Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Wendy. Single crocheting squares together is my favorate way to put squares together. I find it easier and faster then whip stitching or even slip stitching them together. I also love the look of squares single crochet together.

If you're talking about sc with wrong sides together, I did that with a scrap afghan and loved the way it looked, too.

It seems there are as many varieties of methods as there are people in the 'ville!:hook

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my book and started matching up yarns. I am not sure I like having the cornflower in the place of the medium blue. :( THat would give me more yellow than I want. That book has an awesome knitting pattern in there that I love, I just don't know if I could do it! (It's woven stripes of color on a dark navy background). There are a bunch of other blankets I like in there, too. Definitely a BUYER! :D

Krystal, my mom knits better than me (and I crochet better than her) so I made her an afghan in trade for her to make that one for me. I believe she said she had something like 40 bobbins hanging off the back for all the colored stripes. It really is beautiful, but it's definitely not for tall people to snuggle under. I didn't have the guts to ask her to make it extra long. :devil

judi - mudpie posted FULL corrections for the entire book, in case you did not see, here they are:

Here are all of the corrections for the book:

GARDEN ROWS, page 5:

Round 5: Ch 2, (counts as first hdc), *3 sc in next ch-3 sp, hdc in next st, (hdc, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp, (2 tr, ch 3, 2 tr) in next st, (corner made); (2 dc, hdc) in next ch-3 sp, ** hdc in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **; join with sl st to top of beg ch-2; fasten off.

The end of Round 7 should be 24 cl (not 36) – 6 on each of 4 sides.

The Horizontal Strip should read:

Join MC in any corner ch-3 sp with sl st, ch 1, sc in same sp, sc in each dc across to next corner ch-3 sp,

COUNTRY QUILT, page 12:

Panel 1: at the end of Rows 2-4 should read: change to MC in last st of last row.

PINWHEEL, page 22:

Under Pattern Stitches:

Beg tr-cl: says pull through all 4 lps on hook – should be; pull through all 3 lps on hook.

Rnd 12 says – sc in next 7 sc – should be: sc in next 10 sc.

FLORAL FANTASY, page 38:

Edging:

Rnd 2 says: color B, should be color MC.

Round 4 says: color B; should be MC .

Round 5 says: color C should be color B (multi)

BLUE STAR AFGHAN, page 21:

CORRECTION AT CORNER BORDER:

Row 1: (rs) With rs facing, join B in sc 2 sts before any Wedge tip with sl st, ch 1; sc in same sc; ch 1, sk next 2sc, *(dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)7 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc, (point) (ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)6 times, ** sk next 4 sc, tr in next sc (joining), sk next 4 sc; (dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)6 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc (point),

(Ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)7 times, ch 1, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next 2 sc.

Row 10: do not turn.

HALF GRANNY BLOCK:

ROW 4: Ch 4, turn; (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1)3 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in ch-2 sp, ch 1, (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) twice, cl in next ch-1 sp, cl, dc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4, change to A; fasten off MC.

ROW 5: With A, ch 4, turn; (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 4 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in ch-2 sp, ch 1, (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 3 times, cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, dc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4.

FAN-STITCH FAVORITE, page 45:

One-Fan Panel

Row 3 should say: K 3, (K1, yo) 10 times, K 3: 27 sts.

Two-Fan Panel

Row 3 should say: K 3, (K 1, yo) 10 times, K 7, (K 1, yo) 10 times, K 4. 54 sts.

IRISH TRELLIS, page 50:

The pattern repeat in Row 10 is 8 stitches – sk next 3 sts, tr in next st, working in front of tr just made, tr in 3 sk sts = 4 sts + sk next st, tr in next 3 sts. Working behind 3 tr just made, tr in sk st = 4 sts, for a total of 8 sts. 8 x 23.5 = 188 sts plus the ch-4 at the beginning and one tr at the end = 190 sts.

Row 9 will end with 191 sts. To correct this, at the end of Row 9, work 2 sc together. Then in Row 12 work 2 sc in the first stitch, to return to 191 sts.

