Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

:soap

What is so pretty in the painted doilies is that there is not a change in pattern but a gradual change in the color/shade that allows you see the color variations and not the pattern itself. I too don't really like the "V" in any of the patterns because the colors will overlap the different patterns thus creating an unbalance to the whole doily. :thumbdown It would feel that the "V" should have a different color pattern than the sections between the "V"s.

What is hard is not chosing a pretty pattern in itself, but one you can visualize with colors... You don't want a doily that breaks up for color changes... you want gradual color changes that flow from round to round... that is unless you want the "stripe-y" :spin effect Karen had spoke of earlier. There is a link to a painted doily pattern you can purchase that uses the stripe-y effect to differeniate between colors I posted earlier.

I like the painted doilies that you can look at and say... wow, where does the color/shade actually change? :dreaming I personally think that is why a pattern is so important and why it needs to be chosen carefully. We have all found just lovely patterns that I am wanting to do later but for something that is not going to be cheap to do and hard to correct while making,:yes I want the pattern to be one that is good for the painted effect and not for the pattern itself. :juggle It is a balance between the two.

Look back at the painted doilies we have posted and see what aspects of them you like... is it just the colors/shade changes, or the way it changes, or how the colors compliment the pattern, or does the pattern get lost in the painted effect or vise versa? :think It is only July 30th and we are still not starting the CAL for another 20 days. We have time even though I also would like to know what pattern we will be using. However, I want it to be one that is suitable for our project.

The nose gay doily is a favorite but as Karen stated, there are chains between the rows thus causing a break in the color/shade transition from one row to another. There are only 13 rows without the chains and a gradual color/shade change would be hard to do then with so not that many rows to do the changes in.

The patterns that we have posted are soooo lovely in their own right but to be honest, we need an ugly or boring pattern that we will be transforming with color! It is like taking a Charlie Brown tree :ctree and adding the ornaments that show off the shape and the pattern itself.

As for when to do color changes... as Karen stated if you have 3 colors and if you use the aaa bbb ccc and you want 2 rows of each, then

aaa

aaa

aab

aab

abb

abb

bbb

bbb

bbc

bbc

bcc

bcc

ccc

ccc

That is 14 rows with only 3 colors and only 2 rows each color.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like most of the pattern in the books are pineapples.......so do we need a pineapple pattern? So one of those that doesn't have much of a pattern change wouldn't work well?? I personally don't care about what pattern I want the "Painted effect" and the best way it shows......Help us pick one....I don't have the book so can't really see what will look best...

Hi everyone I have been reading all the posts in this CAL and I am highly interested in doilies even though I never attempted one. I love the painted effect and becase of that THIS IS A TEMPTING CAL, but I feel this is for someone who is experience in crocheting doilies. I might not join this CAL but what I plan on doing is trying out a easy doily on the side to see if I can do one. I am interested in the type of thread that you use to give the painted effect????? I guess that is all for now. Hugs.

I don't think that you have to be experienced in crocheting doilies, it might help if you are confortable crocheting with smaller thread.....the doilies are made with sewing thread, three strands at a time,then you just change colors, so if you can crochet with three strands of sewing thread you will be fine. Some of the gals are going to use one strand of sewing thread and one of size 10 crochet thread so you can do whatever. I bet this would work with size 3 crochet thread, just take a bigger hook and you would have a lot bigger doily.....there really is not absolute in crochet...JMHO

I was thinking about joining this CAL but like the others I've yet to find a pattern I think would work well. I have read through the previous posts and heard some good ideas as to why one pattern would be better than another. I still would like to get some opinions on the ones I was considering using. Let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help!

Pink Cloud Puffs

SnowStorm Doily

Vanity Fair Set

Vintage Spider Web Doily

I got to thinking after wearing my eyes out on the web looking for a pattern that is:

1. not to hard,
  2. not to frilly,
  3. where all the stitches touch,
  4. no chains to mess with the color changes,
  5. no "V"s,
  6. no pineapples,
  7. enough rounds for our purpose.

I am worn out! :out I am sure we can all tell each other where to find a ruffled lacy doily from 1955! LOL

However... I have an idea if everyone is game to think outside the box...

Here it goes...

what is the difference between the size of afghan and doily patterns? The yarn weight and hook size, right? What if we didn't use a doily pattern for our doily but an afghan pattern that was round shaped? Like a circular baby blanket... something in that area... Even if the pattern had too many rounds (as if that seems to be a problem) we can stop it at what round we want!

I have found a lot of those and I think the patterns actually fit our needs better than the traditional doily patterns do. We can all just put our own touches on the final rounds to lace it up!

Here are some I found and even one has a way to create your own set of rounds you need so you can make it as small or big as you like!

http://yarn-diva.blogspot.com/2006/03/free-star-shaped-afghan-pattern.html

or a ripple that actually kind of lets you know her idea of where to change colors but she didn't do it gradually like we will!

http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=crochet&cdn=hobbies&tm=100&gps=175_1387_1020_559&f=22&su=p445.92.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp%3FarticleId%3D281474976910272

So? What do you think? Am I as crazy as I think or do you think this might be workable? Ponder the patterns and what you think of my "outside the box" doily pattern idea.

Here is a PERFECT example of what it would look like in yarn and if you used different colors instead of shades of 1 color!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35765&highlight=round+ripple

If not then... I pick the cutie pie doily but I don't think it has enough rounds... although I really like pink cloud puffs but it too has only 13 rounds...

If you look at the Painted Doilies book, she used pineapples in her designs. I think we need to choose one. If not let;s think about just using one we like, everyone can do there own. I don't think we can please everyone.

