Doily to Afghan Finished! Photos Added

StarStrong

Question

Hi! I saw this doily in The Ultimate Book of Pineapples and really would like to make it as a ww yarn afghan......

The doily is the Square Pineapple Doily and original is 8 1/2" across when done in size 10 cotton. I tried it in double thread, size D hook - it came out 13" across. Now I REALLY want to try it as an afghan (see photo below).... So my questions:

1) should I use single or double ww yarn to get to an afghan size?

2) what size hook would you recommend?

3) about what size afghan would it make? Bigger is better for what I want.

Here's the doily:

th_IMG_0429.jpg

Thanks for your help!!! Deborah

• Answers 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will be a Very Beautiful Afghan. Can't wait to see it done.

That makes two of us :lol It's going to have to be between other projects... my goal is to have it for this Spring. So if I do a couple "doilies" each month I should get there.......... thanks for your nice comment.

Okay, I did some stash diving and found enough white yarn to make an afghan.... so pulled out my "G" hook and gave it a try. Here is the first "Pineapple Square Doily" done in ww yarn. I think I'll need 12 to make an afghan. What do you think?

th_IMG_0431.jpg

Hmm... Personally, with that square, I'd go all one color or all the same verigated. The motif itself is what you want to show off, and all one color does this well. Either verigated or soilid, whatever floats your boat really. I wouldn't go bright neon or anything, but other than that, almot any color would work.

Thinking about my stash I'm thinking a light purple would be good... show off the design :crocheting

Hmm... Personally, with that square, I'd go all one color or all the same verigated. The motif itself is what you want to show off, and all one color does this well. Either verigated or soilid, whatever floats your boat really. I wouldn't go bright neon or anything, but other than that, almot any color would work.

Don't use that big of a hook, go down a few sizes. Try an G or H and a single strand and see what happens.:crocheting

Funny you say that.... on the way to work today I was thinking I should try that :yes Figure it will keep the beautiful of the doily - will have to do a bunch to get an afghan but......

so recommendations for colors -

do I do all the blocks in the same color?

in different colors?

varigated or solid?

Thoughts :hook

Man, that is a beautiful doily.

If you can find a large placemat with a pattern similar to that, it would probably work up into a nice-sized afghanm. Otherwise, I'd go with the joined squares. We have got to see pictures of this when you get it done becaue it will be gorgeous.

Thank you :)

I've started trying the pattern in double strand ww yarn with a "M" hook. I'm not loving it. Doesn't look as elegant. Got half way through the pattern. Figure I'll let it sit for a day or so and go back but right now I'm thinking this pattern looks SO much better in thread. There are larger doilies in the same book - could try one of those in yarn.

Will keep you posted.

Hope your hooks are smoking, Deborah

Man, that is a beautiful doily.

If you can find a large placemat with a pattern similar to that, it would probably work up into a nice-sized afghanm. Otherwise, I'd go with the joined squares. We have got to see pictures of this when you get it done becaue it will be gorgeous.

generally, speaking, assuming you use a real WW yarn, you can expect to get a 'ghan that is 4times the size of the thread version if you are using a 6mm hook.

That would give you a 32 inch square blanket... roughly speaking. You could tell within the first three rounds if you do three in yarn and compare them to the first 3 rounds you got in your thread version.

it couldn't hurt to try 3 rounds. You would also be able to add some more shells into those shells on the last round - with a little playing around to get a few more inches there.

I never knew that about the "4 times" - good info!!!

You are right. It is worth giving it a try. Will do that this weekend and report back.... Thanks!!! :)

Archived