See post #20 for note about toys!! What a day!! Toys delivered!!

KristieMN

We had a fantastic day today.

I have to say thank you again to everyone who helped make this years toy drive the best ever!

First of all, the pictures, link here....

Click here...

Toy Drive!!

It was so much fun brining the toys to the hospital.

I talked my mom into joining us for the day.

We loaded up the night before, as you can see in the pictures.

We were loaded to the top!! Not only was the back of my poor escape full, but we hid two boxes on the floor of the truck.

Stephanie met us at the door of the hospital. She quickly decided she needed more than a small cart!:lol

She was truly in awe of all the toys. We showed her just a small sample of what was sent.

She was so touched at the c'viller who sent it the box for just the nurses.

She made sure to tell everyone that there was a box JUST for the nurses.

This morning, my 4 yr old daughter, Addie,decided she wanted to donate some of her stuff to 'the sick kids'. She picked out a blanket, a very much loved singing Elmo, and a VERY loved Dora talking toy.

She kept thes things aside from the boxes. She wanted to to hand them to Stepanie herself.

(for those of you wondering, YES...I bawled)

Stephanie took us inside and showed us around. We were treated to lunch.

After lunch, we were able to watch the closed circuit television show that they put on for the kids.

We were introduced on tv, and got to say Hi! It was so fun to watch how they put these shows together.

The kids really look forward to them.

Tim is the guy in the pictures hosting the show. He and his co-host Buddy, (the bear) talk to the kids. Kids get to send down their favorite toy, to be shown on the show. They even have a different child read the news every week.

I feel so honored to be able to participate in all of this.

The staff I met were so grateful for everything we have done for the kids.

They could hardly wait to dig into the boxes to see what was in there.

Stephanie said it was like Christmas.:lol ..but better!

I know everything that was donated, will go to a very good home.

Just walking into and out of the hospital, we seen so many kids that were obiously ill. It truly breaks my heart.

OH... I have another bit of excitement!!

Stephanie is going to do a story on us! She wants me to write her some info on who is donating, and how all this came about.

They are going to publish it in the hospital and friends news letter!

I am going to email her some of the pictures we took today for the news letter.

Stephanie read all the letters and memos that were sent in the packages too. I made a scrapbook of every note I recieved.

To say it was an amazing day, is an understatement.

Again, I want to thank you all for your help and support.

This day would not have happened without all of you!:hug :hug :hug

Now, I am going to have to come up with some killer patterns for next year!!!:lol :lol

Goose bumps!!! I would have bawled right with you over the toy donations of you daughter! I am so glad everything went so well. I hope to join in with all the excitement next year! I bet the children thought it was Christmas (or winter holiday). You're AMAZING! Keep up the good work.

Yay!! :clap

I mailed out my box today (you had said Libby's appointment was next week--or was it this week-- for stragglers.) So it should get to you soon.

Tina

:clap:clap:clap What a great person you are Kristie.

I am putting everything I test for people in a box and sending it to you for next time....there will be a next time right????

Wow, Awsome job!!! The photos are great! I love all the toys! Thanks to you too for arranging all of it!!! I can't wait till next year! (and for the killer patterns!)

Wow!! I have a huge lump in my throat!! Glad it was a huge success!! Am looking forward to next year and to those "killer patterns"!!:lol:):hug

That was a great message. I know it will bring some much needed joy to the kids who receive these awsome gifts. After the recent cancer and death of our great niece (who Kristen sent something to) this really hits home.

Thank you again for all your efforts to put a smile on their faces.

Marcia

That was a great message. I know it will bring some much needed joy to the kids who receive these awsome gifts. After the recent cancer and death of our great niece (who Kristen sent something to) this really hits home.

Thank you again for all your efforts to put a smile on their faces.

Marcia

I told them about Lexi, and why some of the items are maked in memory of her.:hug

Thank you again!

Kristen

Wow! Thank you soooo much for doing this. I always love to see a smile on kids faces. I guess I should get started now so I'll have plenty to send next summer! It's so nice to have something like this not around a holiday, but some 'random' day. I think that makes it more special, that we were thinking about them not because the calendar told us to, but because our hearts did.

Wonderful Kristie!!! Thank you for what you do and letting us help. Maybe next year we can double the amount...:D

and if we do that she will need to rent a truck to deliver everything, lol!

kristen i am glan you all had fun! and what an awesome thing to be teaching your kids! kudos to you all!!!!!!!!!

thanks for sharing!

kris

how did i miss this when you first posted? i have been waiting to hear how it went....

and it went with flying colors....now that all the extra stuffed animals are gone from my children i will have to start collecting something else so i can send again next year....(i think my toy making efforts wouldnt be so great!)

thank you for that special place in your big heart for these children!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share this with you all.

This is a letter from Tim, the manager of child family life services.

Also, I have a request in, I am trying to find out what the kids liked the best. I have had a few villagers ask, so I am working on it!

From Tim, here are parts of his note ....

On behalf of the Child-Family Life staff at the U of M Childrens hospital, and the kids that are hospitalized here, thank you for your support of our children with the generous donation prizes for the game show. The children here loved them! The kids will be having fun making a choice from the great selection.

The purpose of Child Family life servies is to help the child and adolescent patient and their family cope with the hospital experience. Our program includes therapeutic intervention for kids that are experiencing difficult time with a new diagnosis, painful procedutres, major medical trauma and chronic and terminal disease. We also provide programs and activities for two playrooms and one teen space as well as normalizing activities to keep families playing, working and being together.

Thank you for your generous hearts and for making a difference for the kids here. I am continually inspired and grateful for the kindness of others as we work with these children and their families. It was great to meet you and have you be a part of the show.

Remember the secret oath!!:lol

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I have got a note from Stephanie, who showed us around the hospital,

Here is what she said,

I have heard that the items were awesome. Lori and TIm went through the items and loved them. I asked them to wait until I returned but they went ahead. They commented that they items were precious and very, very meaningful to the staff and will be for the kids.

I cant wait to hear back from her. I am dying to know what the kids thought!~

Thank you all again for the donations. As you can see in the above note, it really made a difference!

Archived