granny squares

how do you make your granny squares  

283 members have voted

1. 1. how do you make your granny squares

• round and around, 1 sided
    • turned after each round, 2 sided reversible
    • both ways
    • haven't made any squares yet

I was taught to start and end each row in the corner. then a lady taught me to begin each row in the middle and to turn.

It's real easy, you begin with the row after you do the corners(of 3dc,ch2,3dc's) and when you close, you *ch3, turn 2dc in same space(of in between the corner sets), then go all around, sl st. to close in the begining of 1st ch3. Turn ch3, repeat at*. And that's the beginning in the middle.

And my blankets all come out straight, at least for me.

jaye

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go round and round, but I don't do more than 4 rounds with a 5th round of sc. My squares are usually 6 (+/- 1/4) inches. Bigger ones tend to get a tilt to it. If you make your ending corner *ch 1, hdc in 1st st then work your ch 3, 2 dc over the hdc, work around the square and end with 3 dc in 1st ch sp* then repeat * it doesn't seem to tilt. You always start each round in the center of a corner, not on the side of the afghan. when finish, you ch 3, sl st to join. I hope this makes sense.

Ellie 13

I was taught to go around and around. This was to do small grannies to be pieced together.

I didn't know then that if you keep going around to make a large granny (like a baby blanket) it develops a tilt. Going back the other direction will avoid this problem OR starting each new round in a new corner will avoid this.

I've never turned a granny square, but I've never made one larger than 6 inches or so. I'll have to watch for the tilt if I try to make something bigger. Thanks for pointing this out!

I go around. My first ones came out lopsided until I learned another way of doing it, with each new row starting in the center with a slip stich, then chains to build the next row. They come out perfectly square that way. I learned watching a video online, can't remember the site now though.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know that you could turn a granny (just started crocheting in Oct). Anyway, will have to give that a try next time I'm doing a granny. I'm working on one big granny afghan now but am too far in to start turning. What I will start doing though in my color changes to begin in a different place instead of the same corner. Thanks for all the tips shared everyone!

My mom taught me to make them by turning at the end of each round but I figured out how to do them without turning and they always come out fine. I prefer not to turn them...They have a right and wrong side that way.

I just recently made my first granny square. The pattern said to go around and around, but I noticed the tilt and didn't like it. After frogging and retrying several times, I tried turning it after each round. It worked great for me!

-Stacia

I didn't know you could turn them either. I don't make them anymore because I don't like sewing them together. I have made two king size afghans out of 4" squares. UGGH. Sometimes I would do one huge square.

I voted for round and round, 1 sided. I will add that, if a pattern calls for it, I will turn, but most patterns I have done are same side, so if I create one on my own, this is my default.

Cheers,

I have always gone round and round but Aussie's example is exactly what happens to me and is the reason I stopped making grannies. I am going to remember her suggestion next time I do a granny afghan so it's not tilted. It happens to me with a large granny square and even if making small grannies to be sewn together. Thanks for the suggestion Aussie!

• 3 weeks later...

I have turned them, but I don't like how my chain 3 gets twisted (and I hate taking the hook out and putting it in the other way). So I do mine round and round, which is how I learned anyways. Usually if I am doing a large one, there are at least two colors and since I hate having chains stacked ontop chains while changing color, I always start in a different corner. So I've never had any tilty problems.

I am making a bunch of squares right now using the never ending granny square pattern. So, it is not the traditional granny with groups of three style, but just dc in each dc. Corners are 2dc chain 2 2dc. But, this time I am turning after each row and I just love it!!! It has so much dimention and looks good on both sides!!! Thanks for the hint!! :hug

A hint about that noticeable turning chain...

When I go on to the next row, I never just chain! I chain one, then single crochet in the stitch the chain is over, then chain once or twice (depending on the length you need). It makes a firmer stitch that is a regular thickness so it does not stand out.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never turned a granny square, but I've never made one larger than 6 inches or so. I'll have to watch for the tilt if I try to make something bigger. Thanks for pointing this out!

I've never had a granny tilt, and I've done one that was three feet accros.

Of course, I did change colors every three rows, and I always started in a new corner... is that why it didn't tilt?

Archived