Another Crocheter Confession

Well the last one of these was such fun I decided to start another kind! :cheer

I can't use any hook bigger than an H. I don't mean won't, either! I have tried and it feels like I am crocheting with a log. Every pattern I make that has a bigger hook I have to add rows to using the gauge.

The really fun part of this is I crochet sooooo tight that I have to use a bigger hook than it calls for in the first place! I have a line on my finger where the yarn sits.

And don't even get me started on going from the thread hooks to the regular hooks.

:think

I have the opposite problem...I hate using anything smaller than a G.

I am with you there. I consider my 6.5mm my normal hook and anything less is "less". Actually, it is only because a doll needed a pair of socks that I got below a 5mm (H) hook at all and I can only make one sock at a sitting.

My favorite hooks are the larger ones. I love K and up - I used a Q once and it was really weird doing the chain and first row but after that, I loved it.

My favorite hook size changes from time to time - right now its the H hook - :cheer

I like G or H for "regular", one strand stuff. N worked well for 3 strand slippers (I'm almost finished making a wooden N with help from Jimbo!). Q made short work of the 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 afghans. The little 7 thread hook about made me go blind trying to make a hacky sack. The thing ended up half the size it needed to be. I don't know if it was the pattern, wrong thread, or just me.

I don't have a regular hook size I prefer, I just can't seem to use anything bigger than H. I do okay with H but my best work is G and under. For some reason the bigger ones just feel to, well, big! lol

I usually crochet with a G or H. I tend to crochet on the loose side, so I usually have to drop down a hook size. There are some patterns that call for an F hook, so that means I would drop down to an E hook:eek , plus having to using reg. worsted weight yarn. Can't do it. My E hook tends to split the yarn.

And then there's the dropping down a hook size when I work on Doilies, that's double:eek :eek !! I love working on larger hooks!!:hook

I rarely use anything lower than a J for worsted weight projects, usually a K, or N. P with two strands. I crochet tight and usually have to go up in hook size. For thread, I seem to be spot on, wierd.

I crochet very tight too, how do you use a bigger hook when you can't even get it through your stitches?? At least, that's the problem I have with bigger hooks. lol

I guess I have to say if I had a favorite hook size it would be D. Although if the pattern calls for D I have to use E. :lol

I love my J hook. N for 2-strands. I made a wonderful throw with 2 strands of Bright & Lofty and the Q hook - it worked up really fast, and it's soft and fluffy.

The smallest hook I've used is an F, except for my foray into thread. :eek Yeah, I need to work on that. :blush

I don't have too much of a preference for hook sizes. I used a "B" hook when crocheting the "Lady Sings the Blues" jacket, and I use "Q" hooks and three strands of yarn to crochet quick scarfs.

I guess my problem is determining when I'll use a certain hook. '

Take for instance the Clover lighted hooks. DH likes to watch T.V. with the lights off, so I bought a few for those moments. I bought a "H" and a "K," the two hooks that I normally use the most.

Since then, I haven't started a project which requires an "H" or "K."

I later broke down and bought an "F." It was only in the past week that I started a project which uses the "F."

(Yeah, I know I should buy the complete set...But at $6.00/hook, I can't afford all the hooks at one time. I just wish it came in a "B"...would have helped with the LSTB jacket.)

I'm a real oddball, I love the hooks H-p, and the steel hooks for thread but the in between ones I don't like working with

Use them all, but prefer G or H. I think it is mostly a matter of what you get used to. I found the larger hooks bulky, but was determined to finish the blanket I was working on. By the time I got to the end, I decided the Q hook could be my friend.

I don't care what size of hook I use. I guess it depends on the project. My hooks all have the same size handle so grip isn't an issue. Now if I were to go back to my old hooks.. I'd probably have a fit.

btw... I use the clover soft touch hooks. I bought my self the gift set several months ago and would not go back to 'regular' ones.

Anything bigger than a K is like crocheting with a toothbrush. I did a flannelgahn using an N and 2 strands and hated every minute of it. If DS hadn't specifically requested that as his birthday gift, I'd have tossed it within 5 minutes.

I love my thread hooks and my "standard" is an H but will use a G for dishcloths and pot holders.

I used the S this summer to make my middle niece a shawl. Glad it worked up so quickly cause I am in no hurry to use that hook again! Talk about a log that thing is freaky big. Right now I am using a J for a 12" square but I have to say my fav size is H and second fav is the hook between H and G. I bought the small steel hooks again because I "lost" my first set to my mother,she uses them to fix things in knitting and forgets to give them back. I really want to try the devil horns so that is why I bought the Bates set. I don't like the closed heads on Boye.

I was once told, when first starting out, that it was very difficult to crochet with yarn when working with thread for a while. I took that statement and made some doilies made with a combination of yarn and thread. LOL

I still, to this date, switch in between thread and yarn and love the differences in the yarns and the hooks.

I've used size 12 hooks for thread up to Q for hook. I do not have a favorite hook or yarn. Just give me something so I can crochet! :D

I too don't have a favorite hook. I use whichever hook will obtain the look I'm going for. I was making a lapghan for my FIL and using an H I didn't have enough yarn. so I'm back at it with a Q much more lacy but it will work well enough!

Archived