Help for Christmas!

Can someone suggest some great projects to crochet for Christmas that won't end up at the Goodwill? I once made a scarf for a lady (out of eyelash yarn) and when she opened it it she said "what is it"? :eek

What are some projects (if any:think ) that people really ENJOY getting, use and appreciate?

Thanks for any help you can give me!:manyheart

Shawls, for those that use them.

Afghans or lapgahns.

Maybe a toilet paper cover?

I am going to try to make a pie pan cozy for one of my neighbors.

Christmas ornaments for people who do the Christmas tree thing.

Hats, good for girls and guys!

For kids I like making toys.

That's all I can think of right now.

I'm sure some people would really like a scarf, but here it doesn't get cold enough to need them.

You will always have someone that doesn't appreciate your gifts. Just keep giving. Most people will love them!

Bookmarks

Potholders or hot pads

Dishcloths

Washcloths or facecloths, perhaps packaged with some pretty soaps

Christmas ornaments, or snowflakes

Coasters

Also, just like with "bought" Christmas gifts, keep the person's needs, personal style, favorite colors, etc., in mind. Conservative people can be the most difficult to make things for. With artsy people, you can let your creative juices flow more.

Have fun!

I have made and gifted many scarves but most of mine are either just a pretty pattern out of a plain yarn (generally acrylic since that's what I can afford although I make sure it's soft) or something very simple that is really just a pretty scarf because of the colors.

However for more ideas I'd go with:

hats

toys

afghans

Just keep who you are making it for in mind! Styles and tastes do vary greatly from person to person. I can defiantly say that if someone gave me an eyelash yarn scarf I might stare at it a bit but that is really just my style. I bet if that same type of item was given to one of my friends who wears that stuff then she would love it! However I would love just a more plain scarf that was super long and warm and she wouldn't. See! Style and taste difference!

Speaking of which, I wish people actually made me those things anyway since I'm basically the only person I know who crafts!

I just found out about this style of scarf in another group. it may be knit but it would be easy to translate for our hooks.

http://www.3feapparel.com/

I think it would be a stylish gift for someone who wants this clean look.

This is soooooo neat!!!! Great for quick run out in the cold. Thanks for sharing!!!

I always get very positive responses from the slippers I make. Follow this link to see the pattern I usually use. Sometimes I make the cuff shorter (if I'm using yarn from my stash and I'm not sure if I have enough). I originally bought this pattern in a book in the 70s and now it is available online. The slippers are warm and cozy. They're made out of a double strand of ww yarn and this makes them especially warm on cold floors in the winter.

http://www.******/crochet/slisoc.html

Good luck.

:socks:wreath

Also, just like with "bought" Christmas gifts, keep the person's needs, personal style, favorite colors, etc., in mind.

Like others here I have to agree with this. I'm making a few bags, FBB and others, the females I need to give gifts to. I'll also be doing a few toys and have a number of facewashers (with hand made soap to go with them).

As it is summer here scarfs, etc don't work as Christmas gifts.

Some people just don't appreciate handmade gifts, and that's fine, so last year I sent out an email to everyone asking if they would like something crocheted or not---no hard feelings either way, and I asked what they would like---scarves, hats, mittens, potholders, washcloths, shawls, etc. Some people said they didn't want anything, and I was fine with that (less work for me), and others told me what they wanted, and that made things easier for me.

Nicole

Nowadays I only make hand crafted gifts for the people I KNOW will appreciate and use them. Hats, scarves and slippers go down well as Xmas gifts in our family. Legwarmers are on this years list for one of my nieces and cotton wash cloths with my home-made soaps :)

I don't know anyone who uses a toilet roll cover, crocheted or not :think

Last year I brought some pretty boxes from $2 shops and filled them up with all sorts of different Christmas ornaments for family and friends - and they all loved them. They thought that they were so much nicer than a lot of the brought ones - and they even had a nice box to keep them all in.

This year I have been working on pretty Christmas Tree Skirts.

:devil :devil

Nowadays I only make hand crafted gifts for the people I KNOW will appreciate and use them. Hats, scarves and slippers go down well as Xmas gifts in our family. Legwarmers are on this years list for one of my nieces and cotton wash cloths with my home-made soaps :)

I don't know anyone who uses a toilet roll cover, crocheted or not :think

some people use them as decoration, i have a neighbor who every year makes me one. i sit it in the bathroom for a while then every so often will regift them:devil usually to my older aunts who remember them and enjoy them, i too was going to say ask people if they want hand made or store bought or anything lol hehehe, you can if they are crafters make them stitch markers. or hook/needle cases maybe do something special for whatever you know they do ie a pin cusiohn, maybe a tote bag or place mats, the ideas are endless good luck:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

For last Christmas, I made versions of Shelleden's Sock Monkey Hats. EVERYONE in my family was fighting over them!

Ornaments are always fun, especially the snowflakes...They're fast, easy, and very pretty once they're finished.

I always try to make something little for the little ones--perhaps a sweater (the BICO is a good one!), or toys (this year, I'm making the checker/tic-tac-toe tote found on freepatterns.com).

Since I'm also making homemade soaps this year, I will make thread face cloths (not out of the worsted weight cotton, but size 10 using a squares book), and perhaps a couple more items for pampering.

For the men, a nice pair of slippers is always welcome. My aunt made all of us some a couple years ago, and dh wore them until they wore out! :lol

Afghans are always nice. If you want to do something a little different and have time on your hands, here are a couple options:

Find a doily pattern that is not too open, but not all closed (clear as mud? I mean, not too many holes or filled-in spaces). Using ww yarn and a G hook make an afghan for the ladies. The reindeer filet pattern on Celt's Vintage Crochet is a great one I plan to use for next year for the men.

Find a pretty filet square pattern and repeat it over and over to make an afghan...Instead of working in blocks and open squares, try using bobbles with an sc background. I found two pretty snowflake doily squares (a larger one on about.com and a smaller one on Celt's site) that I'm currently working on regraphing on larger graph paper so I can see if /how they fit together. This would be a nice "family" gift in the color that suits the recipients.

kitchen sets-- A few wash clothes, a pot holder or two, and maybe a hanging towel or two. If I am not sure of their kitchen decor I use neutral colors or christmas colors. (If giving Christmassy items I try to give them early)

Rugs--either fabric strips or 3 strands of acrylic yarn and a Q hook. The acrylic work up fast and can be very pretty and functional. Must have a no slip pad on hard floors. (my mom is crazy about these, they go perfectly in her log home!!)

For little ones girls I like classic cradle purses, and boys love anything made from camo yarn. This year I'd like to make an adventure set in a crocheted camo bag--binoculars, water bottle, compass, ect.

I also just gave some leg warmers to a girl in kindergarten and they were a big hit. I used simply soft brights and made them in stripes. I figured they would be perfect for those cold mornings waiting for the school bus.

For high school age kids I like hats/scarves in school colors.

Archived