Yarn shop rudeness

lizzy

Last week on a Saturday I finally had time to stop at a yarn shop (Knit one Purl two in Granada Hills, CA)that is in my neighbor, it looked really cute from the window. Well everything was fine when I walked in until I had picked some yarn out to crochet a purse and was asking about the felting instructions and I mention that I was going to crochet the purse, the young man that was running the store took the yarn out of my hands and put it back on the shelf and turned away from me and went and sat down and continued to knit whatever he was knitting. So needless to say I left empty handed and very insulted. I have been in several knit shops and everytime I mention I crochet I get this look of horror. LIke how could you do such a horrible thing. I am so tired of it. Even the stuff that is on display is all knit and I might find one or two magazines in crochet. Oh the other thing is if you walk in with a pattern you purchase from the internet that is crochet I have been told by these knitters that is a big NO NO....

Anyways sorry to vent, but what happen to good customer service. :yay

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never heard of a store owner not wanting a sale. I have been in many specialty yarn shops and I do mention that I crochet and they have been very nice to me even though you can tell that most of the projects hanging on the walls were knitted. We talk about different projects and I have never had a problem.

If I did and someone was rude to me like that person was to you, I would never go back to that store again

i would have shot him with pepper spray

threw the cash on the counter and then took my yarn LOL

ok that would just happen in my brain :P

Ive gotten some rude ppl like that too..

i wonder how they stay in businness!

I just never had any idea the snootiness of some of the knitting community. But after seeing a couple of blogs here and there...I am just appalled at the way they look down their nose at crochet. And all that snooty looking yarn - LOL> It's really repulsive to me that they think they are superior.

Why don't you call the owner and tell them what happened? That is simply unacceptable customer service, it doesn't matter if you said you were going to use it to line your bird cage, a sale is a sale. I mean, for crying out loud, I have seen some ***** knitted stuff so do they have to approve of your project and knitting skills too? To grab it out of your hand and put it back on the shelf is just unbelievable. Did you say anything? I didn't know even there was a LYS in Granada Hills.

Wow that is so rude! I agree with Monael, you should call or write a letter. The owner might be appalled. At my favorite LYS, they are very helpful, and sell crochet hooks *and* knitting needles, so they are friendly to either craft. They have happily helped me w/ an online pattern too, so that store sounds too snooty for it's own good! Humph! Sorry you had to experience such 'snoot' :(

I just never had any idea the snootiness of some of the knitting community. But after seeing a couple of blogs here and there...I am just appalled at the way they look down their nose at crochet. And all that snooty looking yarn - LOL> It's really repulsive to me that they think they are superior.

I crochet and knit. I have great respect for anyone who can do both. If a shop owner did that to me, I would never go back ... even though I can do both.

OK there's a woman here in cinci you might as well calll her the knitting nazi!! Here's a quote: once i started knitting I NEVER looked back, crochet just doesn't lay right, don't ask me to help you with it , its just not what I'm into anymore. The sweaters never fit right. I know I should be nice to crochet people because crochet uses up twice as much yarn but I JUST DONT CARE and I don't want to deal with them.

My boyfriend just stood there like--are you for real??

The other store the owner is obviously just ignorant and is at a loss for words on crochet although her store is full of all this lacework knitting which looks like crochet--the older women sittting around all know crochet and use it for fab finishing techniques.

I made a killer crochet sweater with post stiches in homespun ranch which I plan to borrow and wear next time I go shopping just to nip insults in the smirk.

Hey, Remclave - I certianly meant NO offense at all to knitters :). I have great respect for those of you that can do both, too. I said "some of the knitting community" that are snoots. LOL I like that word Kellyrox...

I was just naive - I didn't know that some knitters felt that way about crochet

Last week on a Saturday I finally had time to stop at a yarn shop (Knit one Purl two in Granada Hills, CA)that is in my neighbor, it looked really cute from the window.

I know exactly the store you are talking about! They are just plain rude to everyone. I have been there a couple of times never even mentioned crocheting and they were just rude unkind people. I vowed never to go back.

im sorry that happend to you.

My hubby and i drove about an hour to a small town to look around i found a yarn store, and told the lady i did crochet...she said oh this yarn is for knitting...

haha i thought it was total bull

is there really a difference between knitting and crocheting yarn?

Why is crocheting such a taboo word in a knitting store? We do use more yarn in general than knitting so it would be a good thing to help crocheters purchase yarn. That guy was just rude.

There's a LYS in my city that I haven't been back to since my hooks were slammed on the counter as I was purchasing them. It was like I was annoying the owner and her helper. So I have not been back. I did write a letter explaining why.

