I buy tons of yarn and don't make anything!!

So I have a problem. I buy random skeins of yarn here and there and RARELY actually make anything.

I started about a year and a half ago. Sinc ethen I've made 3 amigurumis and 2 baby blankets. (Those baby blankets were both done last month)

I would be embarrassed to count the balls of yarn I have stashed away. 50?? 75??

Thing is, most of them are only one of each color and so old that the dye lots would be different. I don't even like 90% of them anymore.

I am now totally addicted and want to start more projects, but I'm weird about actually starting. I'm super crazy picky about the pattern, the color, the yarn... and then I'm so afraid it'll turn out ugly that I don't even start.

Weirdo.:lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoken like a true crochet & yarn addict. :lol Ugg, I don't want to talk about what all I have stashed away right now. :rofl

This is why I was laughing inside a little at the last "what to do with this yarn" post.

I have been collecting yarn even though I am new and not really crocheting anything.. lol!!!

I had closed to 20 somethings stashed here and there in my basement that I know for a fact I have had at least ... 10 years... or so.

(oh my dog.. did I just say that out loud?)

:welcome:hug Welcome to the club! What took you so long?:coo:loco

I love this response!!! :hook My question is this...how do you make your husband understand the "need" for yarn and patterns? I am having a very difficult time here! Any insight would be appreciated! I try to explain that it is like his garage full of tools but he's not buying it!

Oh, I know just what you mean! :lol I have three big cardboard boxes of yarn and two totes full of yarn and yarn scraps! And just the other day I hit Hobby Lobby and found some great clearance yarn that I just could NOT pass up! I have a yarn stash that would take me ages to work through...

You could always do granny square afghans. They're fast and simple to do and could burn up some of that yarn pretty quickly for you. Or you could do stripped ripple afghans, too.

I am so lucky my hubby helps me hunt for yarn! he is just glad that i like to do something that keeps me at home with him, and i can make things for myself and help others by donating squares and completed afghans to the foster children.

as for the yarn, donate what you dont really like to the auction, or look through the wish lists and be a fgm. i know there are many of us that would galdly take your odd skeins or balls and use them to make square and such for charity work.

have fun with what you have! i know my stash is over 100 skeins and i love it!

Sometimes, the first rows can be the hardest to get something going. I know a lady whose friend is always asking her to start her project and then she takes over.

As for those skeins that are single, hats for charity can be made quickly and can be well-appreciated.

I recently went through a bin and picked out all the lonely one skeins and put them in a seperate tub, waiting to be made into hats. Or a small scarf, or a set of mittens, etc.

Charities can use them in the winter, and you are helping out someone in need. Try it. It's a good feeling to help others.

:manyheart

When I Worked At A Craft Store, (never Seemed Like I Ever!! Recieved A Paycheck!!) When Yarn Or Craft Items Were Damaged The Manager Threw Stuff In A Box And Sold It Way Below Retail. Soooo.. Everyone Asked Why??/ And What?? Do You Do With This Stuff?? My Answer : Some People Save 401 K....this Is Mine (none Was Offered There) Jokingly !!. Needless To Say I Have Cursed Myself Because I Am Now Disabled. ...but Thank God I "stashed" Because I Never Could Afford To Buy The Things I Have Tucked Away At Full Retail. Sooo Stash..stash.. This Is A Nice "nest Egg" For Someday>>>>>

Hi. I know how you feel.....I have so much yarn that I had to remove my clothes from my dresser and have my husband install more shelves in my closet for the clothes and now the bottom four drawers are all yarn. Then I have a plastic bin as well as some in bags. This month I made a decision not to go to the craft stores at all and use what I have. (only a few more days left of the month woo hoo!!!) See my problem is that I am only 3 minutes away from AC Moore, Michaels, and JoAnns and they have 40% off coupons every week!!

I have made quite a few things for my 1 yr old daughter so for the last few months I have been using up leftover skeins and some new ones to make baby hats, sweaters, booties, and mittens to donate to charities. I love knowing that for just a couple dollars I can help keep someone warm and cozy. Not buying yarn this month really helped me to use up some on my stash. But I can't wait to buy some next month, lol. Good luck!

You are not a weirdo, you are a crocheter....LOL I think you need to make squares and put them together, you really can't make an ugly afghan that way. Or like others have said, make them and donate them. Or make, like I do, afghans for charity. I make them for the chemo center and the teen crisis center. Just grap that hook and get started......I hear the yarn calling you....

I don't have any problem with my DH and yarn, or mainly in my case crochet thread. And I tend to buy the more expensive threads, but he doesn't matter it makes me happy and when Mama's happy, everyone is happy!!!!!!

I'm the same way. Huge stash. ;) The only yarn I still want is some wool for felting. I want to make a kitchen rug.

:hook My question is this...how do you make your husband understand the "need" for yarn and patterns? I am having a very difficult time here! Any insight would be appreciated! I try to explain that it is like his garage full of tools but he's not buying it!

I tell my husband I need it as much as he needs his computer parts and such. He still has two working ATARI computers.:rolleyes And 4 older Mac, a pc that needs a hard drive.

WOW!!! I sure would love to go through your stash!! :drool

I am always looking for free yarn to make granny squares!! They are easy and fun to do and you can take them anywhere with you while you are waiting somewhere with nothing to do. I make them into afghans for charity.

What I like about them is each square is a complete project. So, if you are into instant gratification this is the project for you!!

I think you should donate what you can part with to the auction for the VILLE. I might want to bid on it!!! :lol

For a long time I had an awful habit of using every 40% coupon that came to me or buying yarn that was on clearance really cheap - single or two skeins of each... Just random stuff. I had a TON of it.

I destashed a while ago (I've been crocheting and doing that for 3.5 years). There was something else I really wanted to do (take a trip to England) and I sold all of the odds and ends that I'd stashed on Ebay and used the money for my trip.

I still have a few more lots that I didn't get up before I left that I'm going to sell and then treat myself to a trip to the LYS or one of my fave websites for some new yarn.

I have found that investing the money in a good quality yarn for the entire project at one time will really get me motivated (of course, I have to find the perfect pattern first!). Can't have that investment sitting around doing nothing!

I do still have a small stash of yarns that I use all the time (mostly Bernat Cotton Tots in white and cream for baby blankets, and then I can go buy a couple skeins of a contrast to spice up the project). I also kept some of the higher-end yarns that I purchased in order to complete certain projects but never got around to making.

I tell my husband I need it as much as he needs his computer parts and such. He still has two working ATARI computers.:rolleyes And 4 older Mac, a pc that needs a hard drive.

Your husband and my husband must be long-lost twins. I don't even want to count the number of towers and moniters he has in our closet. He's an especially big fan of "vintage technology."

~ Joy

At least his PC's work! That's a lot better than just having broken ones and parts laying around. Thankfully we limit ourselves to only a couple of boxes of spare parts around here. They have come in useful from time to time. :)

My hubby's projects are a lot bigger than those! be thankful, right now the projects started are a 60's truck, a mustang, a truck that wont pass emmissions, and his ugly elcamino! he wrecked it and i thought it would be a goner, but boy was i wrong!

but he understands my yarn so i wont complain!

I was building up quite the stash. One big tote, and medium size tote, and three other totes from the years from thrift stores. That is, until my parents said no more yarn. They won't take me to Mardens, darnit! And, since they have the credit cards, I can't order stuff off of the iternet.

Oh well, I find a way to get more yarn. ;)

Hmm...

Archived