Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

I've got six colors, but I think 3 would be fine. I just already had these colors, and decided to give this a try. I actually do think three colors is enough for this particular project, especially if you decide to work through the color changes twice--once in each section, so that you feature your boldest/darkest color on the edge of the inner circle AND on the outer edge.

I wouldn't suggest doing what I'm doing...until you can see it and decide if that's what you really want.

And, um...

Well, I'm on round 14 of 19, so I suspect I'll be finished in the next day or two!!!

NOTE TO EVERYONE: this is going to make a very small doily. I would not buy 3 spools of every color for this pattern, unless you want to make another project. Also, this is really going to be a nice first little project, and I think you will be pleased with the painted effect. :yes

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen is a cheater!!! LOL I am trying to catch up on all my wips before starting this and you are making that sooooooooooo hard! How is the 2nd section coming? The picture is not showing up the different colors too well. Is it possible to lighten the picture up to better show off your work and the effect of the color changes? It looks real nice btw!

Also, are you changing out a color every round or every other round?

I can't wait to start, we are at our cabin with the grandkids and I have the thread with me, but I don't have the right size hook up here....sad.....I am going to do what Krakovianka suggested, doing the inside one set of colors and then repeating on the outer rounds....I think that will look good.....Thanks

Karen is a cheater!!!

:blush :blush :blush

Um. Yeah. Sorry.

I'm anticipating being rather busy later in August, so rather than fall behind then, I'm getting a head start. See? :hook

IMG_0815.jpgIMG_0807.jpg

Hope these show the colors and changes better!

I used this pattern for the inner circle:

aab--3 rounds (everyone should consider doing the first 3 rounds in the same pattern)

abb--2 rounds

bbc--2 rounds

bcc--2 rounds

I prefer every round to be "blended," so I skip the aaa, bbb color rounds. It still works, as you can see. I considered replacing them with abc rounds, but in this about of space, I liked this better. I'm doing the outer rounds like this (a, b, and c are darker shades of the same colors)

aab--3 rounds

abb--2 rounds

bbc--2 rounds

bcc--3 rounds.

So far, so good. I may frame this, because I'm falling in love with it.

But my hand aches.

And did I mention that I can only work on this thread stuff in real daylight? my 40yo eyes won't let me do this by artificial light. :(

Oh Karen... It is beautiful! :nworthy The light didn't do it justice on the other picture. :photo I know what you mean bout the light too. I bought high power reading glasses to crochet with and have bright lamps on both sides of me! The glasses are +2.75 and my reg prescription for glasses is only 1.75 but I was straining my eyes and it really makes a difference. I just look over them to see anything else! LOL:grandma The dark purple dragon I am trying to finish in thread is real hard to see!

I don't know though... :no I am now thinking of going from pink to purple in the middle then green to blue in the bottom... and shade it light to dark. so that the pink and purple are pastels and the green and blue are not... :confused Oh, I don't know...

OH MY, maybe I won't do this, I don't think I can compete with that.....It is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use a daylight light to work on thread or I also have one of those florescent with magnifing...... I also have one I can hang around my neck......plus glasses.....not blind but can't see that little stuff and I just love doing it...

Thanks for the help, I am coping your instructions to help me with this....

Oh, Vonnie, don't back out now! Yours will look exactly like mine...only different, because your colors will be different. It's the technique of changing one thread at time (out of three) that gives the neat effect. I'm seriously thinking of doing another one with a light-to-dark colorway, because I want to see that effect, too. The center colors of mine are similar in intensity, as are my outer ring colors. I was going to do shades of green, but when I was playing around with my thread (I bought about 40 spools when I found it cheaply at a shop in a village while we were on vacation), I was struck with this other idea and went for it. It's not something that ever occurred to me until I had the colors in my hand.

I still think this doily lends itself perfectly to a light-to-dark pattern. For anyone using MORE than 3 three colors, I think it will still work to shade from the center to the outer rim, but I think I would plan it so that round 9 "showed off" a solid color in the array--bbb, ccc, or something like that.