But people still flock there. I won't go and I don't care. My $4 purchase that day could have lead to a bigger purchase in a week or so when I got paid.

So I stick to Hobby Lobby, Michael's and JoAnn's. It may not be the $38 skein yarn, but that's alright with me.

Stay out of that store.

:manyheart

I must say...Knitters who don't crochet are missing out on the BEAUTIFUL things that crochet can add to life. Ok, now I feel better. I believe (if it has a coffee shop atmosphere where you can sit and ...um...knit), that I would go in, purchase some yarn and sit my happy self down and crochet.

(BTW I am a begenning knitter, so I'm not trying to upset any knitters, I do like to knit, I just get most of my enjoyment from crocheting :D

Some people are just plain idiots :loser:reyes What the heck diff does it make to them what you do with their yarn which by the way isn't theirs anymore after you've paid for it. It's not like a pet which you'd obviously be choosy about who bought them. Good grief it's yarn it doesn't feel pain it doesn't care what you do with it :think and yeh I've seen some really gorgeous crochet & some really ugly knitting. All discrimination really makes me ill but this is just childish :think

Lizzy you really should send an email or letter and complain about how rude this person was to you and let them know you plan to tell everyone you know that crochets and knitts not to shop in that store. Leticia which town did you go to in NC? I want to visit a shop in Southern Pines Bella Filati Luxury Yarns I did not know they had a yarn shop I have known about and visited Southern Pines for years. I plan to visit Stitch Point in Greensboro soon.

what if the rude guy was the owner?

I wonder - if you bought your $$$ yarn somewhere else, mailed it to the rude guy with a note saying this is the sale you lost because of your poor attidue, would you get in trouble for doing it (harrassment, maybe?)... hmmm... sure would feel good though :-)

Leticia which town did you go to in NC? I want to visit a shop in Southern Pines Bella Filati Luxury Yarns I did not know they had a yarn shop I have known about and visited Southern Pines for years. I plan to visit Stitch Point in Greensboro soon.

I went to New Bern, about an hour out of jacksonville. The lady was nice to me but it was wierd to be told that knitting yarn is different from crochet yarn....i'm very new to NC so i have no clue of places you mentioned other than Greenboro and i know it's pretty far from me about a 4 hour drive.

Well, thanks for the warning Leticia. I'm from Beaufort, just east of New Bern and I think I know where you mean. I won't go there when I get home, trust me. If you want friendly help (not a lot of selection, but wonderful ladies) and are going to Atlantic Beach, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go! OH, and they're knitters, who have great respect for crocheters.

I had that problem here in Texas too. We only have 1 yarn store that is owned by the rudest lady! Her employees are nice, but if you have to go in there when she is there watch out!! :eek She is a knitter, so when I went there for her free nights to work on projects she was very rude to me. The others there can't really help you because they are all knitting, so I finally left and never went back. Too bad, because I might have taken a knitting class if I would have felt welcome there. I'm amazed that this lady is still in business. I sure miss Super Yarn Mart!!!! In California I went there all of the time, and now I have no where to go to crochet with other people. Sad!!! :(

Well, thanks for the warning Leticia. I'm from Beaufort, just east of New Bern and I think I know where you mean. I won't go there when I get home, trust me. If you want friendly help (not a lot of selection, but wonderful ladies) and are going to Atlantic Beach, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go! OH, and they're knitters, who have great respect for crocheters.

Oh i would love to know where there is a shop, the lady in new bern wasn't rude, she was nice BUT the comment was a bit off...lol

her shop was right in front and to the right of the mansion, lots of pretty colors

I went to New Bern, about an hour out of jacksonville. The lady was nice to me but it was wierd to be told that knitting yarn is different from crochet yarn....i'm very new to NC so i have no clue of places you mentioned other than Greenboro and i know it's pretty far from me about a 4 hour drive.

One thing my knitting/crochet group talks about is the stretch of the yarn. Maybe knitters need more stretch? I don't know. Being a crocheter, sometimes a lady in our group gives me a yarn that she picked up and then discovered it didn't stretch enough. Maybe that is the diff between knitting yarns and crochet.

Just thinking outloud.

:manyheart

Some people are just plain idiots :loser:reyes What the heck diff does it make to them what you do with their yarn which by the way isn't theirs anymore after you've paid for it. It's not like a pet which you'd obviously be choosy about who bought them. :think

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That's too funny. by the way - what is the most expensive skein of yarn you have seen? I don't even know if there are any specialty yarn shops around me, but if I ever seen one I will know to just keep right on going

Archived