Just wondering...repetitive vs complex patterns...

Does anyone have a preference? I'm working on several fairly repetitive patterns (the basketweave poncho comes to mind in particular) and I admit that as much as I love the result, the repetition gets me down sometimes...so then I pick up something that requires a bit of thought. Does anyone have a preference? Do you switch back and forth?

I alternate, mindless crochet has a place. Riding in the car when I don't want to check a pattern, watching a really interesting show, or when sitting in the waiting room at a hospital. I also learned never to start an intricate pattern with a lot of counting (filet afghan) when your country is about to go to war, it really messes up your count; especially if you're living where you hear the Marines going overhead in fighters and helicopters on their way to the ships.

Now that I'm making afghans again, I have one big project for TV time, and at least one medium or small in my 'go bag' which holds my purse, meds, etc. in case I have to run out the door.

I refer to it as "idiot crochet"!! I take along something to our craft days (where we all sit around and talk and craft!!) that doesn't require thinking about or counting, eg. a granny square. When I want to do something challenging, I pick up the Cathedral Window afghan, do a couple of rounds, and go back to the "idiot crochet"!!!

Jenny

I actually really like repetitive crochet. Granted, I can do them and not think of it and WHAM! all of a sudden I look and I have quite a bit done. I find it really relaxing because there isn't any thinking or reading or figuring out where to put the pattern to be able to read it and crochet at the same time.

Although, I love looking at more complicated patterns and doing them sometimes, but... just not as much! They're more for my dream time of crochet when I'm just imagining making something really pretty WHILE I make something very repetitive.

I adore a nice repetitive pattern for when I'm watching TV. If it's something I can get in the groove of and don't have to watch too closely, I can get tons of crochet done in front of the TV. :D I usually still have the TV on if I'm working on something more complicated, but I miss a lot more of the show that way.

I like to switch, but I find once I have made something, I don't like doing it again, whether it was repetitive or complicated. Only once did I make the same afghan two times, The first one was stolen when our house was robbed, so it bothered me, as it was a detailed granny afghan. I had to make it one more time (of course the colors were different, it was a scrap granny). It is now 30 years old and I still have it, although some of the threads are breaking and the holes stretching, but it is still my fav.

I tend to like the more intricate patterns most of the time. I find if it is too repetitive, I get bored and don't want to finish it. Of course, there is a balance... so maybe my favorite are somewhere between mind-numbing and excruciatingly complicated.

I also switch. I don't know that the repetitive motion can be good for depression. It explains a lot when I keep going back to a certain project because it switch between dc and sc. It is a truly mindless project. What keep me going back to it is changing colors from a skein to another, and that it is a diagonal blanket. Few small details to keep me relaxed and less bored.

I have various projects, small to big ones. I do the complicated ones, usually my own designs as they keep my brain stimulated, only when I am in the mood.

Repetitive motions like crochet raise endorphin levels which is great for treating depression. Both patterns have their place. One relaxes you and increases your happiness levels and the other keeps the brain young.

Well put, shebear.

I like repetitive for the calming effect, and getting something done when I'm waiting or too tired to read a new/complex pattern. Or just to accomplish something (like my 3rd SnB scarf).

And then it's sooo fun to learn new stitches!

I love to crochet-I wish it was still the weekend. Gotta work. Oh well, it pays for the yarn!

:)

Either or, it depends on what I am making. If I want something to go fast, then I do a pattern with a repetitive stitch. But I am always up for a challenge, so most of the time I have both types of projects going. :hook

During the football game or soccer game, I will work on complex designs. I sit with my husband and he enjoys talking to me about whatever game is on. I don't watch the game, but make him feel like I am interested in his activities. Now if it is a show that I want to watch, I will do an idiot stitch just to have my hands working.

I go either way. I've been doing a lot of apparel lately so dc is my new best friend.

I hadn't heard that about repetitive motion increasing endorphins. I read it can relieve stress. That and depressives tend to have fewer hobbies than people who aren't depressed.

I switch, but, while I like the look and the idea of complex patterns, when it comes down to working with it, I get more pleasure from the repetitive designs. Sometimes it is nice to not have to think or (even better) count.

Repetative when I am watching TV or when hubby is home, because he likes to toalk to me when I am crocheting. More intricate when I am home alone so no one interupts my counting.

Blondie

Sometimes you need something mindless, sometimes you don't!

So yes, I do switch.

Exactly. When I am home alone and can crochet away, then I do something more complex. When I am crocheting in public, or at my knitting/crochet group, then I want something that is repetative. Then you can chat away and crochet at the same time and no worries.:lol Well, almost. I goofed three rows down on a pattern and ripped it out. That's life!

:manyheart

I prefer the repetative...I usually am sitting in front of the tv when I crochet. That's one of the reasons I like amis so much. They just go round and round :2spin ... If it is more difficult I have to pause the DVR to read it. Man I love pausing LIVE tv! :D

Archived