do you feel cold??then you need a ....

I didn't like the way the capelet was looking so I started a shawl today. I bought the latest issue of Crochet! today at Books A Million. I love the shawl in it by Kristin that is one of the ladies here on the boards. It's so different. I've started the inner pieces in a varigated yarn. I'm almost done with the first piece of it.

We'd love to see a picture if you get the chance.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doing the shawl in a K hook was not a good idea! It came out so soft and thick and fluffy that it would've made an AWESOME winter ghan!!!!! I'm going to try it again with my I 1/2 hook

I love my hooks. Jimbo made me custom sizes and they're perfect!

Iris St. is basically 2dc, ch2, 2dc in each ch2 sp

for the chain - do a cluster and skip 3 and do your next cl in the 4th ch.

Make sure you turn at the end of each row even if you're doing it in rounds or else you get a weird tilt to the left.

I found another stitch that looks like rows of arches (which i think is perfect for rainbows)

Hopefully I'll like this one before i just give up and pick a new project.

(I just found a BEAUTIFUL size 30 rose wedding shawl that I'm thinking I might have to make - keep your fingers crossed - I'll let you know!)

Red Rose

I had to look up the Van Gogh method... I had never heard of it. OMG! It is beautiful! And you said you were going to use different colors in the baby coordinates??? It with be stunning! I, for one cannot wait to see it started! It is going to be way cool...no matter what stitch you use!!!

q8

What pattern are you using again? Did you just get done with school? You said you had exams. What are you going for?

I am with noahsmom..... we need pics!

siminsc.... I just go my crochet! today magazine...I will have to check out the shawl you started. What didn't you like about the caplette? I have been wondering about making one similar to the one you were trying... but I think the patterns a bit to short... i would make it a bit longer.

i finally decided on the rainbow shawl. it'll be a really long and narrow granny done in reverse rainbow (red on the outside and violet in the middle).

I started my lilac hearts - 342 dc's for the 1st row. half way done!!! YAY!!!

You can see a pic of the shawl in the latest issue of Crochet on my Bloq. I also scanned the first motif that I've been working on. I was doing the capelet all in pink and it looked boring to me so I may frog it. I'm working off and on on the shawl since I'm also working on a baby doll that I want to finish before the next pattern for a doll gets here.

Sue

http://stitchbystichwithsue.blogspot.com/

i finished my 1st row of 342 dc's and measured it. It was 7 1/2 feet long! I say was because I already frogged! I'll try it again with an F hook and see how long it is. I need to make a gauge swatch for the van go rainbow

JACKIE

i finished exams yesturday i`m useing a ripple pattern from jan eaton 200ripple stiches book i started with 252chains made the first row and it`s going easy and cute :hook

YAY!!! i frogged and redid the beginning of the shawl. Now that the foundtion row is set I should fly thru it. With all my playing with swatches on the vangoh rainbow I think I'm going to have to use a K hook for the right thickness.

The heart shawl is exactly 6 feet long with an F hook!!! It was 7 1/2 feet long with a G. Big difference - WOW! i'm so glad I redid it.

Hi Everyone ~ I haven't checked-in for quit a while! I haven't given up, just decided to try a different (and easier) pattern. I started last night and I think it will be just fine. The pattern I am using was on the diy.com website and it is super easy! But instead of the fringe I think that I will put some type of edging and maybe in a different color. Hope everyone else is having much success in this CAL! :hug

I'm so excited y'all!!!!

My Blue Curacao and Chrysanthemum Shawls are on display in the front window of my LYS!!!!!!! I forgot to take a camera with me on Saturday so I could share it with you, but when I go this week, I'll be sure to take a pic!!

I've started a third shawl.....it's the Springtime Wrap in the April/May issue of Crochet Today magazine. I got a great discount on Carabella Breeze, which is a cashmere/silk blend.......without the discount I would never have been able to afford it!!!!! I'm already finished with the first row of motifs - it should go very quickly. I can't wait to share pics with you!

Wow!! Your work displayed for all the world to admire! Congratz!! I have yarn and a pattern, but haven't put hook to yarn yet. I plan on starting next week on my next trip. I hope it goes fairly quicly, I've got too much on my plate at work and crochet....

