Are shawls useful?

I was thinking of maybe making a shawl for my mom as a Christmas gift and was wondering, are they really very useful? Or are they just something pretty that sits on a shelf? I was thinking of the Seraphina and I would probably also give her a pin to wear it with. Next summer she and my step-dad are thinking of moving back to Bogota where it is always chilly and no central heat and she sits at the computer a lot so do you think in that situation it would be useful? Also, what kind of yarn. If I made this in acrylic would it just ruin it? I was thinking of maybe a nice baby yarn, or maybe cotton ease?

As someone who hates being in a draft, and actually gets stiff from one..Yes, shawls are useful. You can drape it over one shoulder, pull it up around your neck, or wear it traditionally. Acrylic is wonderful for everyday shawls, just machne wash, dry and wear. Wool is lovely, but needs special care and blocking. I have a large acrylic shawl in a heavier yarn that I pin together and wear as a poncho in winter. I think your mother will love a shawl.

I'm currently making a Seraphina in an acrylic boucle (JoAnn's Rainbow Boucle, to be exact), and I like how it's working up. It's soft, pretty lightweight, but still warm. I'm making it for a friend who, like Kathy, gets very stiff from being in the cold.

I made shawls out of Homespun for my mom, MIL, and grandma last year, using the standard Lion Brand prayer shawl pattern. Mom and MIL both love theirs - they always have stiff necks and shoulders from the cold. Grandma loved hers too, and after she passed away my mom gave it back to me, and it really is wonderful for curling up on the couch. Plus it's like getting a hug from Grandma every time I wrap it around my shoulders...

So yes, shawls really are useful.

I agree, they are great for when you are sitting and say watching tv, reading, crocheting etc, because they keep your upper body warm but free up your hands. I have several and love them all. I also have one I keep in the car, sometimes DH turns the heat down and I get cold, the shawl is just enough and can be thrown off when I warm up.... So YES

I live in my shawls. My best friend and I usually fight over the ones I make and we trade them off to match our outfits when we go on a date or something. We have a tradition every sunday of going out to breakfast and then going antique shopping. we ALWAYS look for big brooches for our many shawls. Over a tank top in summer and a turtle neck in winter, they are useful year round! :yes

PS- last sunday I didnt have one with me, and after our antiquing, we stopped by the ocean for dinner and I actually wore a TABLECLOTH my friend had bought that afternoon as a shawl!!! Who would know? It looked just like the chrysanthemum tea shawl! :lol

I teach second grade and my room is ALWAYS cold. My shawl keeps me warm and allows my arms to be free to work with my kids. I also keep one in my car and one draped over the arm of my recliner. My dh's grandma is 99 and is seldom without the one I made her! SHAWLS RULE!

One of my first projects was a super easy, double strand worsted weight shawl that was worked up with a P hook, or something huge like that. I made it out of cheapo RHSS that I picked up at Wally World and after at least 50 washes it is still wonderful! It only gets softer with every wash and it has warmed me many an evening in my large home that is not properly balanced for temperature (some rooms will be frigid while others are comfortable or possibly hot). I plan on making another one in one of my "preferred" colors (original is black and I look best in either chocolate brown or olive green) when I get around to it.

My vote is yes! They are very useful in many situations. I may get flogged for this... but I think they are also far more elegant looking than ponchos which give similar effects.

I have to agree. I like one here at my computer for the winter months. With arthritis, keeping warm is important - for me anyway - and I can still use the computer. :clap

Before I started crocheting, I never had or used a shawl. But now, I'd be lost without one. I mostly use one at work where I sit at a PC all day right under an AC vent! Boucle is very nice and warm too :manyheart

I never really wore mine until I got a pin. One of those with a round "O" and a stick to drive through it. My advice, give a shawl and a pin together. Something that matches in color would be cool or silver maybe. I want this one!!!

I'm currently making a Seraphina in an acrylic boucle (JoAnn's Rainbow Boucle, to be exact), and I like how it's working up. It's soft, pretty lightweight, but still warm. I'm making it for a friend who, like Kathy, gets very stiff from being in the cold.

I just finished the Seraphina in exactly the same yarn (blue shades) for my best friend. Its a great pattern and it really turns out gorgeous. Its hard to mess up once you get the sequence down.

I say go for it :cheer

I agree with everyone else. I love shawls! We have a convertible car, and hubby always likes to drive with the roof down, even now in the middle of winter! So I huddle there with my shawl, which keeps me cosy.

You can never have too many either.

Like everyone else I love the shawls. They keep my shoulders warm while I am sitting at the computer. I always get cold across the shoulders, don't know why. A shawl or shrug works great.

i never thought i'd wear a shawl, until a friend from here raok'd me one. i use it a lot! as others have said it's great for keeping that slight chill away without being too bulky. i even wrapped it around my 4yr old n our walk to town the other day as i couldn't find her coat and she was cold. she linked her tiny fingers through it and pulled it close

I love my shawls! I found a vintage crocheted one at a thrift store when I was in college. Back then, my roomie called me a 'dork' for buying it, but I'm glad I spent the $.50!! It's a half-circle shawl, white, and has a lovely fringe on it. It looks easy enough to duplicate. I also made a couple others for when I had my dd 2 years ago, and they were wonderful when used as a cover-up while nursing. The lighter ones are lovely in the summer so that baby doesn't smother, and the heavier ones are nice in cold weather to keep both baby and mama warm. I also wear them when it's chilly and I'm feeling to lazy to grab a jacket to walk to the mailboxes. I even sometimes wear one while grocery shopping in the frozen food section--even in the summer, because one of the stores I go to has their a/c cranked up, and the frozen foods are in open freezers, making the aisles very cold :wbrr. I sometimes have to cover dd while walking through.

I love shawls of all types, warm fluffy ones for the colder days, light and lacy ones for a night on the town in the summer.

I love them so much that I'm even making one for all the ladies in my bridal party for when my common-law DH and I get married. They'll be wearing the gorgeous Duchess Stole that Kathy gave me the privilege to test for her. Only this time, I promise to take pictures of them all.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I love shawls also. I have a raggy one that I bought very cheap at a yard sale. It has been everywhere with me. I know I should make myself one, but I am never on the list as priority.

Can anyone recommend a good pattern (easy)?

:manyheart

Archived