Doily to Afghan Finished! Photos Added

StarStrong

Question

Hi! I saw this doily in The Ultimate Book of Pineapples and really would like to make it as a ww yarn afghan......

The doily is the Square Pineapple Doily and original is 8 1/2" across when done in size 10 cotton. I tried it in double thread, size D hook - it came out 13" across. Now I REALLY want to try it as an afghan (see photo below).... So my questions:

1) should I use single or double ww yarn to get to an afghan size?

2) what size hook would you recommend?

3) about what size afghan would it make? Bigger is better for what I want.

Here's the doily:

th_IMG_0429.jpg

Thanks for your help!!! Deborah

• Answers 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star Strong...

If you get an answer to this, will yuo give me the pattern for that? It's beautiful!!! And I can just imagine an afghan like that. :-)

Susan

The doily pattern I used is in The Ultimate Book of Pineapples. Did a single strand of ww acrylic yarn on either a G or H hook (it's been a while). I think any square or rectangle doily could work for this.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/DeborahS-A/IMG_0678.jpg

That is VERY nice. How many squares did you end up making, and how big did it turn out?

I made 12 squares and the afghan is about 54"x68"....

now my Mom wants me to do it again but in thread as a tablecloth. Not right now but maybe someday....

In between making 6"x9" rectangles right? :wink

Any square or rectangle doily should work. I used a light ww yarn (Pound of Love) and a "G" hook. Can't tell you how much yarn as I was using bit skeins. Looking forward to seeing your doily afghan.

of course in between my 6 x 9 :hook I just finished two more today in the doctor's waiting room. Have HAP bag, will travel.:lol

You could also make 4 really large ones and join, then have a beautiful afghan.

Wanted to do that but the experts here explained that it would not get me a large enough afghan - since I wanted a double bed covered. Would make a nice smaller afghan!!!!!

Deborah, that is one beautiful afghan. You have inspired me to try turning a doily into an afghan.

In between making 6"x9" rectangles right? :wink

Any square or rectangle doily should work. I used a light ww yarn (Pound of Love) and a "G" hook. Can't tell you how much yarn as I was using bit skeins. Looking forward to seeing your doily afghan.

Archived