Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

Well, I really like the first one better! It is beautiful! It gets my vote. :tup

I guess I can do it in size 10, with a strand of sewing thread?? I realize it will be a more subtle effect, but I really doubt I could manage three strands of sewing thread. And my eyes can barely deal with size 30, much less three strands of sewing thread! :lol

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I have been doing research on thread and I am really confused.

I know we could just use reg sewing thread, but there are so many different kinds of thread I was wondering if others would work better....

Such as

embroidery thread ?( like you would use with a sewing machine when you embroidery )

And cotton or polyester ?

I was checking out Joann's website and there are lots of different kinds.

Those who have made these, which is best??? I want to go shopping as soon as I get home, or else order on-line?

The pictures I have put up are of polyester and it is a real strong thread that didn't tangle and was actually quite stiff for thread. I used the double sided tape that is thick and stuck my spools down in a plastic box and didn't have a tangle problem at all. I even was able to unravel a row of the dress but then it tangled since I left it hanging... The reg spools of thread would snag on where you can cut the thread off and I used a file to grind that down...

I still like the first one. :)

Which one? The one in the first post? Let us know so we can vote on one. How about more ideas?

As for sewing thread, I guess you can use it, although like PP said the thread may fray. I am going with a blended thread, embroidery/quilting thread.

Eileen

Which one? The one in the first post? Let us know so we can vote on one. How about more ideas?

As for sewing thread, I guess you can use it, although like PP said the thread may fray. I am going with a blended thread, embroidery/quilting thread.

Eileen

I meant the "Dove Doily". It is really pretty. I like it because it is more "dense". I can get bored with doilies that have endless chains....I'd rather do trebles, doubles, etc, than chains.

I will probably go with the embroidery thread too....any idea how much I should buy if I'm doing it along with size 10?? :think

And is it better to stick with one color, when using it along with a white size 10? Sorry for all the questions, but this is totally new to me. :blush

I used both embroidery thread and sewing thread in the doll dress. The embroidery thread is by far the most beautiful of the two. It is very shiney and strong and it didn't hang up on the spools which gave me fits... There is a place about 30-45 minutes from me that sells mini-cones for $2 ea and king-cones for $4 each.

www.longcreekmills.com/

You can see the difference in size in the pictures I posted earlier or go to the link in my signature. The king cones hold 5000m and the mini 1000m Depending on the doily, we will need to figure out how much thread to get and how many colors or shades (or both, depending how you want yours to look) you will need to have 3 of each color if you are going to use just thread.

You might want to wait to see the doily before picking thread out or be prepared to buy more. I am going to buy more because I will not use the regular thread again due to snagging.

Long Creek Mills has every color you can literally think of and some you can't and if you want a personal shopper, let me know and I will pick it up and ship it to you myself at cost. I don't see a place on the website for colors and that surprises me since they have so many! They have not only polyester, but rayon and also cotton. By far polyester is the most in supply with the most colors. Just let me know!

My thoughts on a pattern would be something boring... something that you wouldn't normally want to do because there wasn't much variance... it is the color variance that we want to show off and not so much the stitchery and how the colors change from one to another and if we use a pattern that doesn't have much variance itself in the pattern, then the colors themselves would create the effect. But that is my thoughts here at work... I will think some more on it when I can. Just wanted to tell you more about the thread.

I really didn't care for the effect of the painted doily as much in the dense part of my pattern (posted earlier in this thread. to me, it ended up looking a bit stripe-y, when I really wanted something subtler. The stripe effect is more pronounced in long stitches like doubles or trebles. (Sue, yours didn't looked striped, even though it was dense, but I suppose you were using shorter stitches???)

Anyway, my preference is for something more open. I haven't had time to look at every pattern out there, but these might be suitable:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Blossom.html

http://pandacrochet.8m.com/cutiepie.html (very simple)

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Doily2132.html

Frankly...I would much prefer a diagrammed pattern, but there aren't so many of those online. It's easier to plan your color changes when you can see the rows. For example, if you have one round that is chain stitches that are going to be covered by a lot of dc on the next round, that chained row can't really be included your color plan. It won't be visible. This stuff is harder to "see" in a written pattern.

Even if all of us can't agree on a single pattern (maybe we should just narrow it down and let everyone choose from 2 or 3 options), it's good to have lots of support for a project like this.

On buying thread:

You don't absolutely have to buy 3 spools for each color you use. You can wind off thread onto bobbins or empty spools. It's more work...and even more work if the bobbin runs out in the middle of a round...but if $$$ is a consideration, it can be done.

Also...I found that I didn't care so much for a solid-color round in the midst of my blended rounds, so I'm not going to do 3 strands of one color in my next one. Instead doing my colors aaa, aab, abb, bbb, bbc (etc), I'm going to do them aab, abb abc, bbc, bcc (etc...). Of course, I don't know how that will look, but that's what I'm going to do. I can see that it might work better in multiples shades of one color rather than different colors (which is what I'm planning to use), but, hey, life's an adventure.

