Charity Ideas, My 5 year old nephew has cancer...

YaYa Yarnhood

Brendan was born with a kidney condition and had them removed while still an infant. After being on dialysis for over a year, a donor was found and he had a transplant at the age of 2. Today he was diagnosed with cancer. I am not sure of the details yet, but this sweet little boy has been in and out of the hospital his whole life. I am sure that including treatment he is in for another long stay and I would like to know which charities you can recommend that I would be able to submit his name too. (To receive care packages and "Cheer Up" type things.) I am making him a cuddle up blankie and would love for him to receive other items as well. I think that knowing generous hearts are out there thinking and praying for them would be very encouraging to this family right now. And please, pray for my brother, his wife, little brother and especially for Brendan.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, that is very generous of you!

Please e-mail me and I will reply with the mailing address.

You may want to mark the package with something to the effect of

"Loving Thoughts for Brendan" or something like that?

I am adding a picture of him...

Brendansoccer.jpg

I am very grateful and I know he will be too!

Dennis bears is a org that donates blankets & of course bears hand made to sick children. I also think putting him on your wish list is a great idea, I know that will get him some fun/feel good things!!

I'll be keeping him in all my best thoughts & prayers!! rainbowheart.gif

Send the info to me please!

My group may be little but I love 'adopting' individual kids with needs like this...send me the address info and I will see what I can do...

Be sure to answer these questions for me:

What is his favorite color?

Does he like cars, trucks, or something else?

does he have a favorite tv character? what shows does he like to watch?

Does he like any particular animal? Dinosaurs, that kind of thing?

What is his favorite toy, and/or stuffed animal's name and what size and color is it?

Is he going to need hats? (chemo? I hope he won't need it, poor little lamb)

I would love to put together some things for him. Give me a couple weeks, let me see what I can brainstorm up.

oops forgot to include email address sherwoodro at sbcglobal dot net (trying to avoid spam there! Just replace the words with the symbols) or you can click the email ro link at the PSF website linked in my signature.

hugs,

Ro

Thank you to all who want to bless this sweet boy.

Here is some info to help you know him a little better:

His favorite color is Yellow (Used to be red, so I think he would like red too)

He likes dinosaurs.

Baseball, basketball and soccer.

His favorite t.v. show is Fear Factor (go figure)

He also likes nick jr. shows

His favorite toy for a long time now is a lion named "Roary"

He will be doing chemotherapy however they are hoping he won't lose his hair

(new treatments)

His little brother just turned 3, his name is Ethan.

I was off a bit on his age, Brendan will be 5 in September.

I will post more as I think of it, or as Grandma thinks of it. And please, if you e-mail me or PM and don't get a response it is because my mind is simply a clutter so just resend it. I really want to keep this going.

God bless your sweet hearts!

Jody

Okay! I've already called a friend, she says she's gonna try to help send him some goodies too...and with Jody's blessing I'm creating a button that will say "Boxes for Brendan" to put on your blogs to bring awareness to this situation...link it back to this thread if you post it so people can see what it's all about please! Please save the pic to your own webspace though (oh my aching bandwidth! ;)

Here's the button. It's a little big but I didn't want to shrink the picture any smaller...

brendanbutton2.jpg

I just had an idea! wouldn't it be cool to see how many different kinds of crocheted animals we could send to Brendan? I know that Jody plans to make him one, and so do I, what if he got a ZOO full? Probably would be good to keep them on the small side so they would be travel friendly...but I'm thinking of making him a technicolor duck or something. Of course I'm also thinking of books...fun things....other toys...whatever you think is good Jody...

I wasted no time in snagging that button. It is already on by blog. I love the idea of the animals, also. we will do what we can to keep his spirits up!

You could try also Make a Child Smile....http://www.makeachildsmile.org. I've sent stuff to some of the kids that have been listed. They do list a mailing address, so it would be best if you had or had access to a PO Box. But I've had some really positive experiences with them.

Ro said: I just had an idea! wouldn't it be cool to see how many different kinds of crocheted animals we could send to Brendan? I know that Jody plans to make him one, and so do I, what if he got a ZOO full?

I like that idea. Plus, he's got a younger brother so both of them would benefit from them. Very good idea! :hook

I'd love to help out!! Let me make something first, and then I will email you, Jody.

I have a feeling he's gonna be a very proud "zookeeper" soon, lol!

He's looks sooo cute!

I have the noah's ark pattern book that has instructions for a monkey, a giraffe, and an elephant... My time is squashed right now but once school wraps up next weeks I should be able to make at least one, hopefully all, of these animals to add to the zoo!

I'm usually hesitant to commit to things like this for fear of letting someone down, but I really feel for this family and would love to do something to help in any way I am able...

Archived