Charity Ideas, My 5 year old nephew has cancer...

YaYa Yarnhood

I am so completely touched at the response I have received. Thank you all so much for your support and prayers! Yes the animals are a great idea! However, I feel he will love any gift he receives. And I love the help that RO has given me. Please in addition to the blog, let's label all of our packages "Boxes for Brendan". It will add something extra special for his family to know that a loving group of supporters "joined together" in sending Brendan some love. Again, thank you all so much, I am very grateful!!!!

God bless you ALL!! :heart :heart :heart

Jody

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have another question too, because of where I live now and where I used to live I have access to several pro (and semi pro and college) sports teams products, do you know if he has any favorite teams?

Not sure of a favorite although I do know that he has been to a Mariners game and thought that was pretty cool. Other than that i think he loves sports but doesn't necessarily watch professional games on t.v. too much. Oh and the Dallas Cowboys are a family favorite that he would love too.

My heart goes out to his whole family. Count me in!! I will think of something different to send to him.... but can't wait to hear what everyone has made.:hug Do you mind sharing what type of cancer he has...poor button.

I found out a couple more of Brendan's interests (talked to his dad, my brother this AM)

He is into Power Rangers (very much)

And he also likes Monster Trucks.

Dad is also going to get him a leapster handheld game system.

Brendan's bedroom is decorated with the Solar System.

My family is very touched by your generous support and prayers! :heart

Not sure of a favorite although I do know that he has been to a Mariners game and thought that was pretty cool. Other than that i think he loves sports but doesn't necessarily watch professional games on t.v. too much. Oh and the Dallas Cowboys are a family favorite that he would love too.

Well being as how we live just a tad North of Dallas I think I can manage to snag some Dallas Cowboy's swag for the family.

In the meantime he and his whole family will be in our prayers.

The poor baby! I want to help Brendan anyway I can. I snatched up that button fast and putting it on my blog right now. My little brother's room is solar system and dinosaur so I think I have a few ideas. I also want to add to the zoo and make him an animal, maybe a snake or piggy. Prolly both! I'll PM you for the address sometime this weekend. My heart is with his family.

Well they are doing surgery this morning to see how bad it is, but it is intestinal. The Dr. said it will be about 20 weeks of chempotherapy and will be hard for him as he is already a bit frail.

That poor little boy! :(

Thank you so much for this link. I forwarded it onto my brother as it requires a parent to submit a child's information. I will follow up with him and help him get it filled out. It looks like a great organization. :)

You could try also Make a Child Smile....http://www.makeachildsmile.org. I've sent stuff to some of the kids that have been listed. They do list a mailing address, so it would be best if you had or had access to a PO Box. But I've had some really positive experiences with them.

Jody, thanks for the new info on what Brendan likes. The idea of that surgery just breaks my heart! Poor little sweetheart...

Please keep us posted when you can...

I think if the zoo idea is one that everybody likes we should start a list here of which animals each person wants to make so he doesn't get a lot of the same ones, does that make sense?

I want to make him a duck, and I don't know what else...was at the store scouting cool toys today to shop for in the days to come :)

Crocheted animals for the zoo...

C'ville name: Animal:

Ro Duck

I'll update the list if others want to contribute something!

hugs

Ro

I had started a crocheted stuffed snake for my nephew but abandoned it for a bag of rocks. ;) Literally. I'll get it back out and finish it for Brendan.

your all in my thoughts and prayers, poor baby. he is such a cutie. breaks my heart to think he has to go through this. i am going to make him some animals too. ro's right, we need a list so he don't get a ton of say hippos or something!!!LOL what else do you think he would like. what size is he. i can easly get mariners stuff here in washington. so if he would like a little shirt or cap or something let me know. please keep us informed as to how he is doing. poor little guy, hard enough for a adult to deal with. also please tell his parents that our church is praying also. i called my prayer group today and everyone is including him in prayers.take care and hope all is well for him, maybe it isn't as bad as the doctors think. we cn only hope right?:hug :hug vicki

I had started a crocheted stuffed snake for my nephew but abandoned it for a bag of rocks. ;) Literally. I'll get it back out and finish it for Brendan.

I will make one for his little brother!

Tina

I'd like to contribute however I can. I was thinking about making Brendan a cool beanie with a cartoon theme. Maybe Shrek or Power Rangers. I don't know if I have what I need to make him a kangaroo (that will actually LOOK like a roo) for his zoo. I'll email you now Jody. :compute

Bec :hug

A little update and questions answered...

Brendan will be starting his chemo on Tuesday.

He is a size 5.

I think he would love beanies!!!! And wow, just knowing someone sent him something all the way from Australia, that is cool to a 4 year old!

I made him a funky chicken (this pattern, http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=46) along with a 12x12 soft cuddle blanket that the chicken can hold. And my kids have added a poster drawn by my daughter, my 10 year old son is doing a comic featuring "Brendan the Brave" (my son is his best buddy he thinks is cool) and some books contributed by my youngest. My digicam is broken :( but I did get a friend to take a pix. I will post it when she e-mails it to me.

I just can't say enough thank yous and God Bless You All!! :hug

I know of a Group for kids with cancer, it's called Cancer Warriors. They match the child up with an Angel(s) who sends the child something, cards, smal gift and other packages, twice a month. They also send stuff to the siblings and parents. A lot of the members on a MSN group I belong to are Angels to some of the Warriors(kids) of the group. Some of the moms in the group who have kids w/ cancer signed their child up to be warriors. The founder of this org. is the Mother of a 3 1/2 yr-old cancer survior. Her daughter was dx. w/ Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma at 4 weeks old.

http://www.cancerwarriors.org/

The mission of Cancer Warriors, Inc.

We aim to encourage and support the children, siblings and caregivers during treatment for childhood cancer, raise funds for childhood cancer research while raising awareness and educating the public about the devastating diagnosis of childhood cancer, and honor the precious, young lives lost. Provide financial support to research organizations for rare cancers that do not get attention and funding from pharmaceutical companies, as well as provide financial support to the families with children battling cancer.

The Angel Networkâ„¢ program consist of special people ("Angels") who feel led to encourage and bring smiles to the families with children ("Warriors") battling cancer during the course of treatment and up to their one-year milestone off treatment. Cancer Warriors, Inc.â„¢ feels a happy heart helps heal many illnesses. If a child is cheerful they feel stronger and willing to continue fighting this battle against cancer. This program is not only to help the child feel encouraged. It is also designed to encourage the siblings and parents/guardian so they feel encouraged and know others feel they are extra special as well.

Archived