Yarn shop rudeness

lizzy

Well, thanks for the warning Leticia. I'm from Beaufort, just east of New Bern and I think I know where you mean. I won't go there when I get home, trust me. If you want friendly help (not a lot of selection, but wonderful ladies) and are going to Atlantic Beach, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go! OH, and they're knitters, who have great respect for crocheters.

Hey Kathy!

I'm actually in Apex - but my parents are in Beaufort. Mom works in the schools there and my dad's a retired minister. I'd love to know where the LYS are there (besides the Wal-mart in Morehead). We'll be heading that way again when my son is tracked out again in March (he's in year-round school). I need to get my annual haircut at Vivian's shop - wouldn't mind picking up some yarn too!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiggerhale and happytee40, we just had a nice yarn shop open up in Hillsborough. The lady there is really nice and attended a meeting of the Knit and Crochet Club that I belong to. She seemed very interested in the crochet that I've done in the last year.

It's the Hillsborough Yarn Shop, located in Downtown Hillsborough on Churton St. between Margeret and King across from the courthouse if either of you are interested.

Oh My GOSH!!! Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper!!! I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut on him!!! Yea, crocheting may be thicker,,,but it is warmer!!!!

what if the rude guy was the owner?

I wonder - if you bought your $$$ yarn somewhere else, mailed it to the rude guy with a note saying this is the sale you lost because of your poor attidue, would you get in trouble for doing it (harrassment, maybe?)... hmmm... sure would feel good though :-)

I think mailing a photocopy of a receipt from the competition would be fairly innocent, and kind of fun!

To this day, I have never set foot in a small yarn shop, not because I'm afraid I'll get the same treatment, but I'm afraid of what might come out of MY mouth in retaliation... LOL!

Though a friend of mine who knits AND crochets just became a partner in a small shop in Caledonia, NY... I think if I was going to go to a LYS, it would be hers. ;)

Rudeness: I will not step inside the local Hancock Fabrics because the woman who works there -- and may even be the manager -- is invariably rude. She appears not to want me to buy anything, and seems to bear so much malevolence toward customers that I've always been surprised she still works there. Once in a while, I'll peer in the window to see if she's gone so I can peruse their yarn sales. But it's going on three years . . .

Knitting vs. Crocheting: As other have pointed out, there is both ugly and beautiful knitting and crochet But the bottom line is that of the two, knitting can be done by a machine and crocheting cannot.

Tiggerhale and happytee40, we just had a nice yarn shop open up in Hillsborough. The lady there is really nice and attended a meeting of the Knit and Crochet Club that I belong to. She seemed very interested in the crochet that I've done in the last year.

It's the Hillsborough Yarn Shop, located in Downtown Hillsborough on Churton St. between Margeret and King across from the courthouse if either of you are interested.

Ooooooooh! Thanks Ilene! I'll have to see if I can get DH to stop next time we head up to central VA to visit my relatives!

Absolutely uncalled for...and I'm sorry, unless a "knitter - only" person can convince me why certain yarns should only be used for knitting, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS YARN USED ONLY FOR KNITTING AND YARN USED ONLY FOR CROCHETING...

What you've experienced is out and out snobbery and nothing more. You have been discrimminated against and quite frankly I like the suggestion of writing a letter to the editor of your local paper.

It's getting to the point where I'd actually like to see a picket sign protest outside the rudest shops mentions for just an hour...followed up with a flyer explaining the facts about crocheting for the knitting snobs of the world. Now understand, I knit as well as crochet, I prefer to crochet, but I like to knit as well, so what I'm talking about are those knitters out there that have a very closed mind about what they do.

I'd send some letters to some knitting magazine editors as well. I'd contact the Knitting Guild of America, as well as the Yarn Council...because this just keeps going on and on and I simply do not understand it. I've never encountered such crap as I've been reading about over the last year...it just seems to me that the knitters seem to be threatened by the recent popularity of crocheting and it's just utterly ridiculous. Seriously. Would they say the same about weaving? Gimme a break.

Honestly, if I have to put up with attitude to get some yarn, ordering from the internet is looking better every day.

I stopped going to the yarn shop next door, not because the owner hated crochet (she doesn't, but her preference and what makes money in her shop is knitting) but simply because she stopped treating me like a valuable customer and took me for granted and thought she could get away with being rude to me and I was one of her BEST customers. I haven't been in her shop for over 4 years now.

Regarding the other post where the crocheter-turned-full time knitter said that she just didn't want to deal with crocheting or crocheters, how short-sighted of her. It's fine that she has a preference, even if that preference is to go full time knitting...but she doesn't have to be rude about it...how about simply referring that person to a crocheter who is qualified to assist someone.

I simply do not understand why it's acceptable to be rude in business...it was never acceptable when I worked (although it seemed like it when I was on the other side of the counter) and I've got the reprimands and the fired jobs to prove it.

