My latest hats

gsaundrs

My favorite take-along are hats. Since my wife prefers to drive (I can't imagine why! :) ) I get the opportunity quite often and I am seldom without my take-along bag.

Most of my hats are beanie-type, but I've been wanting to make a hat with a brim or bill.

Here are my latest, from patterns found on the Internet:

446142490_d53617d02c_m.jpg

Red Hat for friend in Red Hat Society using Homespun Candy Apple and Grape yarns. The pattern is from Lion Brands Free Patterns Flowered Cloche.

446142470_45077cb952_m.jpg446142484_6a3317f036_m.jpg

The pictures above are the same hat, with different wearing options. The yarn is RHSS WW County Rose using H (5mm) hook. I'm not completely happy with the brim, but that gives me something to start with. I found this pattern at Crochet Pattern Central - the pattern was called Beret Cap with Brim.

I guess I need to get a hat mannequin for showing my hats! ;) - does anyone have a source for hat mannequins?

I :manyheart to crochet!

Very cool. I love the red one! That purple flower is great. I, too, do almost 99% of the driving, but that's becuase my DH hates driving and I enjoy it.

We have a friend who makes a nearly identical Beret with Brim hat for winter. I instantly pictured her when I saw your hats, gsaundrs. But my personal favorite is your Flowered Cloche. Very cute! (You don't mind the word "cute" for your creation, being a guy and all, do you?)

Carla,

No, I use the word myself. As a matter of fact, when I finished this hat, I said to my wife "Isn't it cute?".

The red hat was delivered yesterday to my 80+ year-old Red Hatter and she LOVED it!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

We have a friend who makes a nearly identical Beret with Brim hat for winter. I instantly pictured her when I saw your hats, gsaundrs. But my personal favorite is your Flowered Cloche. Very cute! (You don't mind the word "cute" for your creation, being a guy and all, do you?)

Great hats. I got a glass head mannequin at Pier 1 for about $10-15. What I like about the glass mannequins is their sturdiness. They don't tip over with weight on them like the styrofoam ones do. You can see pictures of it here.

Cheryl,

Thanks for the note on the glass head. I picked up a styrofoam head at Sally Beauty Supply for $3.59 + tax. It is kind of "tippy". I could add weight to the base - it would be a simple process (I think), but the glass one sounds more durable, too.

I'll take a look at the local Pier 1 (and Cost Plus World Market) stores.

Great hats. I got a glass head mannequin at Pier 1 for about $10-15. What I like about the glass mannequins is their sturdiness. They don't tip over with weight on them like the styrofoam ones do. You can see pictures of it here.

Those hats are really nice, Gene. I love the red one even though I'm not a "red-hatter" myself. I know what you mean about the brim on the cap. I tried one of those once and was never able to get it to look right. Let me know if you develop one that works!

I've been trying to make a few hats for a friend... and I've been failing miserably - LOL. Your cute hats have inspired me to keep trying :) Thanks for sharing.

I rather enjoyed seeing the hats perched atop the Quaker Oats boxes . . . I especially like the Red Hat with purple flower. I think I'll try one of those sometime soon. Our church is starting a Red Hat group and I'll be needing a new hat! Great job!!

Joybelle

Archived