Making baby items ahead of time

My sister-in-law had an interesting idea: get a storage container and start making baby things now. My husband and I are thinking around 2009, so we've still got two years to go (please, no criticism).

I have no idea where to start. My question is: what would you put in the baby kit?

Why would we criticize? I think you are smart to plan ahead. You could start with things that you like, blankets, sweaters, hats, booties, etc. Congratulations ahead of time......have fun and post pix of what you make...

I would put blankets and toys! :c9

Hats and booties too! :D

I am sure others would add some clothing too.

You would have to choose neutral colors though. That way it could be used for boy or girl. Being that you aren't even pg yet, you don't know what you are going to have. I would also go with bright colors as well as pastels. That way you can have some variety. ;)

Good luck on your adventure! :cheer

personally id make a girl and a boy blanket

toys

and maybe some things like hats and booties

id stay away from clothes because theres no way you can tell the season the baby will be born in or its size

(ugh i wish there was a way to tell!! ive seen outfits id love to buy and put away)

if you do make fitted or gender specific items maybe they'll work for baby #2 or a friends baby

if all that fails theres always donateing

I vote for blankets, too. Most babies I knew hated hats. And if you have a spring baby, he/she won't need it for months, and by winter, it won't fit. I also like a little blanket for use in the car and chilly air-conditioned places.

How about a diaper bag, or a car seat blanket? Even in summer it can be pretty cool in an air-conditioned car, store or restaurant. I've seen patterns for blankets with a hole for the car-seat buckle so they don't slide off.

I just saw a pattern for a baby mobile in an old magazine this morning too.

More ideas: nursery decorations, throw pillow for a rocking chair,

As far as toys go, don't forget play food, stuffed animals, a telephone...possibilities are endless. If you plan to cloth diaper, you can make soakers.

Blankets of all kinds, do some edged fleece blankets, booties, socks, bibs, burp towels, just about what everyone else said. Make the colors neutral, use bright colors, pastels and you should fine. Good luck. :hook On a side note, I crocheted a baby blanket for myself when I was 20 years old, didn't use it till I was 34. And it was still right in fashion.:D

Go for it! Babies are expensive and sometimes when you are pregnant and sick as a dog (if you are unluckly like me), you don't feel much like crocheting between throwing up.

No critcism here...plan a baby...HA! I wish we had thought of that. It took me 6 years to get my girl and I was trying to get pregnant...then we were caught off guard when I finally did get pregnant.

I agree with everyone's suggestions. I would look at the many websites with patterns and pick out some things to make. I would do clothing and wish I had when my boys were little. Even though my oldest was born in June, it ended up to be a cold, rainy June and everyone had given me summer clothes. My mom and I hunted all over for warm clothes to keep that little baby warm. He was always cold. If I had made sweaters for him, it would have helped. Poor kid had short sleeved items and summer clothes.....:lol

Oooooooooo, know what would be awsome? One of those things used to cover the area where baby sits in shopping cart...I think I will make one for my boy. Never fails...he sits in the cart, he gets sick.

When I make things for babies, I make blankets (all sizes) and burp cloths. Everyone loves the burp cloths. They look so much better than a cotton diaper. I use cotton yarn, a simple sc, dc, or a combination of both, a small hook so it is a tight crochet with minimal holes. They work up fast, too.

Have fun! And Congrats ahead of time. Great Planning!!

Thanks for ideas. I like the practical everyday ideas. I can always do the froufy stuff later on. With our climate, I could probably get away with doing a few outfits.

I have a slightly silly question: Do babies really need booties? People knit them, but I don't recall seeing many in use.

Don't worry about planning ahead. I have blankets made for my future grandchild and my daughter is only 11 and my son is just 3! I just thought it would be nice just in case something ever happens and I can't crochet when the time comes. Then my grandbabies can still have something made by me.

As far as what to put in a basket, I would obviously vote for the blankets, but would also include a cute little sweater set to come home from the hospital in. I live in Upstate, NY and even in July and August there are days when you need a long sleeved shirt. And to make it non gender specific you can always find a nice, not to frilly, pattern and make it in white. It won't be something the baby wears allllll the time so you wouldn't have to worry about stains. It would just be a keepsake for them to pass down to their own babies someday.

And although I never had any handmade booties when my kids were little I would've used them when t was cold. Probably only for a couple of months till they really start kicking and you need something that will stay on a little better.

