Crocheters against UFOs

HollyM

It's time to take a stand!

I know we all have them lurking in our closets, causing us guilt and taking up valuable stash space.

Yes...the dreaded Un-Finished Objects :eek

Now, I'm not talking about when we jump between a few different projects at the same time, or temporarily set one aside to do something else that has a deadline. No, I'm talking about the poor, forgotten projects languishing away at the bottom of a plastic tote, or worse, Walmart bag. The ones you can't even remember what size hook you were using.

Ladies (and gents!) we can win the war against these insidious tangles of yarn. You must be willing to take the first stitch though. Pick a UFO and make a commitment. There was a reason you started it, something about that pattern and yarn spoke to you. Love it enough to complete it. If it no longer calls to your heart, set the yarn free. Yup, that's right. Rip it out and find a better use for the yarn.

Our motto "Finish it or Frog it!!!!!!" :2frog

I have several shawls I started and then puttered out on. My first UFO pledge will be to finish the blue homespun shawl I was going to give my mom for Christmas :blush I should be able to finish it by Mother's Day

Holly

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl Now this is a great crochetalong (not that the others aren't)! I, of course, have several UFOs just stashed away somewhere. The worst one is a black boa I was making with LBs Fun Fur. That insideous black fur is tangled amongst so many yarns and the boa was almost done! I had to put it down because the black was killing my eyes. But to make it a FO, I first have to detangle it. :rofl It'll be a days worth of work just to untangle something that I should have finished within a half hour of starting. :eek

Count me in although for the next week or so I'll be busy with family coming in. But then I'll be free for a couple of months.

I was looking for some yarn to start some new projects this weekend and just staring at my UFOs wondering what to do with them. I think I have 6 afghans and a sweater that I started long long ago and never finished. The sad thing is, not only do I not remember the size hook I was using, but I can't even remember the pattern I was using for about half of them! I even sat down and went through ALL my patterns to try to figure it out with no luck! Guess it's time to sit myself down and frog them. A yarn winder would be really nice right now to help deal with the tangles I just know are coming when I finally find the right project to complete with that yarn! Count me in on this!

Great idea! I so need this CAL. It needs a button though! Oh the possiblities..... I don't have the capability to make cool buttons, but I am sure someone could. Yeah! I will be so happy to get rid of my half finished projects (so would my husband, haha).

I guess this means I better start digging in the bottom of my closet. And to think we only moved in 2 months ago :eek I :remember seeing some long forgotten projects as I packed up for the move. I'd lost the pattern, now I bought the pattern book but don't even think the yarn is still around, so may end up frogging that one anyway. But I'm sure there are a dozen or so, from baby stuff to rug for the racing fan in my house.

Kathy in NC

Oh, this is a fabulous idea. Just the kick in the pants that I needed. I started making a blanket for my Dad, and it's just so huge that I got overwhelmed! Blankets take me FOREVER. . . But now I'm inspired. I pledge to work on it every day, even if it's just one row a day, that's progress, right?? Great idea, thanks Holly! And the little UFO button is perfect!

:book Raquel

Count me in! As soon as my shoulder is okayed for crocheting I've got a baby sweater and blanket that I have GOT to finish... and they're just kinda layin there. Fortunately I think I used the same size hook as the pattern called for... Even in my stack of WIPs, they somehow crawled to the bottom... probably in the infamous Walmart bag even... :lol

Okay, I'll be honest, the button did me in! lol

Love the button Rebecca!!!!!

I really need to start a blog so I can use it :lol

Raquel, yup, even one row a day is a row in the right direction! :hook

And as an addendum, for the hopelessly snarled project, we need to give ourselves permission to cut it off and THROW IT OUT!!! If it's less than $5 of yarn, it's not worth spending 8 hours to salvage it (unless you enjoy that type of thing!) If you really can't stand the thought of tossing it, the begining of scarves, afghan squares etc make fabulous dust cloths :cheer (hey, she *could* be dusting with those pom poms)

Holly

oh, I'm in.......I'm scared........:lurk ....and:sweat ...but yea, I need this. Count me. Gonna get the button up on my blog...and go hunting for them.....*shudder*..

Want to know the worst one? When I first started crocheting I was scared of "patterns" but I wanted an afghan. Know what I did? I started one of just rows and rows of DC's. Now, maybe that wouldn't have been to bad. However, I ended up with this huge, long thing that seemed never ending. It was huge, heavy, but too long and not wide enough to be an afghan.....I gave up. It is all bunched up, shoved in a kitchen garbage bag with the skein of yarn still attatched to it...and probably the hook too. I was so disgusted with it I just shoved it all in and tied it up.....Would be some nice stash enhancement to frog it.....oh my...I am scared. :eek

LOL.....What a great idea Holly.

I'm in.....The button made my mind up! :clap I don't have a lot of UFOs...but this should give me the :kickto get them finished) Especially since one was the first project I started (a black and red wool scarf)! I really should at some point either finish it :knit , or :frog it and start over since it probably is really bad.....just need to find it first! :think

NNNNNNNOOOOoooooooo!!! Not a cute button too!!?:eek

But, but, I can't join because... ummm... *thinks*... I don't have any more rrom on my blog for another button! Yeah that's it! *looks at the button again*

I do have this poncho I was supposed to finish for MYSELF before Christmas.....

STOP TWISTING MY ARM!!!! :devil

I'm in!

BUufopledge.jpg

Fantastic idea. Now, does anyone feel a sense of guilt over not finishing the projects? When I pull out those OOOOLD projects I get an overwhelming sense of guilt for neglecting the poor thing for so long.

I love the motto: FINISH IT OR FROG IT!!

Must..........................resist.................................cute............................button:eek

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!

*Looks in her tote at the the poor neglected UFOs...........

*Caves in and snatches button*:hook

Man, this almost makes me wish I had some UFO's. I guess I am just one of those complusive people that can't move on until a project is finished. WWWAAHHH i want the button.

I love the idea and the button. I don't really have any ufo's right now, but I am in anyway. I had some not long ago. Some I made into snuggles.

Woven N Spun: You could still use the button, and pledge not to have any UFOs! ;)

Great button, and great crochetalong idea! I'll take this pledge. Hmmm... I have a lot of UFOs... I think I'll pledge to finish (or make decent progress on) two UFOs before starting any new project. That way I can still start new projects. ;) (I've got a couple of afghans that will take me a while.)

You mean that I should really finish that damn 63 square blanket???? I don't want too. Too many other projects to start. But maybe, just maybe I could get my dining room table cleaned off. Boy, would that ever make my husband happy. So, I guess I will start by cleaning my craft room and getting organized. How's that?? Will that work??

Michelle

Oh, gosh do I need to do this! :sweat I do not want to tell you about my UFOs! Can I expose myself like this? :eek I don't know! :rofl

I made a button for it, but was reluctant to post it after seeing Rebecca's cute one. :manyheart But I figured if her hubby can do one, then I can too. :lol

ufo.gif

Archived