As for # of rows, I think if there are lots of rows, we can better choose a plan of changing colors.

Eileen

I'm kind of leaning toward your idea, Eileen--let's choose our own. There is this one, though, that was suggested yesterday, that I think would be pleasing.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/SpiderWeb2.html

It's got a good number of rows, two distinct sections so you could emphasize a strong color in two places, and isn't too dense (the one thing I really don't want).

I'm kind of leaning toward your idea, Eileen--let's choose our own. There is this one, though, that was suggested yesterday, that I think would be pleasing.

It's got a good number of rows, two distinct sections so you could emphasize a strong color in two places, and isn't too dense (the one thing I really don't want).

This one does look good. Anyone else have anything to add?

Does this sound like THE one?

Eileen

Sure, works for me, I think once we each make one we will be able to tell which patterns will work and which won't and we can go on to make whichever ones we like.

As to afghan patterns, it works, I am just finishing up my RR made in size 10 thread and it is taking FOREVER to finish these last few rounds, I am not up for making another RR in thread right now: LOL

th_Crochetdoilies008.jpg

Since it was one of the ones I suggested, I definately works for me!:P

I already have my colors. Now I just need to wind up some bobbins with them. I am just going to use my sewing machine bobbins and my machine to wind them up. I figured this would be the easiest.

I also plan to make some little cardboard boxes to put the spools/bobbins in and then will put them in a single long box to keep it all organized. Someone else suggested something like this earlier. I am going to kind of "wing" it by using cereal boxes to create my "container box."

So this is our doily? I love it! I printed out a huge picture to figure out my color changes and to mark them. The picture is blurry but not too bad.

I have no idea what to as far as colors / shades yet. Oh and get this... I found a doily pattern that is perfect BUT now I can't find where I downloaded it from the web! It has a diagram with it too! It has been driving me NUTS... LOL I am going to figure out colors/shades now!

Hi! Just wondering how everyone is doing with thread color selection? I am waiting for mine to come in the mail, can't wait to see if the colors are as I expect or not.

We are having a heat wave here in upstate NY, 99 at my house yesterday afternoon! Yuck! Poor DH works outside, poor baby! LOL

Eileen

I just stare that the pattern and am waiting for it to speak to me. I don't know how many nor what colors to use.

Anyone figure out how many rows of each before we change the thread to another color? I guess it all depends on the scheme each is using, right? I just don't want another doll mishap. What suggestions does anyone have? I was trying to think of a way to work with that break in the pattern too... any ideas?

I am going with three colors,(unless I find it doesn't look good) I bought beige, light sage green, and a darker sage green. I am going to try and see how it goes, I am hopeing that the pattern "tells" me when to change......Unless someone figures it out....LOL

I have my colors, white to wine. I am deciding if I will use 3 or 4 colors. It all depends on how it will work out. I am planning on sitting down tomorrow and working it out. I hope that 4 colors will work out because I would hate to have to eliminate the white. I really want the contrast of a very light center and a very dark edge. I'll let you know if/when I get mine figured out.

you all can figure out how many colors you want to use and how many rows for the doily. Then say if it is a 27 row doily and you have 3 colors to use. You would work each color for three rows changing every row one thread to give you the painted look since it holds 3 together and takes 3 rows to change the complete color.

This is the one we're thinking of Vonnie:

Because it has two distinct sections, I suggest (especially if you have only 3-4 colors) shading from light to dark in each section, so the finished doily would feature your strongest color both at the very outer edge and at the edge of the inner circle as well. In fact, that kind of shading will work better with this pattern than the colors I had planned to use, so I'm probably going to switch to a light-to-dark scheme instead of the pastel rainbow scheme I had in mind earlier.

There are 19 rounds, so I'm off to figure out how many rounds are in the inner part and outer part, and then figure out color changes. Oh, and I still have to choose my colors, but I bought a lot of thread in June, so I'll be using something already on hand. Probably shades of green--light sage to olive.

Okay...rounds 1-9 make the center circle, and rounds 10-19 make the outer band. If you want to handle each section separately for your colors, now you know.

I decided on something completely different...I chose 3 colors--green, rose, and plum. I have those colors in three lighter shades for the center, and I'll use the same 3 colors in darker shades for the outer section. There are two ways to handle the color changes:

aab

abb

bbc

bcc

OR

aaa

aab

abb

bbb

bbc

bcc

ccc

I chose the first one because (personal preference), I don't care for the appearance of 3 strands all in one color in the midst of the multi-colored rounds. (I believe my objection would be reduced if the colors were fairly close in shade to each other to begin with.)

Since the very first rounds are almost nothing, I planned this way:

3 rounds of aab

2 rounds of abb

2 rounds of bbc

2 rounds of bcc

for a total of 9 rounds in the center. I'll use the same color pattern for the outer 10 rounds, doing 3 rounds of abb, because the inner rows are shorter and this adds balance.

If I were doing the alternate pattern, I would do the first 3 rounds in aaa, and then one round each of the rest of the pattern. (In other words, changing a thread at the end of each round.)

And, as I said, I am impatient, so, ummm, this is what the center section looks like:

IMG_0806.jpg

The colors are lighter than they appear here, and this picture doesn't really do it justice.

By the way, I used a size 10 hook with my 3 strands of sewing thread, and the middle is probably about 3-1/2 inches across. This is going to be quite small when finished.

Oh...and rounds 5 and 6 are bit tricky--I suggest reading them very, very carefully.

Krakovianka, so, you are using 6 skeins, right? Two shades of three different colors? What thread did you use? I have never made one of these so want to do it right the first time. Otherwise, I get too frustrated!!!

lol.....Debbie

uwcheese

Archived