if you're using only a single strand you probably won't have to size-up your hook that much. The mid-section still had a slight wave to it but as it grew bigger, the wave seemed to go away.:mdust

Micky ~ As Melissa stated, this pattern is just awful. I bought it for way too much on ebay and you are tying off every few stitches... literally. I tried to find it for sale somewhere but I couldn't. sorry... I am about to do what Melissa is doing if I can't figure it out completely. Look at darski's pics and read what she wrote and see if you can do it that way. Would that help? btw... are you joining us??? I will put your name down if you are. :cheer

I don't know. I tried to figure out how to just make a regular 6 into a 12 but didn't understand how people were doing it. So I will try and read through what they have written tomorrow and see if it makes sense. I'm really better with patterns than just winging it. But that pic on the pattern booklet is just so pretty, it makes me want to try.

:devil

whatever the issues may be... I love this ghan. totally wow!

lol thank you if only you would have been a fly on the wall :lol

the problem is one the word fasten off was definitely the fav word and the pattern well is definitely not worth paying what i have seen people pay for it i mean it is a breathtaking picture as i have/had the pattern now my trash does

to me and this is simply my opinion so i hope not too offend anyone the pattern is simply the worst pattern i have ever tried to follow there is a much simpler way to get to where it is trying to take you without doing the steps it thinks you need to do

Well if it's really true that Annie's Attic will have that pattern in their July catalog, I guess I'll just have to wait. I just don't know if I can wrap my head around how to do it off the top of my head. I need to read the patterns through before I can add my own twists to them. It helps me "see" how it's supposed to be done.

:devil

Well, I have never tried to do anything without a pattern and have no idea how to even begin. Obviously you won't see any original patterns from me. :ohdear After listening to all of your comments about this pattern I may just do the RR and wait until Annie's Attic brings the star pattern back in their July catalog and hopefully it will be easier to follow. The e-mail I orginally received from them stated that they were in the process of re-stitching it so hopefully they will make it less complicated. I really do love the look and want to try and make one.

:cheerLast night, I found my copy of the real 6 to 24 pointer and, using just the picture, I came up with my own version of the start of this pattern.

As I did each step, I took pictures so I could show how it progresses.

I managed to work the centre star without breaking the yarn then started on my second colour.

After a few rows, I realised that there needs to be more increases, rather than just in the points as with a normal RR pattern.

I kept going, to see what would happen and added the next layer of new points and worked another row.

The centre of the star is starting to puff up because I am not increasing enough stitches on each side of the points.

It could have something to do with the fact that I am working in SCs so tonight, I will try again and see if I can work it out in DCs.

I see that in the pattern, they increase on the sides of the peaks and valleys but I was trying to avoid that because it makes them look more rounded.

I will add the pictures when I have loaded them onto Photobucket.

I think it is very interesting how something can look quite easy but really be quite complicated.

It is no wonder people have had trouble with the pattern over the years.

That is why I have the pattern, because someone needed help trying to make it sit flat.

It has to be possible to make such an afghan because we can see the pictures of completed ones.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Here is a link to the first part and you should be able to see the rest from there.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=100_0847.jpg

th_100_0851.jpg

This is as far as I have gone so far.

you are so right lol i made mine puff up in the middle on purpose because my hubby wanted me too lol it was origionally by mistake but i left as he wanted it that way now im increasing the stitches so the rest lays down flat

Archived