One more thing I noticed (besides my aching hand) is that I've been playing around with the sewing thread so much (adding a strand to regular crochet thread) that I'm find it much easier to hold it all together and work with it evenly than I did the first time around.

OK, I have been crocheting this in my head and I am thinking that once you get started it won't seem so complicated, right?? I can't wait to get home and get started, can't believe I got the thread with me but not the hook.........now that I got that RR out of the way...LOL

:eek I just looked at Vonnie's photo album!!!! http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/vonn1e/?start=all

You do very pretty works of art! I loved it all! The doilies are just georgous. Loved the travel afghan and the rr. The Easter tablecloth is so aptly named and cheerful!

So, you 2 are in cahoots with Karen and are going to start early too? :P

I wish I could but I just got a custom order in for a dragon but in yarn! When asked what colors of yarn I have, I came up with 3! Didn't realize just how much thread I have now and no yarn! I will start it once my other one is done. I am hoping to finish it today. I guess I will just watch you 3 and see what problems, if any, you come up against and learn from them...

Oh My Gosh! I've been watching this thread for awhile, and I want to make one! I love the effect. I haven't made a doily in years, and never a multicolored one.

I like your choice of patterns (I've already saved/printed it out).

I just have to decide on the colors and buy the thread (that may depend on any sales going on right now :yarn)

Weren't we supposed to start on August 19? I may cheat on this, because I am slow (I actually prefer to call it "careful" ;) ) and I don't want to get too far behind the rest of you.

When this was first posted I remembered I had seen one in "CrochetMagazine" I found my copy dated September 2003

They had two done in the "painted" work

I would really like to do one but fear :eek how bad my hands would cramp

Looking forward to seeing all of the lovely works - still wondering if I should join

When this was first posted I remembered I had seen one in "CrochetMagazine" I found my copy dated September 2003

They had two done in the "painted" work

I would really like to do one but fear :eek how bad my hands would cramp

Looking forward to seeing all of the lovely works - still wondering if I should join

Kelly,

If a 65-year-old male crocheter (me) can try, so can you!

Come on - it'll be fun.

Crochet Dad : It doesn't take much to twist my arm ;) ----I suppose I could have this one for work - at least it won't take much desk space - like the boxes of yarn........

I have been following this thread with the greatest interest, and can't wait to see all your creations. I have made a painted round ripple, and love the effect. I also started a painted doily once, but stopped because one colour was wrong and made the rest look very ugly. I am sure I am going to see some really gorgeous pieces here.

And AMDM you are not going to join because?????

:think

Welcome CrochetDad and KellyA! :welcome

Yea, it wasn't supposed to start till Aug 19th and that is when I am starting since I just received a custom order for a dragon. I have to get my other items done before I can play! Unlike 3 others that shall remain nameless Eileen, Vonnie, and the culprit that jumped the gun 1st, Karen! :devil

Yes, I can't wait to see what they have done too! Karen is probably done already and I want to see the whole doily in good light this time. Hope she can do it... :photo

Vonnie, I found out has many lovely items under her belt and can crochet fast too, it looks like. :nworthy

Eileen is not showing any of her finished items so I am unable to tell about that one... hmmm she is a little secretive too. :lurk

LOL just kidding you guys, I am envious that you get to start early. With that note, I am off to get some dragons done.

Sue you are too funny! I am not starting yet, I have to finish up a test pattern of a doily for someone here on the 'ville. I don't expect to start untill next week sometime.

I have a busy week coming up, a dr appt for me, a dentist appt for me, work tonight 11-7am.....

Welcome Kelly & Gene, we're glad you can join us! Check out Ebay for threads, although don't expect exact colors because of monitor differences.

Karen, let's have an update..........

Eileen

I don't expect to start untill next week sometime.

