Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

Liz, your RR is adorable as are the darling things on your blog. WOW!! You are one very talented lady. Thanks for sharing all your photos with us.:yay:yay

Gotta agree with this :yes Those two baby dresses you made for them to wear at your BILs wedding are the most adorable thing!! I love baby clothes that aren't so "pastely". Great job!! :yay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liz, your blog is so cool! I love that little dumpling baby you are holding and your little niece too.. what sweet babies! There is nothing sweeter than a new mom making things for her new baby.. adorable, and your work is beautiful!

Thimble (too early, I forgot your name!)...

Your poor dog! I have 2 German shepherds, and the older female has issues with all the things you mentioned...If a similar thing had happened to me I would not have been as self-controlled as you, I'm afraid... It was too bad you were forced to have to put your furbaby in cargo because of the distance. That's why (but only if my younger dog didn't get carsick:P ) I woud drive wherever I would have to go.

You and your dog were so very, very lucky...:hug

Regarding Straight Ripples: I agree somewhat that they are boring, but hey, it's crochet!

There are straight ripple patterns available that are not just dc so many stitches, skip two, dc so many stitches, chain 2, repeat. Although I haven't done any straight ripples that are really challenging, at least the lacy-type patterns I've seen make them more interesting.

Gene

Yea, there are lots of different stitches that they have put into ripple patterns now to make them more exciting.

I think plain old sc ripple afghans are some of the NEATEST looking afghans, stitch -wise . Especially if they are done in sc and a small hook, like a G .

They do take a LOT of time though .

I have never really done an entire ripple stitch afghan, but you know if I had the patience I think I could have one of those ongoing projects to do with my eyes closed. Yep it may get boring, hmm.. but I love the effect of this gentle shaded van gogh thing..

My gran had one on her front porch in fiesta colors with a big sombrero suspended from the roof of the porch. This was on 13th Ave. South in Mlps., literally worlds away from Mexico as it was 32 below on that porch in the winter! Still, we always felt so exotic sitting on the wicker furniture with her single stitch ripple pulled over us. We were so wild back then! :lol

Thimble (too early, I forgot your name!)...

Your poor dog! I have 2 German shepherds, and the older female has issues with all the things you mentioned...If a similar thing had happened to me I would not have been as self-controlled as you, I'm afraid... It was too bad you were forced to have to put your furbaby in cargo because of the distance. That's why (but only if my younger dog didn't get carsick:P ) I woud drive wherever I would have to go.

You and your dog were so very, very lucky...:hug

Hiya Judy, it's Jill, and yes I feel I was pretty lucky.. but still I was so mad I was really steamed. They are your babies after you have them that long, even after a minute sometimes they are your babies! The ground crew and ticketing people refused to allow passengers down to the kennels where the animals were kept because of their rules regulations etc.. and I was sure he would be dead when I got him finally out of "special packages" in seattle.. a soldier returning from Iraq was with me waiting for access to "special packages" to retrieve his weapon inside a big black case..and helped me with Magic, I was crying and this soldier was only about 20 years old. He rubbed Magic's throat and ran way across the terminal to grab water from a ticketing agent (he just grabbed her water and she just looked at him like what are you doing,.,.) and ran back and poured fresh cool water into his hand for Magic. It was a pretty touching moment for everybody because this young guy was in Mosul (we found out later) and had been there for 18 months. He later told me that was his first happy moment in that time period. I was pretty touched. I don't know if it was the dog or his helping me that made me cry, but I was so glad to be home, and on top of it all, what a welcome! My dog was drooling, staring straight ahead panting and I thought he had a stroke, so did the soldier, but he came around after a bit. The soldier told me he would do that. Such a young little guy, in fatigues and big boots, and my whole mom thing went right out the door, here is this young guy helping me, when I should have been getting him the cool water, you know what I mean.. anyway, yes that was our adventure. But, Magic is much better now! He is back to his old self. He has had a lot of excitement for a big old Collie! We invited the soldier over to dinner to our hotel but he was meeting his family, what a sweet guy to help me like that, I won't ever forget him.

My gran had one on her front porch in fiesta colors with a big sombrero suspended from the roof of the porch. This was on 13th Ave. South in Mlps., literally worlds away from Mexico as it was 32 below on that porch in the winter! Still, we always felt so exotic sitting on the wicker furniture with her single stitch ripple pulled over us. We were so wild back then! :lol

What a wonderful memory...I remember my Lithuanian grandmother and the ripple designed pillows on her sofa - in the colors of the Lithuanian flag! Until you mentioned your gran, I had forgotten!

