Potholders of the Dead

AprilC

A good friend of mine is in the progress of creating a 1950's inspired pink kitchen. (It's her dream kitchen) She is also a huge fan of Mexican art and Dia de los Muertos inspired art.

And so I made her these:

dod1.jpg

Sugar Skull Potholders!

The pattern for the skull and basic potholder is from the Happy Hooker book. The embroidery is all my idea. :hook

I'm totally tickled at how they came out.

I would be proud to have those in my kitchen! Embroidery is such a nice accent on crochet and especially on potholders, if not for any reason other than extra padding. Good work!

I would be proud to have those in my kitchen! Embroidery is such a nice accent on crochet and especially on potholders, if not for any reason other than extra padding. Good work!

Thanks! :)

I had a ton of fun doing the embroidery. Usually I don't have the patience for emboidery work but on crochet it's so big it's not so tedious.

Now I've become a potholder addict....I'm working on designing candy corn ones. hehe.

What kind of yarn did you use - Sugar 'n SCREAM?

Sorry, couldn't resist. These are great!! Very original, she will love them.

My first apartment (in the '70's) still had 50's pink (metal) cabinets, tiny pink fridge, pink and grey formica countertops and linoleum. Didn't go with my harvest gold and avocado stuff at all :lol

What kind of yarn did you use - Sugar 'n SCREAM?

Sorry, couldn't resist. These are great!! Very original, she will love them.

My first apartment (in the '70's) still had 50's pink (metal) cabinets, tiny pink fridge, pink and grey formica countertops and linoleum. Didn't go with my harvest gold and avocado stuff at all :lol

Ha..ha...ha....I'm suprised I didn't come up with that one myself. :)

I would die for a 50's pink kitchen like that! Though I bet in the 70's it was just "old" not "retro". :)

I totally remember the harvest gold and avocado. The house I grew up in all the appliances in the kitchen (stove...fridge) were harvest gold. With fake "brick" linolium to boot too. We had avocado green phones and I still think my parents have that same phone in there bedroom still!

Archived