2 for 1 - Warm Up America and Crochetville!

Crochetville LLC

No rectangles arrived today, so 1,970 is our final total.

Here is the last pile (in the usual position next to the couch :lol ) and boxed up ready to go. I took the package to UPS, and they will arrive at Caron tomorrow!

pile_lastmin.jpg

box_lastmin.jpg

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caron Simply Soft Soften the World Sweepstakes

Crochetville's Stats

We crocheted (and knitted) 1,970 rectangles, which Caron will donate to Warm Up America. Yes, that's one thousand nine hundred and seventy!

Take a bow, ladies!:bow:fame

84 Crochetville members made rectangles. :crocheting:heart

Donna received 104 packages of rectangles. :mail

She collected, tallied, photographed, and packaged them. :photo

Donna and Kathy (losingmymind2) delivered them to Caron. :drive

Thank you for your company, Kathy!

After the contest, Caron will donate these rectangles to Warm Up America, and Crochetville's rectangles alone will make 38 blankets (with a few rectangles left over).

A big round of applause, please for all of our participants! :cheer:ty

You all are the best! :manyheart:ghug:h5

1. 2kute
  2. alibra
  3. alwayscrafting
  4. angelfire
  5. ankey
  6. Ankh
  7. bgs
  8. Buttercup
  9. Champygirl
  10. Charlene
  11. Cherri
  12. Chiscrochetcrazy
  13. cluless
  14. CrisKad
  15. Croninny Nana
  16. curly sue
  17. Debbi-a1
  18. deedes
  19. DesertCrocheter
  20. Donna
  21. dorothysgirls
  22. dragonfly
  23. Eneida
  24. evelyn
  25. ForestW
  26. fuzzypaint88
  27. goofy
  28. Granny Square
  29. grannyannie
  30. Happy Bunny
  31. HappyOldCro
  32. HappyStitcher
  33. hseger
  34. ILuv2Crochet
  35. jeannie1205
  36. JoBug
  37. Karen C.
  38. KellyA
  39. KommunistKandy
  40. LadyBebop
  41. laurah4200
  42. LaurieE
  43. LegalWoman17
  44. Lisa62
  45. lizdini
  46. Lost in Japan
  47. MadCityCrochet
  48. maetta
  49. magiccrochetfan
  50. mamabear10
  51. mamarose22
  52. MarleenCrochets
  53. mellowe67
  54. missmaxx
  55. moonspinners
  56. nana_k
  57. Nancy NE
  58. neatlytangled
  59. Nght
  60. niqita
  61. Nprairie
  62. peachyAmy
  63. pineknott
  64. Pink Peonies
  65. Raccoon
  66. rddugan
  67. Redheart
  68. Robyn
  69. sakurasaku
  70. saranicole01
  71. scc51055
  72. Seneca and Scooch
  73. sewmom
  74. Sharon188
  75. SheffnJerri
  76. szink2002
  77. TeaLady
  78. theworm
  79. tracyleigh
  80. truckin Patty
  81. Uwcheese
  82. walkingal
  83. Wildflwr
  84. yarnscrapper

So What's next? Do we continue this CAL or go our separate ways?
Well, the contest CAL is done now, but I'm sure people would enjoy cheering each other on in a Warm Up America CAL, if someone wanted to start one. I know a lot of folks make these rectangles on a regular basis. I enjoyed organizing this effort and collecting the rectangles, but I can't commit to heading up an ongoing CAL.

:cheer We all deserve a pat on the back (especially Donna!). WTG, Crochetville! Now let's hope we win the prize for group effort (fingers and hooks crossed).

If there is a Michael's near you, they routinely collect squares for WUA, so if someone has really gotten into the groove and is using up stash and leftover balls and doesn't want to stop, keep making them (and you can make from any yarn, not just CSS) and donate them. But I think Donna and her family probably don't want to see another 7 by 9 square for a while. :lol Patty

Thank you, Patty, for mentioning the WUA collections at Michaels. I had forgotten about that because I don't go to Michaels very often. Here is the WUA info page at Michaels: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=20146. It says they have collection bins and that people can contact their Store Event Coordinator if they want to help assemble.

I checked here in Canada with my local store. They aren't sure what they are or are not accepting, where any charity donations go to etc... :irk I was kind of put off a bit. However they told me to call the manager in the morning and they might have a clue. Way to go Canada! :blinkSo.. I think I might send a message to HQ letting them know that if this is their idea of advertising it, then Canada is going to freeze! Hopefully they will have a similar concept going here. I want in on it too!

Sore

P.S. Here's the quick email I shot off. I think it's a shame no one here knows about this!

Hi. I would just like to make a comment actually. No answer necessary. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada and have just recently learned about the Warm-up America Charities. I learned about it from a crochet forum, which was running a charity group for this cause. I was unable to find where it was on your website, until a forum member provided the link for me. However, it has no mention if Canada is involved. I then called our local store and was very politely asked to call a manager the next day for details on a similar charity project. (The clerk who answered the phone was very accommodating and kind, BTW.) Is Canada involved in the warm-up America project? Why is it not advertised? I couldn't get these questions answered. If I had known about this I would have already been involved. Just a friendly reminder that a little advertising on this wouldn't hurt. I'm sure more people would love to help out with charities like this, if they only knew of them.

When will we know if we won?
I'm not sure. The contest advertisement didn't say. I'd bet they probably wanted to give themselves some leeway because they didn't know how many entries they would have or how many rectangles they would have to count. Today was the deadline for all entries to be in. I'll let all of you know as soon as I know anything!

I checked here in Canada with my local store. They aren't sure what they are or are not accepting, where any charity donations go to etc...

The Warm Up America Foundation is a US based charity, so it may not have anything going on in Canada. WUA isn't affiliated with Michaels stores, so they're not obligated to support WUA, but most Michaels stores in the US do collect and assemble sections. I couldn't find anything on the WUA site about Canada or other countries, and on their What is Warm Up America page, it only mentions the US. Maybe Canada has a similar program.

Michaels Stores in Canada have a similar program :

"Blankets for Canada!

Join Canada's needleworkers in creating warm afghan blankets for those in need. Create 20 cm x 20 cm (approximately 8-inch x 8-inch) squares using any basic knitting or crochet patterns. Drop your squares in the collection bin at your favourite Michaels store, and please sign the Contributor List located next to the bin."

Regardless of the official count, I believe we've already won:manyheart
I agree! Not only did we make enough rectangles for 38 warm blankets, but we enjoyed doing it together as a community.

Donna, thank you so much for all you've done for this effort. What a tremendous turn out we had. I'm so glad I was able to participate in this effort. I keep discovering cool stitches to try. So I think I'll keep making rectangles for WUA & dropping them off at my local Michael's.

:cheer:cheer:cheer WTG , everyone :cheer:cheer:cheer

WAY TO GO!!! :cheer Although I made squares, I never got them mailed :( Just an FYI, my local AC Moore also has a WUA group that meets once a month to put together squares. You can also just drop them off...

Archived