Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait for more pictures!!! You should be able to block it and stop the curling,,,,,,,,,I want to start another one, but have a couple of WIP that I need to finish.......Pixs Please

Well, after many delays, I am finally going to start on my doily!:clap

I am doing it in pink/rose/burgandy. I am going to wind my thread right now! I will keep you all updated as I work.

A little trick I used was to put each of my seperate colors in a plastic baggie and just kind of close it but not tight....worked well to keep them from tangling....just a little hint......

make sure and give us some pixs please

Hmmm... I've got my thread - Coats & Clark Machine Embroidery Thread. It's 40 Wt. Trilobal Polyester. There are no colors listed, but they LOOK like Powder Blue, Lavender, Deep Purple. The Coats & Clark website is broken in this area, so I couldn't get their names for these colors.

:think Here's my question: Since I only bought 1 spool of each, and I need two (or three) sources for aab abb etc. what method do I use to create the second source (or spool) without buying another spool?

Thanks in advance.

Here is what I have done so far:

1236638486_6d912ce35a_m.jpg

This is up to row 8. I decided to go with 4 colors (I added white into the mix). I am using a size 8 hook. The picture really doesn't do it justice. I love the way it is turning out! The embroidery thread I chose, Coats & Clark, has such a nice sheen to it that it really makes the color gorgeous!

Except for the white, which I just used cardboard bobbins I made myself (because I knew I wouldn't need much thread), I wound up thread onto bobbins on my sewing machine and created a box with different compartments for the spools and bobbins. It has worked like a charm. I have had no problem so far - knock on wood - with tangling and I even had to frog one row due to a mistake.

I want to thank Karen for her great tip on how to deal with the changing of the colors without knots. It works great!

I'll update with a picture when I get the doily done!:hook

Hmmm... I've got my thread - Coats & Clark Machine Embroidery Thread. It's 40 Wt. Trilobal Polyester. There are no colors listed, but they LOOK like Powder Blue, Lavender, Deep Purple. The Coats & Clark website is broken in this area, so I couldn't get their names for these colors.

:think Here's my question: Since I only bought 1 spool of each, and I need two (or three) sources for aab abb etc. what method do I use to create the second source (or spool) without buying another spool?

Thanks in advance.

You can rewind it onto sewing machine bobbins, if you have a sewing machine it only takes seconds to run the thread onto three bobbins......and then put them each in a little baggie and they won't tangle as you crochet...just shut the top of a zippered baggie closed enough the bobbins don't jump out.... Good luck we are waiting for pixs

You can rewind it onto sewing machine bobbins, if you have a sewing machine it only takes seconds to run the thread onto three bobbins......and then put them each in a little baggie and they won't tangle as you crochet...just shut the top of a zippered baggie closed enough the bobbins don't jump out.... Good luck we are waiting for pixs

Hmmm, I'm sure one of our neighbors has a sewing machine...we sent ours off with our oldest daughter. It's being put to good use, though. :manyheart

So pretty Loralynn! I like the colors you chose. I also like the colors CrochetDad chose as well! I sure am missing out but love looking at everyone's doilies. Once I am done with my WIPs I will see about doing one. Great work everyone! Keep the pics coming!

Loralyn, the doily is gorgeous! Great colors!

I have not been working on mine, I have some health issues right now. About a month ago I went to the doctor for neck pain. As it turns out my thyroid was enlarged, sokme large nodules on one side. After a nuclear scan it showed I have a "suspicious nodule" on the other side. Well, yesterday I had it biopsed. A "simple biopsy", yeah right, after having a needle stuck in your neck, it is not a "simple biopsy". They had to use an ultrasound to see where they had to stick the needles because it is close to my tracea, not a good area to be poking around with. Anyway, I will find out next week what the results are.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

I will work on my doily in next few days or so. I am almost done.

Eileen

1269054621_2761229c08_m.jpg

Well, I got it done yesterday. I am really pleased with how it turned out. The beauty of the colors really don't show very well in my picture. The only drawback with this doily is that it is so small! I am planning on framing it and hanging it in my family room as these are the colors in there.

This was a really nice pattern, easy to follow. I think I would like to try it in a size 20 crochet thread next. I may try one of the other patterns that we considered.

This was fun!

Eileen,

Please keep us posted as to the results of your tests. I know how nervewracking this kind of thing can be. I recently found lumps in my breast that had to be checked. Mine were just cysts that had to be drained - and boy did that hurt!!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers and I am sending postive energy your way!

Oh Loralynn, that turned out beautiful!!! I really love those colors. It was really fun crocheting with thread, I am with you, wish it was bigger.....I really want to try another one... Love it

I want to make more, too--in fact, I have the thread for two different projects (sunset colors and beach pastels). But, I think a small project like this one is still a perfect "first" project. "Just doing it" teaches you so much about how the colors flow into each other. You can apply the technique to almost any project, but experience will make it easier to choose colors and color patterns effectively.

Loralyn, yours is lovely--the first one we've seen going all the way from light to dark. I think framing it is a great idea--that's what I plan to do with mine, too.

• 2 months later...

I did a simplified version to make a shaded round ripple, using 2 strands instead of 3. I also started a doily with 3 strands of sewing thread, stopped, because one of the colours was not looking right, and abandoned it because of problems with my eyes.

0195e6_1.jpg

Look what I bought to do a painted doily with! I am so excited but I can't start it till after Christmas! I think I will do it in rainbow pastel colors.

Have you started this doily? I am excited about seeing this one done up in Painted Doily style. What colors? How many threads? this will be one beautiful Doily!

Archived