How Long Should A Scarf Be?

I am making hat and scarf sets for Christmas gifts. First I made a set for my sister in red and purple (Red Hat Society). I used the very addicting scarf pattern from Stitch and Bitch Crochet, but instead of making it 96" as in the pattern (the pattern is meant to wrap around the neck a few times) I made it only 60" because I thought 96" was just a little too long. I made the same scarf in navy blue and variegated for my young niece who is 10 years old, but this time I made the scarf only 50" long, because I don't want her to trip on it! Anyway, now I'm second-guessing myself. How long should a scarf be? :think

it really does depend on the scarf, the recipient and the effect you want to achieve.

Generally speaking, the skinnier the scarf, the longer it is if it is just a regular type. (not a keyhole or such)

It really depends on the person.

I usually think 60" is pretty good. I figure 5 feet long is good for most people. I usually do 4 feet long for my daughter. I did them 3 feet when she was younger.

The long ones I've made, I made them to wrap around my neck so they were about 72" or 6 feet long.

I think you are doing a good job figuring them out. 96" seems long to me...but then I've also had a long scarf go in the toilet before and that was embarassing:blush ...when it got wet.:eek

Have you ever watched Dr. Who? (not the one that's been airing on the SciFi Channel)

Watch an episode of Dr. Who, and (not sure what season or actor it was) they'll have a ridiculously long scarf wrapped around the neck of the Doctor.

Have you ever watched Dr. Who? (not the one that's been airing on the SciFi Channel)

Watch an episode of Dr. Who, and (not sure what season or actor it was) they'll have a ridiculously long scarf wrapped around the neck of the Doctor.

Fourth Doctor.

Tom Baker

That scarf is iconic. (actually, there were 3)

And yes, I've knitted one.

Oh I have a Tom Baker scarf My friend knitted for me Not strictly in the colours though. It is about 6ft long and very wide. We were talking one day how I had wanted one as a child but my mother was concerned I would get it tied up in the chain of my bicycle and kill myself. So my mate made me one and told me not to ride my bike while wearing it lol.

I would go personaly for a few inches shorter then the person. say a 5ft 6in for a 6 foot person.

I love scarves I might even dig mine out of the cupboard soon.

I read somewhere it should be as long a you are tall. So since I'm 5'1", all my scarves are short!

That's a nifty guideline. :D

I make scarves for the Red Scarf Project, and their suggested guideline is 5" wide and 60" long. I usually make them wider and longer. :D

They say that your "wingspan" (fingertip to fingertip) is equal to your height... so when I am making scarves, I usually try to make them that long (I'm 5' 7"). :)

Rock Creek Quilter, I think you have a good handle on the length of scarves. I make most of my scarves about 60 inches long. If I know for sure the person is a little taller or a little shorter, I adjust the length. For instance, I plan on making a scarf for one of the attorneys I work for, who is six feet tall. I will make that scarf about 72 inches long. For myself, a short little 5'1", I would make 60 inches.

I'm short so I usually make mine shorter for myself. I also don't make them very wide. It would cover up my whole fce if I wrapped it lol! If I'm making one for a taller/bigger person I make it longer & wider than I would for myself. I am making a wider one for myself now but that's the pattern I liked & it required width for the stitches used. :)

Generic scarves, not knowing the recipients measurements, should probably be standard size...probably 6" W x 60" L is good. Then again that depends on the pattern, if you're using one. Some are meant to be skinny some are meant to be wide, some patterns curl up & those are shorter & some of the straight or flat patterns are meant to hang long. It depends on the look or use you're going for. Just for a nice looking, warmth factor, I'd go with standard size.

I agree with the length of scarf, but I think longer scarves are becoming more popular. Last winter I saw my DDs teacher with a scarf that almost touched the ground (it was not wrapped around her neck) and she is not much shorter than me 5'4". I thought that was a little long but I have seen many since then.

Oh, I loooooove them long. I like them to stick out of the bottom of my coat WITH them wrapped around my neck... LOL!

I'm 5' 7", so that's a lot of scarf! LOL!

It really depends on the receiver and the length that is appropriate for that person.

My rule of thumb is make it about 60 inches long. Kids are generally shorter, so their scarves should be shorter.

Or my old favorite rule is when I am out of yarn, the scarf is done!:lol

:manyheart

• 3 years later...

I am also 5'1" so I make mine (for me) about 60 inches and try for about 6" wide, unless I am following a specific pattern stitch. Many of my scarves go to charity so I try to vary the lengths since we all are different sizes and heights.

I believe I read somewhere that childrens scarves can be around 42 to 48" long.

LI Roe

I like my scarves to go over my shoulders and hang to my knees. Long enough to wrap around my neck (I'm 5'3"). My mom likes short wide ones to throw over her shoulders and cross in the front. That's the kind most people wear under their coat. I like bright rainbow colors and to show them off (who cares if they don't match my coat :lol).

Ellie 13

When I know the recepient, I make scarves 18 inches longer than their height.

This allows a decorative scarf to so around the neck once and still hang almost to the waist

And is usually long enough for a double wrap for cold weather protection.

If I don't know the receipient, then I use 70 inches for women and 80 for men

Archived