Painted doily CAL?- is anyone interested?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at JoAnn's yesterday for their Veterans Day sale and bought me some more thread for another painted doily....haven't found a pattern yet, and won't be able to until after Christmas and DH goes back to work... but Ibought the sulky thread, the larger spools were 8.49 on sale for 1/2 off....never used this thread before, will it work???? I got white, beige and a darker beige.....now to find a pattern.... anyone know this thread??

• 8 months later...

We made these painted doilies last summer and fall. I've heard some interest recently in making painted doilies, and I actually started one last month (in sunset colors). Anyone interested in continuing this CAL and making a painted doily?

We made these painted doilies last summer and fall. I've heard some interest recently in making painted doilies, and I actually started one last month (in sunset colors). Anyone interested in continuing this CAL and making a painted doily?

Karen - Oh, yes! I've got the thread, just haven't put them on bobbins yet - other irons on the fire. I really intend to do this one. The effect is so dramatic! I didn't realize it had been so long since the last activity. OK - where are some bobbins...

I'm definitely in....but I have to finish up the current projects I'm working on before I can start. I have some gorgeous thread in several autumn colors that I want to use....just need to find a pattern. I have the painted doilies pattern book...maybe I will just use something out of there for my first try. Or I'll hunt through the CAL thread for suggestions....

This will be fun!! I bought the thread at the thriftshop here in town. Looks like it was donated from one of the local mills before they closed, so it's all on nice plastic cones. I was using it to reinforce the toes on knitted socks, but the colors are so pretty....gotta try making doilies with it!

Hugs! Juli

• 2 weeks later...

I have the thread for another one, but I have two tablecloths and a doily to finish for a customer first......I still have the thread I bought last nov. I am going to get me a bobbin winder from JoAnns the next time I get a 40% off....

Okay, Vonnie, Gene, Juli...maybe we should set ourselves some kind of schedule for getting started. I actually have started, but the project is back-burnered while I work on some other things. Yarn-y things, even. I've made a few quick snowflakes recently just because I miss my thread. I've been crocheting with American sport weight, and some fairly thin cotton (using 3.5mm hook).

I'm hoping to make some progress on this soon, though. Maybe by the end of August. Where are the rest of you your projects? Patterns chosen? I already know you have the thread!

I have the thread.....have not chosen a pattern yet. I will dig out my pattern book today and make a choice.

I'm finishing up some swap items...almost done....after that I am free to start.

Juli

Hi,

I've never made a painted doily before but would love to give it a try. I just read the first 19 pages so I have a basic understanding of how you do this. I need to stock up on thread but first I guess I need a pattern. Are you going to all make the same one?

Nancy, we all made the same one last year--except Gene, who I think is still planning to do that pattern (yes?). Vonnie is probably onto something new...I have no idea what Juli has in mind yet...and since mine is in sunset colors, I have chosen a pattern that looks like a sun, with rays and everything.

I think it's a good idea to read all that went before and see the finished projects--that's why I posted in this old thread instead of starting a new one. This is where a lot of useful information can already be found.

Do tell...what colors do you have in mind?

Hi Karen,

Thank you for thinking of the rookies! The info posted last year is very helpful. In fact I spotted a pattern you suggested that I really like.

It's the Rising Sun Doily.

"Someone -:hug" sent me some gorgeous filet leaves for my fall table and I thought an Autumn shaded centerpiece would help show them off.

I'm thinking autumn but maybe I could use some greens in there too? Think early autumn in PA. Reds, oranges, rust, browns, with still some greens in the hills. That's a lot of colors! Maybe I should start a little slower?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :U

Colors in mind:

Halloween2007035.jpg

Nancy, we all made the same one last year--except Gene, who I think is still planning to do that pattern (yes?). Vonnie is probably onto something new...I have no idea what Juli has in mind yet...and since mine is in sunset colors, I have chosen a pattern that looks like a sun, with rays and everything.

I think it's a good idea to read all that went before and see the finished projects--that's why I posted in this old thread instead of starting a new one. This is where a lot of useful information can already be found.

Do tell...what colors do you have in mind?

Karen,

Yes, I plan to do the original pattern. My colors may be different, though - I'm still in the planning stages.

I think I've picked a pattern and decided on a plan.......

I found this pattern

www.crochetmemories.com/archive/november4.html

and I think I need to keep it simple for my first attempt so I'm thinking of a monochromatic color scheme. Maybe purples? I'm not sure about that. I plan to visit my local Jo Anns today to see what they have in the way of machine quilting thread. It's a small store so I have no idea what the selection is like. I might have to pick a color because it's there. Otherwise I'll have to order online and I hate waiting. :sigh

I am committed to a charity project for the greek games so I have a few days to work on this now then will have to put it down till after the games are over. I thought I might get a small one done if I get started today and really make an effort.

Does anyone have any advice before I leave for the store?

With only 15 rounds to work with, don't pick too many colors. Three should be enough. And don't buy three spools of each color--you don't need that much for a small doily. You just need to wind some of thread onto bobbins.

Think of your first painted doily as a learning project, because there is just a lot about seeing the way the colors work together that you have to learn first-hand.

