Crocheting Makes You Lose Weight!!

It's true!!!

I've been making things for sale like crazy and so I rush through the chores (15 mins at a time thanks to FlyLady) and make mostly soups and sandwiches for meals and crochet like crazy the rest of the time :lol

So far I have been eating less (because I want to crochet right away) and even though my derriere is either on the bed or couch for hours at a time, I managed to lose 3 lbs (through that time of the month, no less :wink) and since all's I've been wanting to do crochet, my appetite has decreased and...(get this)...I've been able to spend more time with my kids and keep an eye on them while they do their homeschool assignments because I crochet in between their needing "help" :lol

Although it gets crazy sometimes when all 4 kids clamor for attention while the 2 younger ones try to climb in my lap for snuggle-time marathons. At that point I just give up trying to crochet, put my hooks and projects away, give my children what they need and try to sneak in some more crochet time later (like when they're asleep....:lol that's another story)

:clap I have lost 7 lbs. this month. Mostly because I have been working on ufos instead of snacking at night.I cleaned out a corner of my stash and have a large pile be the chair that I am working on.Somethings only need to be seamed others have lots of work left to do and more in between.

:eek Would this be a fad diet? Whatever works!

I never noticed before but it is true my hands are busy crocheting instead of eating :) that is a good thing :yes now for 100 pounds to go! Dang that will be alot of crocheting that is a good thing:yes

Yeah, at this rate I would be losing 25 lbs by my SIL's wedding in w/c I am a bridesmatron :lol, too bad I already bought the dress, I am being told not to lose weight until after the wedding so I can save $$ in alterations :lol

I did Weight Watchers about 4 years ago and our leader told us to find something to keep our hands busy and we would be less likely to snack at nighttime. She mentioned knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc. as good examples.

Of course, 4 years (and 23 pounds) later, I've learned how to watch tv, crochet, do laundry, throw dinner in the crockpot and snack all at the same time!!!!

hey, I must be losing weight like crazy. I have really , I am Diabetic. and had to be a high protien dite.

Attakins shakes and brownies. Yummy. I have lost around 60 pounds

I do strengteing excerises too.

I also knit and crochet both. So, it doubles the weight lost.:clap:lol

I think it helps keeps us going too. :yes

I am glad you are losing weight too and that you are spending more times with the kids.

I hope you get all you crocheting done in time.:yes:hug

Trying to stop my snacking is what made me teach myself to knit and crochet!! 5 years later and I have definately seen a correlation between the weeks when I'm fixated on finishing something and the scale...I guess I just have to start more projects, in order to always have SOMETHING to finish LOL!!!

Jessie

Whatever takes your mind off mindless munching is good. Crochet is a stress-buster, and stress is a great cause of munching, so in an indirect way, crocheting does help you lose weight. (Greta exercise for the hands, too... not that it would ever count as a targeted exercise or sg!)

I never really thought about this, but I really like the thought of it! I'm supposed to be the maid-of-honor for a wedding at the beginning of April and I'd like to lose a little weight for it. I guess I just need to get a few more projects going (I'm almost finished with the one I'm doing now) and make myself think they are on a deadline so I do it more often!

Well, this is an idea. It is true, I don't snack when I crochet...but I do snack when I am in front of the computer, so I guess it is a win-lose??? :think

I read an article in a magazine about a lady who took up knitting to lose weight. She was a flight attendant and at the time the international flights were empty, but she had to go there to fly back, and so she ate on the long empty flights. After putting on a few pounds, she took up knitting to keep her hands busy. She lost the weight and after making afghans for friends and family started making them for charity.

Crocheting helped me quit smoking, and without gaining weight. Crochet more or less replaced smoking as my nerve-calming habit. when I'm waiting for the bus, or have other down-times when I would normally pull out a cigarette, I pull a hat project out of my purse. And I tend to snack less during the evenings because I don't want to get food traces on my projects.

Hurray for crochet!

ya know. i was just thinking this the other day. MY PANTS ARE A LITTLE LOOSE! :cheer and that is even AFTER they have been taken out of the dryer.:lol

my problem is that i am a late night eater probably because i am a nite owl. since i have started crocheting i am to busy trying to search for my next project on the web or working on one that i already have started. oh yes and of course looking at all the new post on the 'ville ;) .

my mom has been trying to get me to lose weight for years but she wants me to quit crocheting aka "wasting my time". she doesn't believe that crocheting can help you lose weight by keeping you from unnecessary snacking... :no

I am diabetic, diet controlled for now, and my big thing is that if my hands are occupied I do not snack. So hands are busy if I am not sleeping and I have lost 35 pounds in 3 months so something must be going right. I do know that my doctor reminded me that if i crochet above my heart level and can get my heart rate up it really will burn calories and would be considered cardio. So I say crochet away and burn those calories while sitting on my behind.

Chrissy:clap

I am diabetic, diet controlled for now, and my big thing is that if my hands are occupied I do not snack. So hands are busy if I am not sleeping and I have lost 35 pounds in 3 months so something must be going right. I do know that my doctor reminded me that if i crochet above my heart level and can get my heart rate up it really will burn calories and would be considered cardio. So I say crochet away and burn those calories while sitting on my behind.

Chrissy:clap

WOW! :cheer congrats on the weight lost! You deserve a nice big skein of yarn ;) !!! I wonder though, how fast do you have to be crocheting to get your heart rate up :think . does the doctor think you are going to be crocheting for the Olympics :lol ?

my mom has been trying to get me to lose weight for years but she wants me to quit crocheting aka "wasting my time". she doesn't believe that crocheting can help you lose weight by keeping you from unnecessary snacking... :no

:hug

I'm sorry your mom is like that. But WE know and YOU know that crochet is good for you - we wouldn't have so many people saying the same thing if it wasn't true. So just let what she says to you go in one ear and out the other. It's hard, I know (my grandmother was like your mom), but try... ok?:hug

I've also found it's good for mental health as well as physical health (meaning the less snacking thing). When I make something pretty, it just makes me FEEL good. Not to mention the sense of accomplishment you get when you finish a project! You know... "I DID THAT!!":cheer :clap

And all the compliments people give you when you post something on here doesn't hurt any either. ;)

I agree, instead of reching for a snack, I reach for my latest project.....then when I get totally involved in that, I usually lose the urge to snack......nice to know crocheting can be healthy!:hook

I found that when my hands get tired of crocheting ( I think I crochet too fast because I want to get it done), then I snack... :cry .. .

I also try to crochet below my heart, near my waist, as I figure it's like typing, you want your hands lower then your elbows, but not sure... it seems to work for me...

I guess that's why I didn't gain weight last year. Around mid September last year I got sick so I stayed home most of the time. When I was awake I would crochet my heart out. Surprisingly, without exercising and eating way too much I didn't gain weight. I even managed to crochet Christmas gifts for 5 young nephew and nieces, 2 cousins, joined the Holiday swap, and made other things for my roommate.

Now I know crocheting can make the heart rate going up, which is good for the heart => yay for croshay :D

Archived