Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, Vonnie! I sympathize with the light thing...this can be hard to see.

My doily is finished and I think I got some good pics showing the colors, but they are still in my camera. Remember when I said August was going to be busy for me? My 3yo has been sick for 3 days (THAT wasn't planned), I have two major events to cook for this weekend, a Sunday School lesson to prepare in Polish, and a guest who just arrived from the states today and is staying with us for a week.

I will get my pics up just as soon as I can, but if it takes a few days...you'll understand why!

I'm going to do another doily in the same pattern, but with a light-to-dark color scheme. I don't usually repeat patterns, but I really like the way this one works up and it was a pleasure to crochet.

Oh, I'm also making a doily to give as a gift to another US visitor on Friday--3 more rounds, and it must be finished and blocked.

And I've gotten side-tracked trying to figure out entrelac crochet and I'm making an entrelac bookmark in thread.

But I WILL get the pictures up ASAP. Also must choose colors for my light-to-dark doily.

For anyone who is working ahead like me...let me add that I planned my color changes as I told you, but I ended up making some adjustments when I was in the midst of the work. I planned the outer edges to be:

aab (3 rounds)

abb (3 rounds)

bbc (2 rounds)

bcc (2 rounds)

What I actually did was:

aab (3 rounds)

abb (2 rounds)

bbc (2 rounds)

bcc (2 rounds)

cca (1 round)

The final round is strong enough to stand alone, and when I saw the way the pattern worked with cluster shells in every other row, I didn't want two of those shells to be the exact same color pattern--so I had to change something. If you are doing a light -to-dark pattern, you wouldn't want to put color a in the last round like I did, so I'd suggest either 3 rounds of bcc, OR make the last round ccc.

I have not started nor picked colors nor schemes... I am probably going to have to forego the CAL since I might have 4 projects that I am going to have to complete by the end of the month... I will know by tomorrow if she still wants me to do the custom items.:think

Karen, I am so sorry about your child being sick... that is so awful! Hope he/she is better soon! Heck, you are busy. Will wait patiently for pics!:P

Eileen, are the girls in your profile the twins? They are sooooo sweet! But I am sure you already know that! LOL They are all angels once asleep though! Mine were anyway.:manyheart

Will miss doing this but need the money! Hopefully will be able to do another CAL with y'all soon! :yes

I am going to have to drop this CAL

I have too many irons in the fire and I am not really a "threadie"

I will cheer you on :cheer :cheer and will enjoy seeing all the :manyheart finished works

Don't drop out, it really is easy....I just finished mine, only took me less than two days......it is so much easier to crochet with three strands of sewing thread(if you can see) then it is to crochet with one strand of crochet thread and one of sewing, so try it!!! It doesn't take much thread, if you only have one spool of each color of sewing thread, you can make this doily.....just run the sewing thread off of spool onto three bobbins and you will have enough!!

And it works so well to crochet as Krakovianka said, and crochet with 4 strands instead of working in ends, it worked like a charm!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok here is my doily, it is approx 8" and I used three colors and Krakovianka's color changing selections.....again worked great!!!

I want to make a bigger one now!!!

th_IM001699.jpg

th_IM001700.jpg

Oooooooh, Vonnie! That looks fantastic!!! I told you yours would look just as awesome as mine, because the technique is awesome. And this pattern, although small, has a lot of scope for this technique. I am definitely planning a bigger one, but I also want to make one like this using the light-to-dark colorway. I LOVE it.

(You really need to post that in show-and-tell, too, where more people will see it!)

And how ironic. I finished mine first, but still haven't downloaded the pics to my computer. Maybe Monday. I will be up past midnight tonight with work, and busy all day tomorrow. In fact, I'm shirking now by being here, but when I saw the email notice, I HAD to see the pictures.

I can see this pattern worked light-dark brown in the center and light-to-dark gold on the outer edge. It would look like a sunflower!

Back to work now...

I am sorry I posted my pixs first, but I was so excited about how it came out....I really appreciate all your help on this doily....not sure I could have done it with out your Help and instructions,,,,,, Thanks

Ok here is my doily, it is approx 8" and I used three colors and Krakovianka's color changing selections.....again worked great!!!

