Candystripe Hat & Short Scarf Set

Captain Hook

CANDYSTRIPE HAT & SHORT SCARF SET

This is something, in a fit of selfishness, I put together for myself a while back. It was (obviously) simple - I think I spent almost as much time editing the photo (actually, I just laid them on my scanner) in PSP to erase some of my errors and correct the color as I did on making the hat. Ah, the hazards of being better with your mouse than your hook...

Anyway! I really had fun with this and I'm told they're very cute, mistakes and all, so I thought I'd share. I know it's not the work of a creative genius but I thought someone might like some of my ideas and put them to good use. :)

candystripe.gif

All the Specs You Never Wanted to Know:

The scarf is 9" across and 58" long. Which somehow sounds bigger than it is; it's actually pretty short once you get it on. The hat is 7.5" high with the brim folded up, not including the flower, which really goes directly on top, and 10.75" wide at the brim. The brim is 3.5".

The yarn is just your standard issue Red Heart Super Saver in Burgundy (376) and Soft White (316). There was lots of both 8oz skeins left over. At first I was going to use bright red and pure white, but I decided on slightly more elegant colors. The hook was size I.

Obviously, the hat was worked in the round. I worked only in the back loop, and switched colors for the stripes, which are three dc wide, by stranding. The ribbing on the bottom is alternating dc and FPdc.

The flowers and scarf are pretty straight-forward, I think, and of course consist almost entirely of dcs. The edge on the scarf is one row of sc in soft white and one row of dc in burgundy, worked in rounds.

The Special Detail:

The thing that really makes the scarf fun is how you wear it. I had this idea on my own, though I seriously doubt I'm the first. Still, I've never seen a pattern calling for it, so I thought I'd bring it up.

On one of the stripes, right in the middle, I replaced 3 dc with 3 chs, like with filet, leaving a sizable square hole. I sewed the red flower onto the RS of the corresponding stripe on the other end of the scarf. You fold the scarf in half length-wise and put it around your neck, then open up the ends, and button it under your chin (a few inches down in my case, as I wanted it to be loose) with the flower. I didn't, but one could also stitch or crochet around the hole to reinforce it.

candygram.gif

Okay, I'm done going on and on. I bet you never thought that one person could go on so much about a ridiculously simple hat and scarf set, but the Captain is up to any challenge! :devil

Tween, thank you! :) You're lucky. My high school colors were hot cobalt blue and screaming tangerine orange. Watching people walk around on Fridays (school color day) in their outfits (one girl had a long blue jacket with furry orange fringe and lining) was enough to burn out a person's retinas.

Thank you so much Jackie, crochetfun, Dalia, Ashleigh, Faith, Jody, Kimberly, Michelle, Terri, and Lisa. :) I'm so happy you all like them!

Thank you, Catana. Yeah, I've done that a zillion times, it just works better than a photo for a lot of things. You may want to manipulate the result slightly for color accuracy and contrast, and of course, you can't do large items, but I've scanned more 3D items in my life than I have pictures, I think!

Rebecca, thank you. I'm glad you like it so much! Heh, to be honest, I have trouble keeping scarves on myself, which is part of what led to the idea (at first I was going to make it a keyhole scarf, but once I had put the flower on the hat the button idea seemed obvious.) They always come open, untie, or end up over only one shoulder on me. Bah, I'm hopeless.

Shari, I don't own any sweaters, myself, but in the winter it does get cool enough here in San Diego (California, not Texas) for a light scarf and hat, and if you go to the mountains (which means most of the county) you need something heavier or you'll freeze your tushy off. It doesn't get cold at all in Houston in winter?

I think it's great and something that would sell like crazy around the Christmas holidays. Thanks for sharing your creation!!

Bec :clap

That's great. I can imagine in that in no many color variations. Football team colors, baseball teams, basketball, etc. Would make a great gift set for the males in the family for Christmas presents. Even here in Miami Beach we get cold in the winter enough to wear those to games.

You really think so, Bec? Hmm, if I manage to improve myself some, I might have to try it. Thanks!

Thank you, Julie. :) I'm glad you like.

Pidot, thanks much!

Diamond, thank you. Yeah, I actually considered posting a slightly digitally manipulated picture showing possible color variations. I particularly liked the violet/white and chartruese/white (really!) combinations. I do think that the flowers might have to be skipped to please the gents, though, ya know? ;)

Archived