Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "cutie pie" doily is an easy pattern with only 13 rounds. It really is a good first project to try with this technique, but with only 13 rounds, you don't need too many colors. I had 16 rounds on my first doily, and 6 colors was almost too much to squeeze in effectively.

Vonnie, I changed a thread at the end of every single round, but you wouldn't have to. Doing 2-3 rounds in each color combo would add to the subtle effect of the change. But, it would be harder to do that on a project with only 13 rounds.

Let's say we went with cutie pie pattern, and you chose 4 shades of blue, light to dark. If you follow the "standard" for the painted technique, you have this pattern:

aaa (round 1)

aab

abb

bbb

bbc

bcc

ccc

ccd

cdd

ddd

That's only 10 rounds, so you need to make two rounds of 3 of the color patterns. Because the inner rounds are shorter, I'd probably add one or two of the extras there, to give them a better chance of showing up, and then the round where you make some chains that are covered by the first round of shells would be another "double" of the color pattern, because that round isn't going to show well on its own.

This small pattern could probably be done with one spool of thread for each color you choose, too--you'd just have to wind some of it off onto bobbins or empty spools so you could use 2-3 strands at once.

I also think this small project would best feature variations of a single shade or at most two colors (like my first small project). To get more colors in, you need a pattern with more rounds.

And Sue, I looked at the one on e-patterns, and I just have to say--I don't really think pineapples are the best choice for showcasing this technique.

By the way, if you only chose 3 shades for this doily, you could do 2 rounds in each color pattern except the last one...but of course, it would *look* like a lost more than 3 shades in the finished incarnation. (I think.)

OK, I think, will this make more sense after we make one?? I am thinking it will. I understand the idea of the row of chains not showing so if you just did the next row with the same colors even though it was maybe row 3 and you were only doing 2 of each color that would work, right?

9a84_1.JPG

:shop I bought some of the embroidery cardboard bobbins to wind some of my thread onto so that I don't have to buy 3 of each color or of the same shade of each color. They are in the embroidery section where the floss is and are inexpensive. I will have to put my little cardboard bobbins in different shoe boxes with holes in the lids so that they will not flop out and tangle about though. No taping them down but I can afford more colors this way! :yay

As far as the colors go... I still don't know. Depends on the pattern still. Maybe we can have Eileen do a formal poll out of her favorites? The top 3 or something like that? I would like to practice on the doily a little bit since this is my first! Aww, baby steps! LOL BTW, is there something I should know about doilies that someone who has never done one before know about? I am just thinking it is like a doll skirt but with no hole in the middle... kind of the same stitches... sc, hdc, dc, tc, dtc... right?? :scrachin

Hi, I have not been around.........I work part time night shift, so sleep is 1 or 2 hour naps around the twins.

I think we should pick out three patterns & then vote on one. I don't think we will be able to find a diagramed pattern, although the link sokmeone listed does have patterns but they are photos of some books & that is a copyright violation to use them on this site. so.........

I think sokmething medium in size would be better than something small, that way we can plan color changes easier, say 15-20 inches. An easy pattern is a good idea, for beginners.

Let's all post one or two choices & then we can vote on them.

Eileen

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/NosegayDoily.html

Didn't know how hard this one would be to do but thought it was just too pretty not to show everyone anyway! :hook

I like that one too! I wonder if it's hard or not?

The color changes can be put where you want them, I would put them at the near end of a desing change. For example in the above doily, where the begining of th e pineapple, blending towards the top.

Vonnie-you can look for examples when we start, look at our design & use as examples. It's hard to say before we start though. We'll help you!

Eileen

That nosegay doily is cute, but I wouldn't choose it for this project. Half of the rows are chain rows that are going to disappear, so you're only left with about 13 rounds that show, and those don't touch each other much, so I think the gradual shaded effect will be diminished.

Here's another one to consider--it's fairly plain/simple, has some denser and some more open areas, and a good play of positive and negative space. It also has some definite lines where you could draw attention to one of your stronger colors. With 23 rounds--nearly all of which are visible--you have plenty of time to work out a good color pattern.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Risingsun.html

By itself, I know it's kind of a boring doily, but you really don't want an intricate stitch design for this--you want the color to be the main focus. That's why I didn't care for the pineapples, although I imagine they could be done with care (and experience).

While we're talking about painted doilies, let me show you some that were literally painted (tie-dyed!). I know this lady from another board:

http://marty-tatsall.blogspot.com/2007/07/something-bit-different.html

The rising sun doily is very pretty. However, it has the same problem as the dove doily. Very obvious "V" insets that will get lost in the translation between colors.

I am going to spend some time browsing doilies today to see if I can help contribute anything too.

LOVE! the rising sun doily! That too gets my vote!

OK, let's see who is going to participate in this.

Please copy & paste this after adding your name:

shelbyolivia-Eileen

vonnie-

crafty crochet-Sue

Loralynn

crochetprincess66-Kim

Lisa Hudson

Krakovianka

These are beautiful, and I'll definitely think about making one. Just can't at the moment, I've got a million other projects going at the moment!

Here are a few more patterns to consider:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/SilverSurf.html

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/SpiderWeb2.html

http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/history_culture/textile/barbarapietz.html

and the one that I personally think would probably work the best (scroll down to see completed piece):

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/misc16.html

LOVE! the rising sun doily! That too gets my vote!

OK, let's see who is going to participate in this.

Please copy & paste this after adding your name:

shelbyolivia-Eileen

vonnie-

Pumpkinmouse-Maryann

crafty crochet-Sue

Loralynn

crochetprincess66-Kim

Lisa Hudson

Krakovianka

Im added

Hi, everyone.........I worked last night so..........

I think either the "nosegay" or "rising sun" doily patterns would work fine. If noone objects, let's vote on one or the other, unless more suggestions come up.

Vonnie, I don't know about that doily, it seems there is nowhere to put the color change in, KWIM?

Eileen

Archived