Following patterns?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But how many of you follow a pattern exactly ...colors, yarn types, exact size and stitches?

I'm still new to the craft, but I've found I have a tendency to find a pattern I like, then figure out what I can use and how I can change it so that I REALLY like it.

From the few things I've done from a pattern, I haven't followed a single one exactly.

My latest example is that I turned a one-color granny square, into a two-color square, then added an extra border around it.

For me, it depends on the pattern. I rarely use the colors they specify; instead, I choose one that suits me. But I often follow the directions themselves, making minor changes as I need or want to. I change the yarn around a bit on some of them, too. If gauge isn't an issue, I don't check it, so sometimes I may end up with something slightly smaller (since I crochet tighter) than the object in the pattern is--other than that, I don't change the size much. Guess, like I said, it just depends...

I never follow a pattern exactly either! At the very least, I tend to change the color to something I'd like better. Either that, or I change the type of yarn--I'm trying to go with more wool and other natural fibers these days. Also, most patterns for tops are way too short for me, so I lengthen them. I also tend to shorten the sleeves as I have shorter arms than the norm (why, I don't know).

I don't think it's a bad thing...if nothing else, we pattern-alterers are probably all warming up for the day we can eventually write a pattern ourselves.

I try to follow the pattern directly in the same weight yarn, not the same colors. I always have to make adjustments to the pattern! I am not sure if it is because I read them wrong, or there are mistakes in the pattern. Its very frustrating!

I like to try and use yarn I already have since I have a bit of a stash :blush so I'm pretty bad about using substitute yarn. :devil So this often leads to having to use a different hook in order to meet the gauge. Though sometimes I find a pattern *then* go get the yarn for it, and make it the right (or very similar) kind.

This question has been asked here before. I don't think I have ever used the same yarn recommended. I use different hook sizes depending on the yarn I use. And I follow exactly once. If I like the FO, I try again with a few changes here and there. The objects that I make don't have to have the right gauge, so mine is ALWAYS off, due to the yarn and hook changes. I like to do them in different sizes too. One time I made a whole monkey family just by using different size hooks. They were for my son, it's his favorite animal. Also all of the CareBears that I've made are different sizes. All of them were with different combinations of yarn and hook sizes. It makes each one that more individualized!

I may start out intending to do the pattern exactly, but usually end up changing something. But with doilies, I tend to go by the patterns more exactly. I almost never use the recommended colors, I always like to choose what I like.

At the very least, I change yarn types. I don't have a local source to purchase some the the yarns the patterns call for. And I almost always have to change the hook size !! Either because I crochet too tight or because I've changed the yarn type. I've just started making wearables so I find that I usually have to change the length of a sweater or sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still learning how to follow a pattern...some seem quite confusing and I simply cannot clearly follow them...I am working on a project now from a pattern which are very clear and is working out quite well, thank you very much...but still learning...:)

I like to read patterns just to see if I understand the directions ...sometimes I do and sometimes I dont:)

Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. It depends on what/who it is for. And...if it is the first time making it...I will usually follow it exact...then adjust to my liking on the next.

My mom is a quilter, and she teaches quilting classes through their church. There is a woman (who is a pharmacist) who absolutely insists on doing a pattern exactly - right down to the brand and print of fabric.

I myself in crocheting haven't followed a pattern exactly yet. I mess with stitch count and hook size to get what I really want. And I certainly use whatever color I want.

Wayward ~ Joy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hardly ever use the color of yarn that the pattern calls for. I use what I would like to but I follow the directions pretty much like they were written. It used to be hard for me to understand the written directions, but I made myself learn how to follow them.

• 1 month later...

I use thread and not yarn so I have to compensate for that when trying to follow patterns. What I do is read ahead, figure out what is going on and do my own thing. I just figure out how big it needs to be since I have to crochet more for the same gauge. I never met a pattern that calls for colors that I like either. Kills me when they name a pattern after the color the item is...

I don't think I've ever used the color a pattern calls for! I try to stick to the same type of yarn called for - WW, bulky, etc - but I'll mix up the brands. I crochet tightly, so I always go up a hook size from what's recommended. As a rule I don't mess with the stitches called for too much, but I'll add or subtract starting chains or working rows to make a project bigger or smaller than the pattern calls for. So I guess I never follow a pattern exactly as written. :D

In fact, I didn't even follow the pattern exactly for my very first project - it was a scarf worked lengthwise, and I just quit when I thought it was wide enough. :D

I don't think I ever use the color called for either. Most of the time it's not my taste.

I also change the yarn a lot especially if I can't find what they call for or can't afford it or simply don't like it. I do try to stay in weight size though.

When making afghans I've done my own thing (color, hook, yarn, size, no gauge) so many times. I get what I want that way though rather it's baby afghans or adult size.

As for clothing I try to follow the pattern itself so it fits my daughter. Unless I'm making up something myself of course. lol

I will only follow the pattern if it is very technical and messing around with it might really fudge things up.....as I am NOT a big fan of frogging! I, too, choose colors I like.....but I try to stay in the same yarn weight and hook size advised. And as previously stated by Empress Busy Bee and RoseRed....clothes and doily patterns are usually respected for the most part or my FO is just NOT what it should be.

It really depends on what the item in question is...for the most part I change things...especially color...what I look for in a pattern is inspiration...something that can be done in different colors and types of yarn or thread...

Now, if it's a wearable, colors may stay the same, but I might have to make adjustsment in size for it to fit me...

A pattern to me is a guideline...

Usually I change the colors to the ones I need. If I really like the pattern I leave it alone and follow it completely. Being a more experienced crocheter since I have been crocheting over 30 years, I can recognize if there is a mistake in the pattern and fudge it to make it come out right.

• 11 months later...

Archived