Starghan Crochet-Along * Finally edited * Correct Version in Blog *

yarndiva

Happy Stitcher: Your starhoodie is progressing really well! Why don't you do the hood over the joining sts so that it's hidden when all is said and done (and you're not obssessing over it any more :lol)

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FlowerPower - I just picked up the same yarn !!!!!!! I LOVE it! I also got RH Lavender to go with it - now to finish my WIPs so I can start some more.

I also had a problem with too big of a hole on the peak with 2 strands so I switched to 1ch instead of 2 in the shell. It's a little tight but I just wiggle the yarn a little to set it right and it's coming out great.

Everyone's blankets look soooooooooooooooooooo pretty!

FlowerPower - I just picked up the same yarn !!!!!!!

I just couldn't resist that yarn...I love jeweltones and it was just calling my name - I am also using Simply Soft in Iris - I already had that in my stash. It's so bright and all shades of purples are my fav colors! :yay

Ok...I'm in! I have to frog back some - there is a big hole after the end of round 2 - when joining - I don't like the looks of it so I will fix, get it going and then show a pic. :hook

Try using ch2 instead of ch3 for your first dc. I use this all the time. I think it makes the ends come out more evenly on straight dc also.

Try using ch2 instead of ch3 for your first dc. I use this all the time. I think it makes the ends come out more evenly on straight dc also.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try it! I've now added Fuschia to my star - it's coming along nicely and brightly! :hook

Okay...I've started mine! :) One of my husband's

co-workers is expecting a new baby any day, so I'm going to make one this weekend (I hope). I'm going to use my stash of Simply Soft, in baby colors, to make it. It is one of my favorite yarns to work with. The blankets come out so nice and soft!!

HH-I absolutely can not wait to see that hooded bath towel when it's done. It looks increadible right now!

Donna-Love those colors! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Christina-that's going to be beautiful when it's done. Kinda of reminds me of Spiderman (which I love!)

I hope to be able to work on mine this weekend and post some progress pics soon!

ETA: Never mind. I can't find ANY of the Boucle at the Michael's around here. They have a bazillion skeins of fun fur, but no Bernat. I feel like complaining about false advertising. Grrrrr....

I have a question for those of you who have made a completed starghan. I was practicing with the pattern and made a dishcloth that was a pretty good size out of just a bit of yarn. I am thinking about using this pattern to make baby blankets for all of my nieces and nephews (it's DH's family tradition thing).

Bernat Baby Boucle is on sale at Michael's for only $1 a skein. About how many skeins (on average) do you think it would take to make a decent sized baby ghan? Or even one somewhat larger....say for toddler sized? I have NINE starghans to make.

The Lion Brand baby soft is also on sale for $3 a skein. I don't know the difference in the yardages though, but it looks larger in the photo. (lol....) Which do you think would give me the most afghan for my $$$ ? THANKS!

ETA: I looked up the stats on the different yarns. Bernat Baby Boucle: Bulky, 204 yrds, probably an H or I hook. LB Babysoft: Light worsted, Solid 459 yrds, Print 367 yrds, G hook.

Okay-I'm in. I started messing around with it yesterday and now I'm hooked. My daughter started crocheting and she loves Stars so we are working this one out together. I will get some yarn tomorrow not sure what colors I am going to use. My Daughter is using some bright colors.

I actually had to get a raincheck for the baby boulce at Michaels and the sales lady was none to happy. She said she hated rainchecks and I told her I hate coming to the store and they don't have what they advertise!

I actually had to get a raincheck for the baby boulce at Michaels and the sales lady was none to happy. She said she hated rainchecks and I told her I hate coming to the store and they don't have what they advertise!

Well, that was pretty rude! And I do mean "her" actions, not yours. There's nothing like quality customer service, huh? The only thing I get from Michaels lately is their coupons, and then I take them to JoAnns to use. ;)

I think I'm in. Do you think Bernat's Softee baby in dk weight would work? It's so lightweight!
:yes

I did 2 with the softee and used a g hook. :hook

I'm starting my first starghan right now. I have a lot of variegated baby yarn so I'm going to be alternating the variegated yarn with white or another solid color. I'll post a pic when I've made substantial progress...

EDIT: I'm stuck on round 5! It's not working out for me...

Round 5: Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc’s, {shell in ch 2 sp, dc in next 5 dc’s, sk next 2 dc’s, dc in next 5 dc’s}. Repeat { } around. Repeat * of Round 3.

For some reason, after I do the 4 dc's I have one more dc left before I reach the ch 2 sp? What am I doing wrong (or is that suppose to happen)? Here's a pic of my 5th round started - I know I have poor photo-taking skills, but I hope you can still see the problem I'm running into... (img should be clickable)

th_crochet067-1.jpg

anky - I'm looking at it and it looks fine. Great job with the Huge pic that comes up when you click on it - it really makes it easy to see!

I'm looking at 5dc before you get to the shell at the peak {which is what it should be}. If I'm looking at it wrong PLEASE let me know.

ch3(counts as 1st dc),4dc, shell in shell ~ is 5dc before the shell.

I can't wait to see it grow!

I'm stuck on round 5! It's not working out for me...

Round 5: Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc’s, {shell in ch 2 sp, dc in next 5 dc’s, sk next 2 dc’s, dc in next 5 dc’s}. Repeat { } around. Repeat * of Round 3.

For some reason, after I do the 4 dc's I have one more dc left before I reach the ch 2 sp? What am I doing wrong (or is that suppose to happen)?

I had trouble with this at first, too. When you do a corner, do 3 DC, 2 ch, and then 3 DC in the same hole - then you'll have to push your corner back some to get to the first DC on that side. I kept skipping that one, so that might be what you're doing, too.

Good luck! :manyheart

All of your starghans look great! I finished mine last night...well all except for weaving in the ends. I'll get that done and post pics soon!

I see what you mean, ankey. That got me too. Actually, it's not a dc, it's the 1st chain of the chain 2.:yes Skip it and you'll be fine! Hope that makes sense.

I had to frog mine.:( For some reason, my attempts to make it less "wonky" made it more "wonky." :shrug:bang So, I'm starting over and using this as an opportunity to space my colors differently.:P

Okay, apparently I'm a genius! I have been using your pattern, Beth, but apparently I printed it out months ago and you have changed it since then! Ankey, I still think what I'm talking about is right. PM me if you can't understand my crazy thought process!

EDIT: Ankey, this time I really do know what you mean!!! Each round should increase by 2 dc.... Round 5: ch 3, dc in next 5 dc, shell in ch2 space, dc in next 6 dc's........

Round 6: ch 3, dc in next 7 dc, shell in ch2 sp, dc in next 8 dc's....

Is this right, Beth?

I've been editing it as I am following this CAL to make sure that it's all ironed out, apparently, you all have been living another role as "testers" because I tested this pattern out myself numerous times :lol , and other crocheters have had no problems with it, but I really am thankful for your patience in trying to get this pattern corrected and going....clear as mud??

PM me or email me at yarn [dot] diva [at] yahoo [dot] com if you need help!

Beth, I'm pretty sure it's not you, it's me!:lol I tend to look at things a little differently. What makes sense to one can leave another baffled. I lean toward baffled!!:D:loco

Archived