Oh, I'm sorry Eileen... I didn't realize the 19th was next week already! Boy does time fly! :devil

Oh, wait a minute... Isn't it ONLY the 5th today????? :think

Hmmm I wonder what calendar Eileen uses where the 19th is NEXT WEEK?? :nahnah

Oh, I'm sorry Eileen... I didn't realize the 19th was next week already! Boy does time fly! :devil

Oh, wait a minute... Isn't it ONLY the 5th today????? :think

Hmmm I wonder what calendar Eileen uses where the 19th is NEXT WEEK?? :nahnah

I see who the "class clown" was!:neener

Craftycrochet - I am longing to join, but have recently had a problem with my eyes, and have to severely restrict time spent on fine threadwork, and on the computer. So, cheering from the sidelines is my role for now.

I'm on the last round...I'd like to finish today, but I have mega laundry, some food prep to work on for a ladies' tea on Friday, and my 3yo has a huge fever (no other symptoms...not sure what's up). I still hope to finish today, but this other stuff is taking first place.

No pictures until I'm done now, but I will share this in hopes that it will help someone else. My doily has NO KNOTS anywhere.

On my first painted doily, every time I changed a thread (every round!), I cut off the thread I was dropping and looped it through itself to make a tiny knot, leaving a tail which I later had to weave in. Then I painstakingly pulled the new thread through my working loop, and had to maneuver it into place with the two remaining loops. I tried to crochet over the tail of the new thread, but that doesn't always work--depends on the pattern.

By the time I was finished, I had learned a few things, which have made this second piece SO much easier to do. When you are crocheting 3 strands together, one strand cannot unravel, so there is no need to tie knots anywhere. The easiest thing I've found to do is add my new thread just before I slip stitch a round closed. I work the first couple of stitches (depending on what they are) with 4 strands, and then I just cut the one I'm dropping off--it's gone, nothing to weave in. Later, I'll just cut off the tail of the thread I added. Sometimes I weave it in a bit, but not always. It really isn't necessary.

Hope that helps someone...I had millions of ends that I wove in on my first one...this one went MUCH more smoothly with these methods.

Isn't Karen a doll! So, this is why it is good that she is 1st... we can learn from her! Oh, Karen I am soooooo glad you told us this since I HATE knots and didn't know what I was going to do when I started mine! :hug

Can't wait to see it too!

My doily has NO KNOTS anywhere.

On my first painted doily, every time I changed a thread (every round!), I cut off the thread I was dropping and looped it through itself to make a tiny knot, leaving a tail which I later had to weave in. Then I painstakingly pulled the new thread through my working loop, and had to maneuver it into place with the two remaining loops. I tried to crochet over the tail of the new thread, but that doesn't always work--depends on the pattern.

By the time I was finished, I had learned a few things, which have made this second piece SO much easier to do. When you are crocheting 3 strands together, one strand cannot unravel, so there is no need to tie knots anywhere. The easiest thing I've found to do is add my new thread just before I slip stitch a round closed. I work the first couple of stitches (depending on what they are) with 4 strands, and then I just cut the one I'm dropping off--it's gone, nothing to weave in. Later, I'll just cut off the tail of the thread I added. Sometimes I weave it in a bit, but not always. It really isn't necessary.

Hope that helps someone...I had millions of ends that I wove in on my first one...this one went MUCH more smoothly with these methods.

Craftycrochet - I am longing to join, but have recently had a problem with my eyes, and have to severely restrict time spent on fine threadwork, and on the computer. So, cheering from the sidelines is my role for now.

<setting up a nice comfy recliner near the air conditioner vent>

<placing a large glass of sweet tea on the table next to the chair>

< placing pom poms on the table next to the tea>

Letting amdm know that she is certainly welcome to cheer from any sideline and to just let me know if she needs more tea or something to eat!

We need all the cheering and egging on we can get!

Thanks for the info, that is great to know, I hate to weave in ends........I am thinking about starting, but might have to wait until we get to ID...I have to load the motorhome back up (if we ever get it out of the shop) and then drive there, don't think sewing thread crochet will do well while traveling...LOL

Karen.....where is the doily???

I am finishing up my current WIP's so I can be free to start this. Busy here though, I am working more than my usual one night a week so I can have extra $$ for the twins fall/winter wardrobe.

I suppose you all are way ahead of me

Eileen

Archived