I want to make a bigger one now!!!

th_IM001699.jpg

th_IM001700.jpg

Vonnie - that's a beauty! :cheer

The center section looks like it's just floating there.

Very pretty.

Vonnie,

I don't mind a bit that you posted pictures of your finished project first! I just felt bad because I haven't had time to get mine up.

Hallelujah...the busy-ness is finished now. I still have a guest from the states through Thursday morning, but it's just one guy, so he's more dh's responsibility than mine. :lol I already cook for six every day, so who cares about one more?

I am downloading tons of crochet pics--not just these ones--and will get lots of show and tell posted while I relax and sip iced tea this evening.

Can't wait to see your pixs........ I really want to do another one, larger this time......still now sure of how to pick a pattern and colors, but might do one out the the painted doily book..... I am not good at picking colors and "seeing" how something is going to look in my mind........

thanks again for all your help, I am addicted now to crocheting with thread!!!!:cheer :cheer

Well, here it is--I hope the colors show up well. Both the inner and outer sections have the same colorway--green-rose-plum--but the inner section is done in light shades of the same intensity, and the outer section is done in darker shades.

Sometimes when I look at it, the two parts don't seem to belong together, and other times, they look great. What do you think?

IMG_0824.jpg

I found this doily and saved it so I could show you another one I resently came across that I thought would look nice "painted" :artist

http://www.crochetpatty.com/patterns/thread/Caelum.html

Wish I could join y'all but way too busy! About done with the pink large dragon and then going on to the Unicorn.

Karen, your doily is just lovely. I didn't think I would like the darker colors when you said what you were going to do but I actually like them more! :yay It came out just beautiful!

Are you going to frame this one as well? :gallery

Great job, I think your colors look great, I love the different intensity of the same color, great idea.......now which one should we do next???? I want to make a bigger one with more colors...

Well, here it is--I hope the colors show up well. Both the inner and outer sections have the same colorway--green-rose-plum--but the inner section is done in light shades of the same intensity, and the outer section is done in darker shades.

Sometimes when I look at it, the two parts don't seem to belong together, and other times, they look great. What do you think?

IMG_0824.jpg

The doily IS designed with 3 separate (4 if you count the shell on the outside) themes. You've captured (and accented) all with your color choices.

Very pretty.

Did you use embroidery thread or sewing thread?

I loved reading this thread this morning. Your doilies are beautiful. I'm going to try one maybe when I get the rr in #30 thread done. I've always loved the look of these, but have never attempted one. I love the hint of ending the color changes so you don't have so000 may ends to contend with.

Keep up the good work and the pictures comming.

Marcia

Unlike SOME people, who shall remain unnamed:P, I will be starting my doily soon.:hook I am on an adventure with my husband this weekend, so I will be starting it Tuesday when I am back home.

I have to say I really appreciate all the tips you UNNAMED crocheters have given us! So I will forgive you your eagerness!:manyheart

Loralynn, what colors are you using? Do tell! I can't wait to see another one.

I want to make a second doily in this pattern, then a larger one. I think we should keep this CAL here even if we move on to different patterns, because the technique and the different ways of using color are shared, even if the pattern isn't. For future reference, I think this thread will be very helpful to anyone who wants to try this, AND full of inspiring pictures.

Go, Loralynn! :yay

Who else is starting "on time?"

I'll probably be starting late. Tomorrow (the 19th) I'm busy all day. Monday is pretty filled with eye appointment, baby sitting and another project I haven't finished yet (Dear Wife's Afghan - doing the border now).

I probably won't start this one until at least Tuesday (the 21st).

Oooh...officially started! I can't wait to see some more!

Eileen, the middle is pretty curly--most chain-loop patterns are like that. They will lay flat if you want them too, usually. When you get to round 10 it sort of tames things a bit.

I used a size 10 hook--a Boye hook, 1.3 mm.

I want to make another one, but I'm doing secret pal stuff at the moment. I'll get caught up soon, because I really want to find a pattern that will work nicely with my beach pastels.

Archived