Melissa,

I have plans to try using 2 strands of colored thread along with size 10, but haven't tried it yet. If you don't want to deal with 3 strands of sewing thread, do you want to deal with 3 strands of crochet thread/sewing thread together? You will need less thread if you combine it with crochet thread, because you won't be using 3 strands on every round. One spool of each color in your palette will be enough, I'm sure.

BTW, I grew up in the Beaver Falls area, and have been to Harmony (to see Old Economy) many times, most recently when I was in the states in 2005.

I understand the idea of a diagram pattern, it makes sense. Is there ANY on line that we might consider???

I am considering doing beige, sage green and a dark green, do you think this will look ok? I am not very good at visualizing.

Melissa,

I have plans to try using 2 strands of colored thread along with size 10, but haven't tried it yet. If you don't want to deal with 3 strands of sewing thread, do you want to deal with 3 strands of crochet thread/sewing thread together? You will need less thread if you combine it with crochet thread, because you won't be using 3 strands on every round. One spool of each color in your palette will be enough, I'm sure.

BTW, I grew up in the Beaver Falls area, and have been to Harmony (to see Old Economy) many times, most recently when I was in the states in 2005.

Yes, I was planning to do only two strands: one the size 10, and one in the embroidery thread.

I grew up in this area, and have NEVER been to Old Economy! Harmony is where I live, but Old Economy is about 10-12 miles away, I believe....Funny how you don't really "see the sights" when you live in an area, isn't it?

I really like the shaded pink doily, so as of now, that is my vote. It could change if another one I like better is presented. I think the dove doily would look odd due to the very obvious "inset" v's. If I was to do that one, I would want the "v's" to be one color or color blending.

Im so Confused LOL:think :eek:think

Ok lets see if I get the jist of this :blush

When starting the doily we will be using 3 strands of the same color for aaa (say a is white) then when it comes time to start changing the color we drop one of these threads and add one thread of our next color making it now aab (say b is pink) then change again by dropping another white and adding another pink making it abb ????? :think Then bbb will be all pink??? etc...

I am now home and was able to look at all the lovely doilies! :gallery My vote is for the Cutie Pie Doily CutiePie.jpg and this is the reason why. It is simple, it will show off the painted effect better, and it is evenly dense throughout so that the color changes are evenly distributed. It looks rather bland now but just picture it with color! :2magic

My doll dress by the way, was started with the bodice using a #10 white thread and 2 pink threads. I ended up not using it because I didn't like the way the pinks against the white caused a candy stripe effect or a sort of mini varigated look. :spin

Before we start, this would be a good time to just experiment with some sewing thread and either ecru or white and see the different effects the colors have. :oops

You might also want to use ecru instead of white like Karen did on her frosted doily if you do not plan on just using sewing/embroidery thread. Also, #20 might not be so over-powering against the colored thread if using white. Just some thoughts I have had... I keep coming up with different ones myself so I have no idea what I am going to do! :scrachin

From what Karen has said and from what I have learned...

Here are the steps...

1. Find a pattern

2. Figure out your color scheme, colors vs shades vs thread type

3. Map out where you plan on changing your colors and this is why Karen likes to have a pattern with a diagram

This is why it is so important to plan ahead. Remember the baby doll! LOL

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/crochet/detail.html?prod_id=2560

I found this painted doily for sale at e-patternscentral.com and you can see what Karen was talking about where it looks "stripe-y" at the color changes if you are not careful! :eek I don't know if it was due to a too drastic change in the color or in the pattern itself. :think

We would have to figure out where we would make our own color changes due to our own choice of schemes... but we can all help each other on that!

I've been looking around the internet, and haven't found much in the way of symbol crochet (no wonder I prefer my magazines...LOL). I did find this site with a few inexpensive patterns to download, but none of them look appropriate for this project:

http://www.sbcrochet.com/crochetpatterndownloads.shtml

I have some Japanese links to symbol crochet patterns, but because I don't read Japanese, I don't know if the patterns are displayed by the designers, or with permission, or not.

Here are some patterns I found but I don't know how hard they would be since they don't say. I just thought they are pretty yet fit what I also thought would be an evenly dense pattern:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/NosegayDoily.html

Didn't know how hard this one would be to do but thought it was just too pretty not to show everyone anyway! :hook

http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/february5.html

You need to scroll down to see the rest of this one since it is shown in steps.

http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~crochet/doily1.html

This one would be easy to figure out where to put the color changes in...

Well, I also couldn't find any diagramed doilies unless they were tatted doilies which by the way were knock dead georgous! The filet doilies of course had charts for them but that didn't help either!

Also, Did I have it right on how we are going to do this in my earlier post?

:think

Here are the steps...

1. Find a pattern

2. Figure out your color scheme, colors vs shades vs thread type

3. Map out where you plan on changing your colors and this is why Karen likes to have a pattern with a diagram

Did I forget something? I don't want the babydoll effect again! Pleeeeeeze...:eek

So, I got to thinking... what if we posted in the design section for a pattern? One that meets our needs? Say, on the easy side, not too close of stitching but stitching most know or easy to learn, a pattern that comes with a diagram and maybe the designer can even have their own rendition of where color changes can happen for those who like to follow patterns to the tee... Then we can let them know we would put their pattern in with what we are already looking at and then we could vote!

Archived