do you feel cold??then you need a ....

I am looking for people to do a shawl with also, Maybe we can start together. I am stuck on what to choose, maybe the seraphina, maybe simply shawl, maybe the simplist shawl ever or it's a wrap. I want to know also if I can make the half moon shawl larger than pictured also, I would like to make that one too.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! I plan to start tomorrow. Still debating on whether to make the seraphina or the simpler DIY triangular... I do know I want to use the Van Gogh 'method' and work with 2 stands and a big hook. I really like the shape of the seraphina, but I like the simplicity of the DIY shawl (read: mindless!) How about you?

I'm really wanting to try the Seraphina again. (and again and again) I've been working on another diamond ghan for my BIL for Xmas and I'm starting to burn out on the pattern. It HAS to be finished in a month so I think I can get in a shawl.

Does anyone have patterns for a batwing?

I am doing the cupcake half moon shawl. I am on row five or six so far. I am doing the shawl in two colors, variegated for the main part and lilac for the shells. It's looking good so far. I started it like five times, because I changed hooks three times, changed pattern once, from regular Half moon to cupcake. Other wise I would be much farther along. Had to work on my RR for the RR crochetalong too. I have to finish the third row of the last seven row pattern. I am on a roll! I am usually very slow. This shawl pattern says it can be done in an evening. HA!! What is the DIY shawl? Basically just pick a pattern stitch and make it up from the point? Taht would be nice too. Rose Red, go for it on the seraphina. I don't know of any other batwing design

I am doing the cupcake half moon shawl. This shawl pattern says it can be done in an evening. HA!! What is the DIY shawl? Basically just pick a pattern stitch and make it up from the point? Taht would be nice too. Rose Red, go for it on the seraphina. I don't know of any other batwing design

Here's the DIY shawl pattern:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_other/article/0,2025,DIY_14142_4910752,00.html

It's supposed to be very straightforward and easy.

I finally just decided to do about what you described above no pattern - just make a simple triangular shawl with increases at the beginning and end of every row, using the Van Gogh colorway with a big hook in Hdc. Looks good so far and is working up very quickly - warm and thick but still drapey. Will probably add on some more size with the border and then add a ruffle into the border. So far it doesn't seem to be using up as much yarn as I thought it would. Yea!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to join the shawl makers! I have some light green homespun yarn-just have to decide on a pattern.My mother has been hospitalized for 2 months and is now in a nursing home-even though she lives in florida,she is always cold!She said she wants a green one-in a triangle shape.Maybe I'll one of the easy ones,as I am in hurry to send it to her. Leslie

Everybody is welcome to just jump right in!

I recently finished mine and it went very quickly. I started at the 'pointy' end and just increased 1 stitch at each end of the row. I used 2 strands of yarn throughout in Hdc with a 'P' hook and it came out nice and thick(?). I just keep going until the size suited me and it drapes nicely and isn't overly large. I then added a couple of rows of Sc border in a single strand using an 'N' hook and then added a slightly ruffled shell border.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/stonezebra/crochetville/debbshawl.jpg

I think it came out pretty well for my first triangular shawl!

Everybody is welcome to just jump right in!

I recently finished mine and it went very quickly. I started at the 'pointy' end and just increased 1 stitch at each end of the row. I used 2 strands of yarn throughout in Hdc with a 'P' hook and it came out nice and thick(?). I just keep going until the size suited me and it drapes nicely and isn't overly large. I then added a couple of rows of Sc border in a single strand using an 'N' hook and then added a slightly ruffled shell border.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/stonezebra/crochetville/debbshawl.jpg

I think it came out pretty well for my first triangular shawl!

I love the colors you used!

Thanks! Debb picked those - she said purple and green and blue in kind of dusty shades so that's what I used. It's Vanna's Choice and was on sale at the time, perfect timing I thought! I hope to send it out to her next week. She lives in way up north and will still be able to use it as they're about to get more snow - eeekkk!

Thanks! Debb picked those - she said purple and green and blue in kind of dusty shades so that's what I used. It's Vanna's Choice and was on sale at the time, perfect timing I thought! I hope to send it out to her next week. She lives in way up north and will still be able to use it as they're about to get more snow - eeekkk!

She'll love it!

I'm going to make the free Lion Brand pattern, Romantic Speed Hook Shawl. It's made with an S hook which for some reason I have but don't remember buying! :lol

Here's the link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60516.html?noImages=0

Now I have to figure out what yarn from my stash I'm going to use to make it. I'm really looking forward to making a fast, easy project like this one!:clap

who's ready to try the serafina now that you can actually understand the pattern?

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74666&highlight=seraphina

I'm totally hooked! Check out my blog - you'll see what I mean.

...and if you do try it and need help - I'll do my best! I'm leaving for Dad's tomarow and I'll be back Wednesday.

Triskele,

I love the shawl you made! :cheerHow did you begin it?I want to make one like it.thanks, leslie

Thanks! The 'particulars' are in post #184. I think started with 2 stitches, and then I just increased 1 stitch at the beginning AND end of every row...

chain 4, hdc in the 3rd and 4th chains from hook, turn

ch2, work 2 hdc in the first stitch AND the second one, turn

ch2, work 2 hdc in the first stitch, 1 hdc in each of next 2 stiches, 2 hdc in the last stitch, turn,

ch2, continue working 2 hdc in the first and last stitches of each row, and 1 hdc in the other stitches

Hope that was clear.

I am nearing an end on my shawl from a Pumamouse pattern. I will be glad when it is done - it's not the most interesting pattern, but good for tv watching or the like. It's coming out lovely!

I'm going to make the free Lion Brand pattern, Romantic Speed Hook Shawl. It's made with an S hook which for some reason I have but don't remember buying! :lol

That's the same pattern I used only in single crochet with a much bigger hook. Should go really fast. It's more lacy and delicate than mine. I may have to try that next... either that or the Seraphina....!

Triskele - that is really, really pretty

Thank you!! It was so nice and easy to do and worked up fast. Really considering the Seraphina now that someone (or several someones) has/have made it clearer. I couldn't make heads or tails of the first one I read :lol

Archived