And it doesn't help anything, but man, I'd love to see a yarn shop that had the brass ones to say, "For Crocheters ONLY!" And turn away a full time knitter with comments like, "Sorry, this is really for crocheting..." It wouldn't be right, deliberate tit for tat isn't right, but I love to see the same snobby knitters get their comeuppance...

I think in the long run though is that we, as crocheters have to just keep doing what we do, crochet, and do the best we can do with our crochet and eventually win over the detractors. It might take a long time, but I think we can win some knitters over to at least appreciate the craft. They don't have to do it.

You know, I sew, but I don't make quilts, which is still one of the most popular sewing crafts out there right now. It's frustrating for me to go to what is suppose to be a fabric store and it's really just a quilting store, meaning that almost all the fabric is 100% cotton for express purpose of patchwork and quilting...however, I can appreciate the craft and I would never tell a quilter that what he or she is doing isn't of value and that's it's not "real" sewing...

I can't imagine a shop owner or manager of a fabric store of any kind turning away someone who wants to buy 100% cotton simply because they weren't going to make a quilt with it.

There's all kinds of discrimmination in the world. We tend to think of discrimmination in terms of color, race or religion, but as you can see, it's getting down to choice of crafts one does...and it's just stupid.

My former co-workers and I 'taught' the ladies at Coastal Crafts Plus in Atlantic Beach, NC about crochet. During the 'off-season' at work we all were learning to crochet and were delighted to find out that they carried 'a bit' of yarn. The owner knit, her daughter didn't do either, but they were DELIGHTED to help us, and evey will special order yarn if their supplier can get it.

Then mom taught her daughter to knit, offeres knitting class in the winter, and sells things they've knit. I wish I was still down there, I was going to take knitting classes and teach them crochet just when my son got hurt and I had to move to NJ.

Ladies: Its time to build on and define the "brand" that is crochet and all the associations that go with chrochet that are different than knitting. Such as:

vintage and retro, deco kitchen, victorian baby, contemporary funky baby, feminine, shabby chic, New Orleans "trashy diva" chic, antique store decorating. You start to realize that chrochet is more socially and culturally broad--AND COOL. When you go in a Lucky Jeans and every accessory item is crocheted and kids are loving it, then you know. Very groovy long scarves of single grannys chained together in black, great with a white tee shirt and jean jacket. Seeing lots of crchet flowers at the art shows too.

When I go to the yarn nazi's store I see boxy women in boxy garments wearing boring shoes (sensible shoes do not have to be boring--add a chochet flower). Everythings MUTED, hushed -- reverent. The garments look like BAGS. Its the yarn not the knitting, that's interesting.

I say trend wise knitting is running its course. Let's be there for the take-over. Maybe we need to be submiting patterns to the yarn manufacturers?

PS I made a great nylon cord bag, ala WWII when they were big, and nylon cord does not stretch AT ALL!!

One great way to handle the situation described in the original post would have been to confront the guy who took the yarn away to find out why he did that (maybe he misunderstood), and then to let him know that you will be posting a negative review of his store on Knitter's Review and several other on-line knitting forums, where it is likely that his current and potential future customers will see it!

I just would not stand for that kind of behavior. What you are doing with the yarn should not matter to the store at all! Even if you plan to use it to decorate a toilet, who cares. The store is there to provide a product and service and if they want to stay in business and turn a profit they need to change their attitude.

Absolutely uncalled for...and I'm sorry, unless a "knitter - only" person can convince me why certain yarns should only be used for knitting, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS YARN USED ONLY FOR KNITTING AND YARN USED ONLY FOR CROCHETING...

What you've experienced is out and out snobbery and nothing more. You have been discrimminated against and quite frankly I like the suggestion of writing a letter to the editor of your local paper.

It's getting to the point where I'd actually like to see a picket sign protest outside the rudest shops mentions for just an hour...followed up with a flyer explaining the facts about crocheting for the knitting snobs of the world. ..

I think some yarn on the label is marked "knitting yarn" to differentiate it from weaving yarn, and not from cochet. You can crochet with anything: strips from bedsheets, pantyhose, leather cord, hemp, beading wire, and not just yarn.

I don't know if protests would further the divide between crocheters and the snob variety of knitters. Perhaps they are just ignorant. Maybe we should wear our most fabulous crochet garments to their stores so their jaws drop. The flyers sound like a good idea. We should do something like this for crochet week, March 16-22.

Sounds like maybe his sat on his knitting needle and it was still stuck up his butt!!:yes

what a stupid thing to be a snob about!!! I mean really that is so incredibly stupid that I can't even believe that people behave that way, they must have no lives and very little friends!! Can you imagine all those snobs sitting around sour faced hating crochet.........I am laughing just thinking about it!!!

I wouldn't waste another thought on those jerks or their yarn......I prefer the bigger stores or ebay......they don't care what you buy or what you are going to do with it!!!

