Doily to Afghan Finished! Photos Added

StarStrong

Question

Hi! I saw this doily in The Ultimate Book of Pineapples and really would like to make it as a ww yarn afghan......

The doily is the Square Pineapple Doily and original is 8 1/2" across when done in size 10 cotton. I tried it in double thread, size D hook - it came out 13" across. Now I REALLY want to try it as an afghan (see photo below).... So my questions:

1) should I use single or double ww yarn to get to an afghan size?

2) what size hook would you recommend?

3) about what size afghan would it make? Bigger is better for what I want.

Here's the doily:

th_IMG_0429.jpg

Thanks for your help!!! Deborah

• Answers 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

generally, speaking, assuming you use a real WW yarn, you can expect to get a 'ghan that is 4times the size of the thread version if you are using a 6mm hook.

That would give you a 32 inch square blanket... roughly speaking. You could tell within the first three rounds if you do three in yarn and compare them to the first 3 rounds you got in your thread version.

it couldn't hurt to try 3 rounds. You would also be able to add some more shells into those shells on the last round - with a little playing around to get a few more inches there.

Very pretty. Since it's fairly small to begin with, you'd want to double strand and use a large hook. (I personally hate Q hooks, but a K or N might be good and not too "loose".) It would probably come out great as a baby blanket (I like those around the 30"+ end), but not so much as a "sitting on the sofa watching TV" afghan. I'm sure you could add a few more rounds of sc or something around the edge to give it a bit more border and size. :shrug

Why not do it as joined squares? That is very pretty and would definitely make a beautiful afghan.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'll keep it in mind but I'd like to do it as one big "doily" - I really like the look of the pattern.

Believe it or not I finally finished my afghan!

It was too late last night to get a good photo - will post one soon (hopefully tomorrow). Just had to share it is done!! :clap

and I'm loving it!!!

That'll be PERFECT!!!!!

Have you decided on a border yet?

Good Question.... I am thinking of maybe using the actually border from the doily pattern. Had to change the edging on the pieces so they would fit together better.

Okay, I did some stash diving and found enough white yarn to make an afghan.... so pulled out my "G" hook and gave it a try. Here is the first "Pineapple Square Doily" done in ww yarn. I think I'll need 12 to make an afghan. What do you think?

th_IMG_0431.jpg

That is beautiful. The afghan will be gorgous.

Debbi

That looks very pretty. There's a thread about what to do with doily's. Someone mentioned sewing them to a solid color piece of fabric as a contrast.

Thanks! :hook

Interesting thought about sewing it to fabric. I'm thinking this will be a light, summer afghan... since it's white that's a good start :sun

That looks very pretty. There's a thread about what to do with doily's. Someone mentioned sewing them to a solid color piece of fabric as a contrast.

Archived