Starghan Crochet-Along * Finally edited * Correct Version in Blog *

yarndiva

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT: Ankey, this time I really do know what you mean!!! Each round should increase by 2 dc.... Round 5: ch 3, dc in next 5 dc, shell in ch2 space, dc in next 6 dc's........

Round 6: ch 3, dc in next 7 dc, shell in ch2 sp, dc in next 8 dc's....

Ok...y'all check out post #98... please let me know if I'm completely loco!:confused

That's pretty what I thought when I posted (which is why I was so confused)... If that is completely wrong (I'm guessing it is because so many people have used this pattern and not had a problem with this part...) then I'm completely loco with you! :loco Or it might be that I'm just the only one not getting it and I've confused you with my stupidity - if that's the case, I'm very sorry... :blush

With as much time as I spend at the Ville I really don't know how I've gotten so much done. Right now I'm working on 3 ~ 8 point starghans. Don't get me wrong - I think the 5 point star is great! but I didn't care for the way the points were coming out really long on the 8pointers so I've been fiddlin' round.

CAL1-19-0747inches.jpg

Haven't made any progress on this one - trying to decide which colors to use next.

PC200028.jpg

51 inches and counting. Do you guys think I should just repeat the color pattern OR should I do another line of Burgundy and then repeat the colors? I really want to know what you guys think!

PC200029.jpg

A reverse rainbow for my Mom. Her bday is Feb 5 so I have to get to Walmart for more yarn. {Oh, what a tragedy - more yarn:eek ) 30 inches and counting.

I'm starting my first starghan right now. I have a lot of variegated baby yarn so I'm going to be alternating the variegated yarn with white or another solid color. I'll post a pic when I've made substantial progress...

EDIT: I'm stuck on round 5! It's not working out for me...

Round 5: Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc’s, {shell in ch 2 sp, dc in next 5 dc’s, sk next 2 dc’s, dc in next 5 dc’s}. Repeat { } around. Repeat * of Round 3.

For some reason, after I do the 4 dc's I have one more dc left before I reach the ch 2 sp? What am I doing wrong (or is that suppose to happen)? Here's a pic of my 5th round started - I know I have poor photo-taking skills, but I hope you can still see the problem I'm running into... (img should be clickable)

th_crochet067-1.jpg

I actually had the same problem when I first started. I was forgetting to slip stitch in the dc after slip-stitching in the chain 3. Make sure that you're doing that second slip stitch.

When I look at your picture, it looks like that may be the problem. I think you may be skipping that second slip stitch. I hope that helps.

Something that may make it easier to do these is the way that I do Grannies and such motifs.

I begin with a chain 5 that is a "dc", ch2 for a corner space.

work the second half of that corner and go around the motif until you come back to complete the original corner.

You join the last dc to the chain you started with and you are now in position to simply slip stitch into that ch 2 space and begin the next round with that chain 5.

It makes a great join and I find it more secure than joins at other spots in a motif

It's not you at all ankey!:no I just keep realizing things as I go along! Hang in there and let me know how it's going. Rose, all of yours are beautiful!!!:clap I especially love the reverse rainbow, very pretty!:hook

Wow, very lovely starghans gals!!

Sometime this week I am going to update the pattern to include 6, 7 & 8 points. I hope RedRose wouldn't mind my using her picture as an example (with due credit given, of course)

Thanks for all the lovely pics, y'all!

I don't mind but it wouldn't be an accurate pic. I've been tweaking the pattern to try to keep the points even around instead of growing expidentially. If you look at the pic of the blue afghan you can see how the peaks are beginning elongate.

Wow, Rose!!:eek I made a round ripple that turned out huge, but it's just more to snuggle! I promise I'm still working on my star.:yes Once it's a bit bigger, I'll post a pic. Remember, I did frog and start again, and I'm very ADD when it comes to crochet. I hook what I'm in the mood to hook! I haven't done any squares for my vintage 'ghan in weeks. I just lost steam.:( Anywho, I digress....check ya later chicks!

Sometimes stepping away is best, Michelle. If there's anyway I can help, let me know. I'd be glad to help out.:yes:hug

I want to join! I got the pattern today and started this afternoon. I have done quite a few rows and was wondering about something. My starghan seems to be curling inward towards the middle. Did I do something wrong? Does this work itself out as I go along??

Thank you so much in advance!

Blocking will help a little (but I don't like to rely on that alone) but I would suggest going up a hook size and double check your points/corners for the correct number of stitches. when you are handling the stitches in the corners it is easy to crochet more tightly, especially as it gets bigger and bulkier to hold on your lap. I usually crochet more tightly when I first pick up my WIP, then hit a rhythm, relax and loosen up.

Okay. I finally couldn't resist. I couldn't afford to buy the colors I WANTED...so I got out the yarn I had...the (yes) evil Caron SS ... and you know what? With the right size hook, this thing's just FLYING together (and in a good way). I'm using just play Caron SS white... and I started about 6:30pm...it's now 9:00pm and I'm on round 10 and about 8 inches in radius (about 15 inches in diameter). Wow! I'm so pleased. I've even used less than half a skein of yarn...whoopee! I love 1 skein wonders!

CJ

Hey, don't knock-off the Caron SS!! :wink It's great stuff! :lol I made BIL's 6 ft Patriotic Starghan with it...I think I used 12 skeins of alternating red, white and navy and a J hook. It's huuge!!

Hey, don't knock-off the Caron SS!! :wink It's great stuff! :lol I made BIL's 6 ft Patriotic Starghan with it...I think I used 12 skeins of alternating red, white and navy and a J hook. It's huuge!!

Do you have a picture?

Is there a thicker version of SS available? I love the feel, but overall it's too "limp" for me, and I have the hardest time adjusting patterns to compensate. I like the price, the feel, but not the weight. *sigh*

Maybe you can double it and use a K hook?

I may have a photo from my in-law's but tomorrow we will be seeing them and may go to their house, so I will have BIL stretch it out and I will take a picture then, btw, he's 6'5" so I can't wait to take that pic!!

Wow, very lovely starghans gals!!

Sometime this week I am going to update the pattern to include 6, 7 & 8 points. I hope RedRose wouldn't mind my using her picture as an example (with due credit given, of course)

Thanks for all the lovely pics, y'all!

i cant wait to see them i really want a 8points starghan:cheer

I'm with you!! I love Simply Soft!! I'm working on my starghan with it. The main color is white, but I'm using pastels to incorportate a rainbow into the rounds also.

Archived