Let us know what you pick!

Hi,

The choices were purple or purple!

No, there were a few other colors but I wasn't interested. :)

I came home with three shades of purple and a white - I had two coupons. Later today I will wind some of them onto bobbins and maybe even be ready to start this evening. DH wants to join me for a bike ride this afternoon so I'll be taking a few hours off from crochet. We celebrated our 33 wedding anniversary last Thursday. :U Now that he's retired we finally have time to do things together.

I've been wondering if I should find a different pattern? A little bigger one maybe? Would that help make planning the color changes easier?

Please let me know what you think.

Happy crocheting,

Hi Everyone,

I've got a start, not sure it's going well but it's going.

Here it is :

IMG-8-1.jpg

Karen,

Did I read somewhere that you have a technique for dealing with all these ends? It's been a long day and I'm having trouble remembering what I read and who wrote what! Sorry.

I must be getting old. These eyes don't want to see this thread tonight either. Must be time to quit.

I'll try some more tomorrow,

Eagerly awaiting updates on this CAL. I'm very intimidated by the prospect of crocheting with thread..I have the painted doily book,but the color changes..Will do more reading and looking at all your beautiful work. Maybe someday..

Nancy, I can only do this kind of work in strong daylight--hence, only in summer.

I have a system that works great for ends, but you have to do it as you go along. I don't tie knots. At the end of a round, when I'm ready to add a new thread, I just add the new thread, without dropping anything yet, and crochet with four strands together for a few stitches. It locks everything together, and then I just cut off the thread I'm dropping, even with my work. There's no real need to weave in the end, because one strand of 3 cannot unravel. Later, I cut off the tail of the thread I added, again without weaving it in (usually).

On my first doily, I tied knots for all the threads I dropped and added, and wove in dozens upon dozens of end. It was horrible, but it was also the inspiration for thinking up another way, which I've used since (I'm doing my 4th painted doily now), and they seem to hold up well.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the advice on the ends. I'll be trying it from here on out.

I'm using the 15 row doily pattern and planned to do changes based on 3 rows per set - not sure what else to call them! (three solid, three making the change to the next shade, three solid in the that next shade, etc....)

But I'm thinking after I get my tension under control and it starts looking a little better on my second doily I'm going to try a different plan by making the changes less uniform. (5 rows of solid, 4 to change over, 1 solid of color 2, and so on) Of course it will all depend on the pattern won't it?

I have to say I'm enjoying this new technique immensely. It brings a whole new level of creativity into play.

Happy crocheting,

Yes--lots of scope for color play. I found that I didn't care for the solid sections (all three strands the same), so I tend to skip those. Instead of doing an "aaa" color pattern, I use "abc"--and have three strands in different colors.

But there are infinite ways to play with it and they all come out looking really cool. Hopefully none of your rounds are just strands of chains that get covered up dc's in the next round--those rounds don't really show and can mess up your color scheme.

Good luck--can't wait to see your finished project. You're way ahead of us, although I have done some more work on the sunset doily (which has five colors and 32 rounds).

Hi,

I have a some progress to show you. Crochet time is limited today but I hope to maybe finish this by this evening. I have 4 more rows. I almost had a major disaster on my hands with it yesterday. A knot that would not cooperate. I ended up cutting two of the threads to get it out. I'm just glad I was able to get it. :yay

IMG-9.jpg

Happy Crocheting,

Hi,

I'd like an honest critique of my first painted doily. It still needs blocked but as it's 3:00 AM I think I'll wait till morning to worry about that. :lol

I noticed I have a tendency to tighten my tension with this thread. I'm thinking it's because it's slippery, but maybe it's just me. I've been using lots of yarn lately.

For myself, I was disappointed with the lightest shade of thread in the outer rounds. I thought it was a better match but now it looks like the wrong hue for the others.

There is one error - I missed a ch 3 in there somewhere. I did it again in a later round and it was obvious so I gave frogging a try - thankfully I was able to frog a whole row and fix it.

I had fun trying a new technique and after the Greek games are over I'd like to come back for another, bigger attempt.

OK, please be honest in you appraisals - I'm a big girl and I can take it. :D

IMG-10.jpg

Nancy,

First--go to bed! :)

I did suggest you might want to consider your first project a learning experience. I don't think it's bad--not at all--but it seems incomplete to me somehow. I think you could make fewer rounds of the solids, and have the transitions go a little longer--just take two or more rounds per transition pattern (aab, etc..), and it will make the shading stand out more. I see what you mean about the lightest color not matching perfectly, but I think it could be diminished a bit by shading back into the dark color at the end--that's why it seems unfinished to me. I think shading back into the darker color, or even just adding it abruptly at the end would make it seem more finished.

Reminds me of my first painted doily--I was using six colors (really bad idea) with about 20 rounds. I didn't realize some rounds would be covered by subsequent rounds, and my colors shifts were too abrupt. And I had to leave mistakes in the doily because I couldn't frog.

So, I think you did a fantastic (and very fast) job. Now I want to know what you have in mind for after the Olympics are over!

Archived