Snow Suit with patterns- image intensive

darski

I thought this should maybe go here instead of in the Doll CAL as I have done Foto Friday already this week.

Here is a fabulous new snowsuit. You may be thinking that colour blocking is passe... not a chance :wlol
I also added one picture to show that the dog has not been forgotten.

post-4896-0-11218100-1360796350_thumb.jpg

post-4896-0-71115700-1360796350.jpg

The boots and mittens:
post-4896-0-65504800-1360796351.jpg

post-4896-0-18464000-1360796352.jpg

The dog's coat really matches the original poncho and hat but it does match the boots... sort of :wlol
post-4896-0-70334000-1360796352.jpg

the pattern is here for hat mitts and scarf http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=607622&postcount=15

post-4896-0-30285500-1360796353_thumb.jpg

the pattern is here for the Jacket and Snowpants:
http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=608305&postcount=25

Dora’s Snowsuit Ensemble extras :pinterest

post-4896-0-41783000-1360796582.jpg

The set consists of:
Scarf
Hat
Mittens
~Snow pants (separate file)
~Jacket (separate file)
~Boots (separate file) these will come later. :hook

We will do the easy ones first.

One word of warning… I tend to write patterns as a way of creating the items rather than as a row by row or stitch by stitch instruction.

Materials: small amounts of 4 different colours of WW yarn. I used Black, White, Rose, Emerald

Hook: varies from a 5mm up to a 6.5mm depends on what works for you.

Gauge: isn’t vital; does it fit if you do it this way?… there Yah go

Tapestry needles

Scarf: leave reasonable tails so that you can tie them off
With white: chain 44. Break off – leave tail.
Join rose and sc in each ch. Break off – leave tail.
Join emerald and sc in each st across. Break off – leave tail.

Tie the three yarn tails together on both ends and trim to match.

Mittens: worked in white with colours as trim.

Chain 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across
Row 2: Turn, sc in each sc across TBL only
Continue to form ribbing (row 2) until wide enough to form cuff or for 16 rows as needed and join using a sc join. Do not break off

Working along the top of the ribbing, sc in every ribbing row end. Do not join, you will continue to work in spiral for about 3 rows.
Begin to decrease by *3 sc, sc 2tog* around.
Finish decrease by sc 2tog for all stitches until mitten is complete and 3 sts remain. Break off leaving a tail to gather remaining sts. Push thread to inside to gather sts, finish and weave in ends

When you have both mittens complete, thread about 8 inches of the other three colours into a large tapestry needle to form decorative knots. Run the needle through a stitch that is about in the centre of the mitten’s upper side. Tie and knot and break off. Be sure ends of knot are even.

Hat: uses all colours.

You can organize your colours in any order that works for you. In addition, I work my HDC between the stitches because I like that look.
My hat has:
3 rows of white
2 rows of rose
1 white row
1 black row
1 white row
2 emerald
3 rows of white

Chain 3, work 9 dc into first chain, join with a slst

Row 2: Ch 3, (counts as dc throughout) work 2 dc in every st around. Join

Row 3: Ch 3, *2dc in next dc, 1 dc ion next dc* join and break off

Row 4: Join another colour. Ch 3, hdc in same chain, *hdc in next 2 dc, 2dc in next dc* join

Rows 5 to 11: hdc in every stitch around. (Between every stitch if you choose) Change colours as you see fit in these and the last two rows.

Row 12: Dc in each dc join and turn

Row 13: E-dc in every stitch around.

E-dc is extended double crochet. Prepare your double crochet as usual but on the first pull through, pull through one loop only then make your dc as usual

Copyright: Darlene Cutler, Jan. 2007

I can't promise much but if anyone tries these and finds an error, could you let me know

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

Darski, I love it. What are the dimensions of the finished snowsuit? I want to make some clothes for my daughter's Dora, and I'd like to compare my finished sizes to something!

Did you have to do increases for the Dora-belly?

I started the pants by sc over an elastic (1/4inch) base that was enough to go over the widest part of her (thighs) when stretched. I just cut the bit large enough and tied it together.

I was going to post the directions today as they are really quite easy

The pants are about 6.5 inches across at the hip (13.5 inches around)

from waist to hem is 7 inches.

the legs are quite wide at 3.75 inches

crotch depth from stem to stern is 9 inches

the jacket is 6.5 inches at the waist

from shoulder to waist is 4.75 inches

sleeves from shoulder to wrist are 3.5 inches

The Snow Suit :pinterest

post-4896-0-98205200-1360796705_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-50733900-1360796706.jpgpost-4896-0-05622600-1360796707_thumb.jpg

For Snowpants
Use ¼ “ elastic as a waistband. . cut a piece that is long enough to go around Dora’s thighs when stretched. Tie to form waist and snip tails as close as is safely possible.

Small amounts of WW yarn in Black, White, Emerald and Rose. Mine are healthy WW and not fine.
6.mm hook – my gauge is 3 st per inch over 3 inches.

With Black :
Row 1: 40 sc around elastic base and join. this is Centre back
Rows 2- 5: hdc in every hdc. Place marker on 21st hdc – just a reminder for when you get there.
Row 6: 2hdc in 1st hdc, hdc in next 18 hdc, 2hdc in next 2 hdc, hdc in next 18 hdc, 2hdc in last hdc.
Row 7: 2hdc in 1st hdc, hdc in next 20 hdc, 2hdc in next 2 hdc, hdc in next 20 hdc, 2hdc in last hdc.
Row 8: sc in every hdc around and join to first sc, do not break off. Find the sc that is half way around and slst together to form the crotch. Do not break off.

Legs: work first leg in black (continue from torso portion) and work 2nd leg in colours as you wish)
Row 1: hdc dec, hdc around and join
Row 2: hdc around to last two, hdc dec, join.
Rows 3 – 7 hdc around, join
Row 8: work hdc around but work dec about every 4th st.
Row 9: sc around and join. Break off

2nd /Colour block leg: In mine, I started with Emerald for 2 rows. White for 1 row. Rose for 2 rows, white for one row and finished with black.
Weave in ends.

The Jacket
Beginning with Black, chain 40, hdc in 5th ch from hook and across. (the chain at the beginning forms the buttonhole) 36hdc across

I worked 1 more row in black (forming another buttonhole at the 3rd row before changing to white)
and one row in white. Break off here

mark off the 9 stitches at the beginning and end of the 36 hdc – these are the fronts. The middle 18 hdc are the back.

Use colour blocking techniques to form fronts that are 8 rows high. Form shoulders after 6 rows.

I worked the Back in plain black for 8 rows, forming shoulders as needed.

Sew shoulders together

Sleeves:
Attach black in a hdc from row 3 of jacket and work sc around sleeve opening.
Continue working the sleeve in rounds of hdc but use sc for a couple of stitches at the underarm.
Change colours as you wish and begin to reduce sleeve width if necessary. Including the sc row, I had 12 rows for the sleeve.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler, Jan. 2007

Again, let me know if I got something wrong or if it needs more explanation.

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

Archived