Good luck with it all and I wish you lots of blessings when the time comes.

I like booties better than socks. With booties, you can tie them around the ankle so they won't fall off like socks tend to do.

Also, a nice stuffed ball they can squish would be nice. Maybe a jumper with a little jacket in gender neutral colors. I say jumper and jacket because that way you can use it in summer or winter, depending on age of baby at that time.

Definitely make toys and at least one blanket for the baby. A carseat blanket is a good idea too, one that has the hole for the buckle to go through so it doesn't fall out of the seat.

Another suggestion would be to look around at stores during the end of season sales. My sister has a large tote full of baby clothes that she picks up for ~$1.00 a piece. She's gotten a lot of things from Old Navy for 97 cents and has stocked up because they also make great shower and new baby gifts. Just an idea, and if you don't use the items because your little one isn't that size in the right season, you can easily pass them on.

Good Luck!

Washcloths out of WW cotton and lots of 'em!! I went through tons of those things when mine were little (*cough* 20 years ago *cough*) and if you make some big ones they make great burp rags like someone already mentioned :yes

I love to take a yard or so of baby fabric and simply put a crocheted edging on it. There are so many beautiful fabrics -- flannels, cottons, fleece -- it makes up quickly and is so practical.

I would just make tons of things. Hats, bonnets, booties, etc. in a rainbow of colors. What you don't use, can always be donated to a worthy charity.

Blankets, sweaters, and layette sets I would make in pinks and blues. I like to be able to tell if the baby is a boy or girl at first glance. The yellow/green stuff just doesn't fly with me. But that's just me.

I think it's wonderful to be planning for a baby. Enjoy your time before the baby is on the way and then there are no regrets that you missed things because you had a baby.

Good luck with all your plannings.

:manyheart

Here's some ideas for baby bath towels and cloths

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-lionWrap.html

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=304

Crochet edge on burp cloths and fleece blankets

http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/crochet-edges.asp

And of course there is a plethora of baby blanket, sweater, toy and other patterns out there.

My older son is almost 29 now and I remember crocheting for him before I was even pregnant. I brought him home from the hospital in a gown I had sewn, with sweather, booties, hat and blanket I had crocheted.

I think it is wonderful to bring a baby home in clothes that you make yourself. By starting early, you are sure to have the time to make the things you want and if you're lucky find your supplies on sale!

Best wishes and may your dreams come true.:c9:flower:tup

You asked about booties? My kids didn't wear them. Or socks. If we were going out when it was cold, they were in jammies with feet (and it gets COLD here). In the summer, of course, no socks. I always had a blanket in case we were someplace with ac and they got chilled. Socks/booties constantly fall off, get lost...not worth it imo except for pictures.

I have a drawer full of homemade baby clothes in case some of my friends etc. gets a baby. That way there is no stress when the baby has arrived.

Some suggestions for yor storage:

a jacket which may grow with the baby (a knitted suggestion here http://www.knitlist.com/98gift/babycoat.htm)

socks/booties in various sizes

clothes to put on the baby when you are going home from the hospital

nursing pillow

nursing tops for yourself

tops for your growing stomach

baby sling (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crochet.html , http://kanggah.com/cheap/sling.html)

There is also some ideas here (not just for crocheting) http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html#carrier

I'm pretty much with everybody else on this. Blankies, sweaters (sure you don't know the size or season - have fun), booties, toys, etc, etc. Hey, start buying your onsies now, you'll use them up and wear them out. Stick with acrylics or cotton - babies are messy and you'll want things you can wash easily.

I'm a bit more liberal when it comes to colors. Use the colors you want, things you like. If that is black, red, or bright orange - go for it. Baby isn't going to notice and if you like it, who cares?

Definitely make toys and at least one blanket for the baby. A carseat blanket is a good idea too, one that has the hole for the buckle to go through so it doesn't fall out of the seat.

Another suggestion would be to look around at stores during the end of season sales. My sister has a large tote full of baby clothes that she picks up for ~$1.00 a piece. She's gotten a lot of things from Old Navy for 97 cents and has stocked up because they also make great shower and new baby gifts. Just an idea, and if you don't use the items because your little one isn't that size in the right season, you can easily pass them on.

Good Luck!

Hey that maybe a good idea, to make toys. Especially now, with all the recalls on toys having lead paint. Just my thoughts.

jaye

Archived