Starghan Crochet-Along * Finally edited * Correct Version in Blog *

yarndiva

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started mine last night, and I'm on the ninth row, I think. I love the pattern so much! Mine's curling a bit, but all my work does usually - I make really crazy tight stitches most of the time. However, this isn't too bad of a curl - I'm sure it'll block right out later on, and with it being an afghan, it'll get all rumpled up anyway. ^_^

Mine is for me, and it's a deep red color. It'll be the perfect kitschy thing to add to my bedroom. I love it! As soon as it gets a bit farther on, I'll post a picture.

I don't think the pattern is too tough at all. Good job with editing it to make it as userfriendly as possible!

Mine seems to be taking forever!! I am using baby yarn and an f hook. I was thinking it would be cool if there was a way that you could crochet between the points to join them and then crochet around it! It would look like the star was embedded in the afghan! I was trying to figure out a way but I'm at a loss!

This pattern is so beautiful! :cheer I'd love to make one to match the Twinkle, Twinkle pillows from Crochet me that I made last month...how much yarn does your average sized baby blanket take?

I'd love to join, but have no idea when I would get to it. ;)

Kim,

So far I have only been successful in turning r 2 of the star into a circle. :rofl

I don't know how much yarn this pattern uses since so many of us just stop at the length we want it to be. At Least 2 skeins is my estimate for a baby blanket.

Hey everyone! I decided to join this CAL! After starting over multiple times I have a question...I'm on round 4 (Ch 3, dc each over next 3 dc’s, {shell in ch 2 sp, dc in next 4 dc’s, sk next 2 dc’s, dc in next 4 dc’s}. Repeat { } around. Repeat * of Round 3) Ok, so where it says to sk next 2 dc's, am I actually skipping 1 dc and 1 sc? Cause if I sk 1 dc, 1 sc and then another dc (like in the previous round) then I'm short 1 dc. Does that make sense? I've ripped this out and started over a few times but I keep coming out with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! I decided to join this CAL! After starting over multiple times I have a question...I'm on round 4 (Ch 3, dc each over next 3 dc’s, {shell in ch 2 sp, dc in next 4 dc’s, sk next 2 dc’s, dc in next 4 dc’s}. Repeat { } around. Repeat * of Round 3) Ok, so where it says to sk next 2 dc's, am I actually skipping 1 dc and 1 sc? Cause if I sk 1 dc, 1 sc and then another dc (like in the previous round) then I'm short 1 dc. Does that make sense? I've ripped this out and started over a few times but I keep coming out with the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm not looking at my pattern at the moment, and am only going from memory. But what I remember doing in that round is actually skipping the last DC in the downside from the shell, skipping the SC, and then skipping the first DC going UP towards the next shell. At least, that's what I do to get an even number of DCs on both sides of the points. In the rounds after that, I just skip the last DC/First DC in the "valley" of the points (because there isn't a SC there to worry about.)

Clear as mud?

I think you may be coming up short because of a problem we discussed earlier...when you make your corner, do 3 DC, ch 2, then 3 DC, and you'll have to push the last group of three up in order to do the first DC on that side. The corner covers the first loop to do the first side DC.

I hope that helps!

Thanks ladies! I think I was just thinking too hard, LOL! Jen, your right, I don't know what I was thinking, my stitches were coming out perfect, I think I was just nervous! I had read the pattern several times before starting and I even read most of the posts here so I knew to push my shells over but I think I was just scared I wasn't going to understand the pattern! Anyway, here is a pic up to and including round 4! Not much, but I'm super excited! Thanks for such a pretty pattern Beth!

Sorry, the pics kinda hard to see with the variegated yarn. But it look great so far!

381658843_1d4d3b5ee4_o.jpg

Jeanie: OOh, that's a lovely variegated. Can't wait to see it giant-sized :lol

Sandhya: Welcome to the CAL!! Please post your starghan as soon as you are done with it :hug

Happy stitcher & Jen: Thanks for helping Jeanie out! Keep on stitchin'!!

I would do about 3-4' diameter with a baby blanket. It's better to err on the bigger side, esp on afghans...my DS still tugs his 4' blankie around with his thumb in his mouth like Linus. Can't sleep without it...freaks out when I wash it and he knows how to open the dryer if by chance I did wash it but forget to give it to him :rofl the little turkey :cturkey

I've been following this cal and I just bought some yarn for it. It's for my oldest brothers 1st grandchild, a girl. She's also the only one named after my mom (her ggd). The colors are Red Heart Giant baby mint, baby yellow, and aran. I wanted to use colors that my niece can use again if she had another baby boy or girl. I hope it'll work up fast. My brother is back home on the Island for another week. Then he'll go back to Georgia where he lives.

Pat Ada

Has anyone tried making one with two strands of ww? I am working on a version of the starghan using Beth's pattern, but I messed up somewhere and need to frog it. I was thinking about starting over (Using Yarndiva's pattern) but using two strands and maybe an N hook. Thoughts?

Jen,

That sounds about right, try making 6 or 7 rounds with it to see how comfortable it is for you!!

I am just curious if the N hook will make it too loose or "holey." When I used an H and one strand of cotton, it was a bit lose. TIA!

I am just curious if the N hook will make it too loose or "holey." When I used an H and one strand of cotton, it was a bit lose. TIA!

I usually use a K or even a J with two strands. It just depends on how bulky your yarn is and how tight you want your stitches. You'll just have to look at it and see if you like the look. It's really just a matter of personal preference. ;)

This is such a pretty blanket. Is it to late to get started in this CAL? I printed up the pattern and I'm going to get my yarn for it this weekand.

Theresa

Hop on in Theresa!! :cheer

This blanket can be done in one or two days if you want it baby-sized or a few weeks if you want an adult-sized one.

Yell if you need any help!!

Jen: I usually do good with a J hook when I do 2 strands of WW...but I'm a tight crocheter and I used a J hook when I made the Adult-Starghan with just one strand of Caron SS (tried to get it bigger without having to use too much yarn :lol

Archived