I moved way out in country. I'm close to 10 miles from town and Walmart is 20 miles 'down the road apiece'.

Stupid me walked into the 'quilting store'. I looked around, especially at the quilts that were hanging on the walls AND the $8.99 price tags on the $2/yd bolts that Walmart also carried.

It wasn't long before a very handsome older woman approached me (in jeans and combat boot) and wanted to know if she could help me. I said "Yes, I was hoping to find some yarn." She was HORRIFIED!!!!! She told me "You won't find any yarn in here! We do quilting and Cross-stitch." After a very short and polite conversation I excused myself with "I was really hoping to save a trip to Walmart but since you don't have anything I'd be interested in - it's time to go shopping!"

Of course - the crowd of little old ladies behind her probably gossipped about me for weeks. LOL - No thank you - they can keep their noses up in the air and eat their sprout sandwitches from their little cafe without me.

Wallyworld here I come!

Isn't is sad that some many people have been mistreated for such a beautiful craft. I did a paper on the history of crochet in college and my instructor was so impressed she deceided to take up the craft. I thought at first it was me and maybe I offended the guy. There is one great yarn shop in my area in Chatsworth CA called The Happy Hooker, the owner Linda is awesome and so are her employees, her store might be messy and a little dirty but she is a genius at helping you with any pattern on knitting and crocheting and only charges 10.00 for a lesson if you go there on Thrusdays nites.

:cheerLet me start off by sayng, I am a knitter from way back.

:think You need to go back to that store and remind the person beind the counter, that the power of "Word of Mouth" is VERY strong and a disatisfied customer tells lots of people when they get such shocking service.

I think this person is just a RUDE person, not because he is a knitter but because he is just RUDE and his mother did not teach him any manners.

Find out who the owner of the store is and let them now because they may not realise they are being put out of business by such a "One eyed" assistant.

If he is the owner, he will not get far treating customers like that.

A sale is a sale is a sale.

An unhappy customer is going to tell the world as you have done here. (I am in NZ and will not be shopping in his store if ever I get to the US)

Maybe your next step could be a Letter to the Editor of your local Newspaper, mentioning the location of the store, even if you cant actually name it.

That would un-ravel his knitting.

:hook The other thing you can do is get a very large group of keen Crocheters together and go into the store en-mass, browse for a long time, talk crochet very loudly then leave without buying anything.

:think Maybe not such a good idea because that may reinforce his dislike for people who crochet.

:hook Have a rally outside the store with placards saying "Unfair to Crocheters"

:clap A crocheting "Sit In" outside the store.

:hook Remember Internet Shopping.

Well this is just a few ideas, good and bad but I hope you have some comfort from knowing that not all people who knit are nasty.

I once owned a Wool Shop and there is NO WAY I would have ever turned down a customer with yarn and cash in hand.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS I would join your sit in if it was not such a long way from my place to yours.

. . . . get a very large group of keen Crocheters together and go into the store en-mass, browse for a long time, talk crochet very loudly then leave without buying anything.

I LIKE it!!!!

I have run across this in Joann's. There was a woman there, trying to decide if she wanted fun fur or not. Another woman came up and said if you use that you must use large needles as you have trouble seeing the stitches.

The original woman said " Oh I was going to use it to crochet a scarf for a friend".

Woman #2 said then you don't want to use that it is to good to use in crochet.

Couldn't help myself, I popped in and told Woman #1 she would be better off with Bernat Boa with a matching ww yarn, or Patons twister. They don't shed like the fun fur and are easier to crocht with and look nicer.

Woman #2 says, you are wasting that good yarn by crocheting.

Open mouth now: I said well, the stores like us crocheters better, as we buy more yarn and we are a more cheerful lot. Then I walked away.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I ran into woman #1 further in the store and she was still laughing and she told her friend what I said. I told her I knit and crochet, and I can't stand snobs.:hook

:angry:rant Ooooooo that really steams me!!!!

I agree with the letter to the editor suggestion!!!!

I have not encountered this particular prejudice - but in other things like fly fishing (which my dh & I enjoy together) vs spin fishing there are bias' on both sides there which we stay out of - we say - fishin' is fishin' and that fact doesn't change!

I am involved in a craft night amongst friends and we never have a thing to say about who is doing what -- it's craftin' right???? Some crochet - some knit - some do hardanger - some cross stitch - it is all varied and we have mutual respect for each other -

and that is what it comes down to which obviously that man has NONE for his customers - that is worth spreading the word on...

Phew - down off my :soapbox now! LOL

There is NO excuse for rudeness! I'm betting the young man who was so rude was not the owner of the store, but if he was, shame on him! He lost the store business by being a yarn snob. Sorry you were so badly treated.

Karen

Man do I know how you feel. I started out knitting. I never thought that my craft was better than another. Once I picked up a hook I never looked back.

It amazes me that people can be so rude.

Archived