Julie Kay started the Van Gogh's Closet Crochet Along http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51096 . It's a method that uses 2 strands and shading the yarns together for a blended look. it's a very long thread but you can go thru it fast and just look at the pics.

I picked up the pastel rainbow colors in the bernat baby coordinates for the shawl. The thing is I really, REALLY like the thick puffy iris st. Now I'm thinking about making it my winter blankie. Too much yarn - not enough hours in the day.

I finished the 1st heart in the 1st row of hearts! I'll post a pic tomarrow. It's going so fast now that the pattern is set. I forgot how much I enjoy filet crochet.

I', thinking about doing one in cotton - i have the kitchen cotton - for a lighter weight. I like the bernat baby coordinate in the white a lot but I want a shawl that's actually summer weight.

RoseRed Have you thought about using #3 cotton thread and a F hook? The hook is big enough to move things along and make it drape nice, but not so big that it looks stupid and like you were using an oversized hook. I thought about making myself a shrug out of it, but haven't gotten to it. I'm sure you could even do a fillet one and it would look good. I've found kitchen coton doesn't always drape that nice and is worsted weight so gets heavy anyhow... imho.... :shrug

RoseRed Have you thought about using #3 cotton thread and a F hook? The hook is big enough to move things along and make it drape nice, but not so big that it looks stupid and like you were using an oversized hook. I thought about making myself a shrug out of it, but haven't gotten to it. I'm sure you could even do a fillet one and it would look good. I've found kitchen coton doesn't always drape that nice and is worsted weight so gets heavy anyhow... imho.... :shrug

that's exactly what I was worried about. I hadn't thought about #3. I'm spending the day making little hot pads for my table. My microwave died so now I have to cook the old fashioned way - this is why Ilove stoneware - out of the stove and right onto the table AND it looks nice too!

Can't wait to get back to my lavender shawl - it looks so pretty with the first row of hearts done.

red rose....

I would love to see pics of you lavender shawl!!! It sounds devine! My shawl is the babycoordinates in white and I think it is going to be perfect for summer! I am on about row 35 or so... and on my second skein. So far I love it! I can't wait to get it done so I can use it! I hate to go out to eat in the summer... cause I always am cold!!! This shawl is going to get used alot since it is white and I can wear it with almost anything!

Bruisin - we believe in you! what stitches do you know how to do? What are some of the things that you've made so far?

I think the simplest thing you could do is to pick a stitch that you can do, make it about 2 feet wide and keep going until it's at least 5 feet. I prefer 6 - it drapes better.

I'm so excited y'all!!!!

My Blue Curacao and Chrysanthemum Shawls are on display in the front window of my LYS!!!!!!! I forgot to take a camera with me on Saturday so I could share it with you, but when I go this week, I'll be sure to take a pic!!

Totally WoW Christi

We are all so proud :lashes... When one of us wins; we all win! Crochet Rules!

I wish I could, but I cant figure this mess of patterns out!

so which particular mess of patterns is causing the problem?

Rose had a good suggestion - just do what you know how to do but do it big enough to qualify. I happen to think that anything done in V-stitch is wonderful

If there is a specific pattern that is causing grief... just share and we will help if we can. :hug

Bruisin, this is just a simple V-st in V-st shawl beginning. it would drape so nicely and do all that you want for your dear MIL

vstshawl1.jpg

What I will do with this is to keep going until it is about 3 feet long and then I will go back to the starting chain and work 3 feet in the other direction

vstshawl2.jpg

I hope the simple V-st in V-st shows up in this pic. I love this and it always seems to me that V-stitches hug each other - I love that about them

I started with a chain 64, dc in 5th ch from hook and then a V-st (dc, ch1, dc) in every 3rd stitch. You can start with any multiple of 3 + 4 and get the same effect in whatever width you want the shawl.

Very nice! And V stitches are also easy to do decreases and increases with if you wanted to do a triangle. Simply slip stitch in the first V of the row and leave off the last one to decrease, or 2 V in the first and last to increase.

I love the color Darski and it looks like the puppy is quite interested as well :D

Archived