Starghan Crochet-Along * Finally edited * Correct Version in Blog *

yarndiva

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I used an old white blanket, traced the stars around, cut it, sewed it together except for a few inches, stuffed it, sewed it closed and then sewed the 2 crocheted stars acound it, I think I sc'd together. I don't remember. But a round pillow would work great too!! May be if you can stuff the tips with something?

HTH!!

Actually, I used an old white blanket, traced the stars around, cut it, sewed it together except for a few inches, stuffed it, sewed it closed and then sewed the 2 crocheted stars acound it, I think I sc'd together. I don't remember. But a round pillow would work great too!! May be if you can stuff the tips with something?

HTH!!

Thank you! Can't wait to try it! And I was thinking the same thing about the points!:manyheart

Here's a question for ya Yarndiva. How much yarn does this take? I just got a request from a friend whose 3 yo's BD is very soon. And she wants a 'tinkerbell blanket'...so I'm thinking star shaped, 3-4 colors, maybe 3-4 feet across....gack! :) Help?

It depends on the yarn you use. I made a humungo-giganto one for my BIL who is 6'5" in red, white & blue. Used Caron Simply Soft and I think that ate up 10++ skeins? I don't remember. :think

I suggest you buy more yarn that you need...start with 6 at least. If you bought too much, just return the unused ones for a refund or use the leftovers for more starghans!! :lol

Oh dear. Instructions from the yarndiva to buy more yarn than I might need. Hmm. Oh. Well. Time to rebuild the stash anyway. Like I said...I have 4 skeins of tacky tan, and 2+ skeins of a soft, silky white I just don't care for, and enough bits to make the world's largest scrapghan.... ;) Thanks YD...off to pick colors now!

Well, I never officially joined this CAL, but I couldn't stand it and pulled out my cotton yarn to try a starghan....it's coming along nicely! :D When I get it to the right size, I plan to make one of the points into a hood so that it can be a hooded baby bath towel like I mentioned in my previous post. Then I'm going to make two smaller stars and join them to make a washcloth that has a hand hole.

I may not finish it for awhile. I've got two other big projects in the works, and I can't spend as much time on it as I'd like. I find that it's an excellent project to take-along, though. It's not a pattern that you have to be really careful with. Long rows of DC make for less thought! It's great to keep in the car for those times I'm stuck waiting.

When I get it done (someday!) I'll post it. Right now it's about 15 inches across from tip to tip.

Thanks for this great pattern!! I love it! Everybody who's seen it has liked it, too!

Judy :hook

Short on time today and ran to Big Lots to check out yarn. Got alot of eyelash in light blue, bright royal blue and a lavender grey/green. Wanted the light blue to go around my baby terry starghan. Wanted pink for another pink/white ripple but no luck. Then dashed to second store for one more skein of blue baby terry. Was overwhelmed by the boxes of new yarn they were unpacking - 22 cases stacked on the floor. Clerk was rather noncomunicative so don't know much about what was in the boxes but you can bet I'm going back in a day or two -- got my extra hook, and circular knitting needle --- AND FORGOT TO PICK UP THE SKEIN OF BLUE BABY TERRY. Think my brain was ensuring that I would have to go back.

Ok...I'm in! I have to frog back some - there is a big hole after the end of round 2 - when joining - I don't like the looks of it so I will fix, get it going and then show a pic. :hook

Good morning,

I finally got the batteries in my camera. Here's a pic of my starghan so far - it's 47 inches from point to point.

(I switched the shells to 2dc,ch1,2dc. With the 2strands of yarn the holes were just too big for me and the point kept getting longer.)

CAL1-19-0747inches.jpg

Yaay!! :yay

Rosered, love you 8 point star and the color combo!!

Applejuice, glad to help you with the beginning of the pattern and am soo glad you got going!!

FlowerPower06, I've neved made a starghan with 2 strands before! Hope you'll be able to make the hole smaller!!

Needle Arts, :lol I hope you didn't work too hard oohing and aahing all over the yarn! And I hope you get the skein you need! :lol

Happy Stitcher, welcome to our CAL! :hello Don't forget to let us take a peek at your progress!!!

Happy Stitcher, welcome to our CAL! :hello Don't forget to let us take a peek at your progress!!!

Well, OK. I don't usually like to post things until I'm done, because when I replace them with a finished picture in my picturetrail account, the first picture disappears from whatever listing it's on. So in order to avoid that, I've just added it to my picturetrail and not directly here.

Just click on the picturetrail link below, and go to my craft album to see a sneak peek. It looks a little strange right now because I'm in the middle of a row.

I'm not thrilled with the way the joining stitch looks, but I'm sure that's because it's cotton yarn, and I'm hoping that when I'm done and wash it for the first time it will close up a bit.

I'm enjoying the project! :cheer As I said before, it's a perfect one to carry with me, so I've been keeping it in the car.

:hook

Happy Stitcher: Maybe you can make your slip stitch a little bit tighter or instead of completing the second hook over in the last dc before the sl st, you can sl st and finish the last dc at the same time...does this makes sense to you???

Christina: Love your color combo!! Watch out, you'll be getting requests for more starghans!!

Redheart: Come on in and join the fun!! I started a starghan, but may end up modifying it to make into a wearable or something. It's so fun and easy to make!!

Archived