Jill, what a wonderful story! It was so sweet...a story that should make an ASPCA magazine or something. You were very lucky - and did the right thing by offering to treat that soldier to dinner:manyheart

Jill - What a great story!! Granted it was horrible to be separted from your furbaby but what an outcome! Yes, that story needs to get out. Either ASPCAs magazine or Stars and Stripes or something :yes What an amazing group of men and women we have protecting us :manyheart

Good grief! :eek I found us on page 2. How did that happen? Anyway, good morning everybody. It's too early to take a picture yet, but I'll get one up a bit later. My crocheting time has been split up on lots of projects this week, so I haven't made as much progress as I usually do, but at least there is progress. Can't wait to see eveyone's pictures. Happy crocheting!:hook

I have ghans I promised and I'll be using this technique most likely - but for a regular sized ghan. The "giftee" wants pink and white, and my DS has requested green for his...lots of good possibilites there:)

I really do like the way the straight ripples look and would love to do one someday. When ever I see all the pretty color combos and the neat different stitches they do now I want to do one real bad though I know it won't be a sc one :lol .

I haven't made a big rr yet I too can't figure out how it covers you effectively but they whip up quick and I have made baby blankets and rugs and a wall hanging with the rr.

Speaking of baby blankets here is the finished one I did last week and some of the hats that I did in the Van Gogh style.

th_crochet151.jpgclickable.

Rennee - big huge bummer on the bag issue, Honestly airlines are just so disorganized. Coming back from Norway to Seattle, SAS lost my DOG in Amsterdam, because we had the luck of traveling during the ONE day Amsterdam got fogged in.. so we had to land in this little farm town because pilot was circling and circling.. and they had to refuel, and then change planes... we spent the night in Rotterdam.. and my beautiful collie was on the RUNWAY because the ground crew LOST him. He is ten and has issues with baloons, fireworks and loud noises, so he was in SHOCK when we finally got him in Seatac, yeah they finally found him.. to top it off.. they never gave him his valium, but it was magically gone. I was steaming mad, and crying because I didn't know if he would make it. He had a very rough trip, but luckily when they rolled his carrier, he only broke his toe and the tip of his tail. :angry If he could just TELL me what they did to him, I would write that letter to uncle vito soprano.... Poor magic! sigh..

---------

Jill, I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been for you and your dog! I would so have killed them if something like that had happened to me. I'm glad that your little guy made it back to you.

So, I can't remember if I told you all what finally happened (if I did, just ignore this, hehe): my luggage arrive in Kansas City at 3:30 Tuesday afternoon. It was picked up for delivery at 5:30. I was in Lawrence. at 6:30 Wednesday morning, it still had not be delivered to me (even though I'd called the airline about 6 times at that point). So, I called at 6:30 am, and they told me it showed as having been delivered, even though it hadn't been. They called the delivery guy. He called me back 5 minutes later to say he was 5 minutes from my location. When I asked where my bag had been for the last 13 hours, he hung up on me! :eek

I'm in the process of writing a nasty complaint letter to American.

BTW, my bag did make it home just fine with me.

I will try to post a pic of what I have re-done so far. It is actually doing what it is supposed to do. :yay

I am at the point of deciding whether to do a third row of my current purple-y colour... decisions, decisions, decisions :yes:no:wlol

Heather, I love the look of the baby things!

What was the basic pattern you used for the hats?

Darski...why aren't you sure about more rows? Do you think it's big enough already?

Heather

Your ripple is very pretty and dainty looking. I know some little baby will love it . Are your hats crochet or knit ?

Darski -why dont you show us a photo and we'll help you decide ?

Judy- I don't remember if it was here or one of the other groups that someone asked you a question this morning and you said YUP ....

Just like a real cowboy !

I think we are actually all turning into COWBOYS ! We got the avatars, we got the lingo ,so what more do we need ? A couple of horses and a saddle ,maybe some boots and a hat, and we are good to go .

Well at least if they don't answer you you'll feel better for getting it off your chest. :) I'm sure they will answer and offer you something. :lol

Well at least if they don't answer you you'll feel better for getting it off your chest. :) I'm sure they will answer and offer you something. :lol

-----------

I wrote that I didn't want any more empty apologies from them. I included some really bad details that I hope will make them investigate what happened. I also said in my first paragraph that this experience assured that from now on, their competition would be my choice of airline carrier.

Heather, thanks for the link...that's the easiest preemie hat pattern I've seen! I have a nurse friend up the street who works in the NICU and would appreciate any I can send her way.:yes

Archived