do you feel cold??then you need a ....

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh wow, that's gorgeous! Is the pattern well written and easy to follow?

Yes on both counts. I have patterns from the 1940's through 1960's that I inherited from my grandmother and "Workbaskets" from the 1970's that I saved. Most of the patterns are prettier than many of the patterns I find today and the directions seem a lot clearer for some reason.

I think I'll have better luck finishing this if I join you gals for some support. I found the following pattern in the May 1976 issue of "the Workbasket and Home Arts Magazine." I fell in love with it and will be doing it in Bernat Berella "4" in burgundy. It's done using a J hook.

DCP_1422.jpg

I have that workbasket. I've been thinking about starting that pattern for ever and ever but never have the perfect yarn for it.

Can't wait to see your version of it!!

Take Care!

Julee

I think I'll have better luck finishing this if I join you gals for some support. I found the following pattern in the May 1976 issue of "the Workbasket and Home Arts Magazine." I fell in love with it and will be doing it in Bernat Berella "4" in burgundy. It's done using a J hook.

DCP_1422.jpg

I didn't join this CAL, but I have that issue of Workbasket and have been thinking about making that shawl. I've tried a few of their patterns and they seem slightly confusing to me at times. (its probably just me, and no reflection on their patterns) I'll be checking in to see how yours comes out.

I'm working on a shawl. A triangluar granny made out of homespun. It's hugh! I kept adding more skeins but I think I am going to stop after this last one. It's for me becase I do get really cold all wihter long. I'll post a picture soon and post my progress here!

I've been working on the Pineapple Shawl for about 1 1/4 hours now and am halfway through round 7. I was trying out a new wooden hook initially and have now switched to a new Clover hook. The point on the wooden hook is too sharp and I was continually splitting the yarn. I'm going to have to take some sandpaper to the point and dull it down a bit before using it again. The Clover hook is working beautifully. No problems with the pattern so far.:)

well, I started the sweet pea shawl from The Happy Hooker book this morning, and finished it about a half an hour ago. Next time I will add to the beginning chain. It was too small for me so I gave it to my daughter. I posted pics in my projects on Ravelry.

well, I started the sweet pea shawl from The Happy Hooker book this morning, and finished it about a half an hour ago. Next time I will add to the beginning chain. It was too small for me so I gave it to my daughter. I posted pics in my projects on Ravelry.

I just went over to Raverly to see your shawl! Pretty!

Your daughter wil enjoy it!

Well now I'm wishing I had chosen the Sweet Pea if'n it goes that fast! LOL! It is one I like, I just hadn't gotten it from the library. My librarians are GREAT~they ordered a copy for our branch since I check it out so much~HA!

I love those Clover hooks! WHY don't they make them bigger than a J?

My back is out (OUCH!), so I plan to crochet the day away and get as close to finishing my pineapple shawl(s) as I can. I need to get more yarn since I've started two, and that's not gonna happen today.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Oh, Sandi! Gentle :hug. Having your back out is awful.

I have finished 9 of the 28 rows of my shawl. Sarge, :cat, was such a BIG HELP! NOT!! He kept getting in my lap and sticking his nose in my hands right where my fingers hold the hook and demanding scritches and rubbing. Later when I reached down to untangle the ball of yarn from my chair I discovered him SITTING on it with a very smug expression on his face. Kitties!!

I would love to join you too! I love making shawls....I'll need to find a pattern and see what yarn I have!

I currently have three shawls (actually wraps, I've learned from reading here) that I'd like to finish...

The first one is a white prayer shawl in v-stitch...about half done on the crocheting...then it needs fringing.

The other two are the snapdragon stitch...one in faded denim sugar n cream and the other in some WW variegated in berry tones.

Can I play too? :hook

mac+

I'm in too! I'm currently working on the Lisette Sweater Shawl (gourmet crochet pattern) and hope to finish it this week. Then I need to do a pineapple shawl but want to make it in a different yarn.....

I want to join in, too. I am looking for a pattern or idea though. I see several I like but haven't made up my mind yet. I'm looking for something out of a light-weight or lace weight yarn with a simple pattern that would not take too long to make. I would like to have it for a cruise I'm going on in September and the dining room can be cool on the ship.

Check out the blue jeans shawl! It's actually a lighter weight than it looks. It's amazingly simple and short enough to not get in your way. It goes super fast too. There's only a couple row repeats and once you get it down you won't need the instructions.

DSCI0494.jpg

DSCI0495.jpg

The serafina is really pretty too if you use a smaller yarn and a larger hook

DSCI0771.jpg

DSCI0770.jpg

Thanks Rose. I had looked at the Seraphina but was afraid it would not be big enough if I used a laceweight yarn. I do like the pattern and I am sure I will make it sometime if not this time.

I had found a pattern for a liquid gold chain mesh scarf that I thought might work if I made it wider and longer. It can be found here: www.piece-by-piece.net/Crochet/mesh_scarf.htm

What do you think?

Linda, that's really pretty! That blue jeans shawl is too... I was thinkin' the Sweet Pea, and you can get the book from the library if you don't have it....

Well, before I know it I will be crocheting the edging for my pineapple shawl! I've had mixed reactions on the color~some love it, and some think WHY would you DO that? LOL! Still kinda nervous and hope the recipient will like it... *I* think it's sooo beautiful!!!!

(((((HUGS))))) sandi

Dot has one that looks like the sweet pea but it's a rectangle. I just can't think of the name of it right now.

The scarf looks pretty. It's not a pattern I'd do - I don't really like working with all those chains. It'll be a lot tighter in a lace weight tho.

Have you thought about using like a size 5 thread maybe - it won't be as warm as yarn.

Thanks Rose. I had looked at the Seraphina but was afraid it would not be big enough if I used a laceweight yarn. I do like the pattern and I am sure I will make it sometime if not this time.

I had found a pattern for a liquid gold chain mesh scarf that I thought might work if I made it wider and longer. It can be found here: www.piece-by-piece.net/Crochet/mesh_scarf.htm

What do you think?

Hi, I just wrote a pattern last week (I think it was last week) for a shawl that can be made in any yarn and to any size you like.

Here's the link: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80272

It works up really fast and is really good if your watching a movie or something.

Good luck finding the right pattern.

Julee

Hi, I just wrote a pattern last week (I think it was last week) for a shawl that can be made in any yarn and to any size you like.

It works up really fast and is really good if your watching a movie or something.

Julee

This is a wonderful pattern! I made one in a pretty purple, wore it out got oodles of compliments....BUT I gave it to someone who really needed a warm hug before I had a chance to take a pic of it.:( I will be starting another for me soon....hubby keeps telling me to STOP giving my work away.

Julee

I LOVE your shawl pattern...and think I may have found just the yarn for it.

mac+

Archived