DIAMONDS & RINGS, page 62:

CLARIFICATION of EDGING on RING PANEL

Rnd 1: (RS with rs facing and working in bk lps only, join MC in any dc of first ring with sl st, ch 3. (counts as dc)

*To join half ring, place half ring under first full ring, (yo, insert hook into bk lp only of next st on full ring, then insert hook between the 13th and 14th dc of the half ring, yo, draw up lp (3 lps on hook) yo, and draw through all 3 lps.

In this same joining st (of the full ring and the half ring) – work (3 dc, hdc) – corner made.

In bk lp only of full ring only, work hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next st. Insert free end of the half ring through the full ring, so first dc of the half ring is on top of the next sts of full ring. To join this end, (yo, insert hook between first and second dc of the half ring, then insert hook into bk lp only of the next st of the full ring, yo, draw up lp, (3 lps on hook) yo, and draw through all 3 lps on hook. Work (3 dc, hdc) in this same joining st (of half ring and full ring) – corner made.

In full ring only, in bk lp only work hdc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next st.

**In next ring (second ring) work sc in next 3 sts,

In next ring work dc in next st, hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next st. Repeat from ** across to the last ring.

In the last ring hdc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st. Repeat from * for second end and up the second side to the beginning full ring. In this ring count back the last 6 sts; in first st work dc, hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next st, sl st in top of beginning ch-3. Fasten off.

You will have 7 sts in side of each MC ring and 3 sts in side of each A ring. Including the corner sts (one on each end) you will have a total of 248 sts.

NOTE: Beg working in rows.

Row 1: (rs) With rs facing, join MC in bottom right corner with sl st, ch 3, working bk lps only, work 224 dc evenly across to next corner. This will mean decreasing 24 sts evenly across the side. Fasten off. (225 dc)

CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION, PAGE 72:

Assembly sequence does not match the picture ---

Should be Tree, snowflake, candy cane, star, tree, star, candy cane, snowflake, tree.

HEAVENLY LOVE, page 108:

Heart Panel Chart Row 50 should be deleted, so there will be an even spacing of 2 rows between each pair of hearts. This will make the Heart Panel only 214 rows; when the Angel Panel is 215 rows. But this difference can be eased in during assembly.

GIRAFFES, page 110:

Rows 2-8 say: sc in each sc across to last 2 sc; working in both lps, sc in last 5 sc;

Should say: sc in each sc across to last 2 sc; working in both lps, sc in last 2 sc;

GIRAFFES BABY AFGHAN, pages 112 and 113:

There are two stitches missing in the body of the each giraffe.

In row 44, stitch #68 and stitch #70 should be shaded gray for the LDC.

This will match the giraffes in the upper row.

On page 112 the upper diamond pattern should be moved up one row, to begin on Row 120.

SPOTS & STRIPES, page 126:

Row 19: P 6, sl 1, K 2 tog, psso,* P7, rep bet *’s once, P6 – (21 sts)

FILET HEARTS, page 130:

The number of chains in the beginning should be 184, not 185.

In this filet pattern, each square of the chart equals 2 sts;

either 2 dc or a ch 1 & 1 dc.

To write Row 2 more specifically:

[For block one]

Ch 3, (this equals the beginning dc - but is not one of the dcs for the chart)

dc in next 36 dc, (this is 2dc for each square of the chart - work one dc in each dc)

[For block two]

(ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc)this should be 18 times for the 18 squares of the chart - [not 19]

[For block three]

dc in next 36 dc,

[block four]

(ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc)18 times

[block five]

dc in next 36 dc.

Row 19: Ch 4, sk next dc, dc in next dc, (ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc)17 times; *(ch 1, dc in next dc)18 times; (ch 1, sk next dc, dc in next dc)18 times; rep from * once.

Row 20: With next color ch 4, dc in next dc, (ch 1, dc in next dc)17 times; *(dc in next ch-1 sp, dc in next dc)18 times; (ch 1, dc in next dc)18 times; rep from * once.

Continue on, following the chart.

RAINBOW RIPPLE, page 136:

Row 10: Step 2: Yo, and pull through 1 lp on hook, (yo and pull through 2 lps on hook) 4 times, change to MC, (yo and pull through 2 lps on hook) 5 times, ch 1, (yo and pull through 2 lps on hook) 10 times.

Row 11: Step 2: is the same; after changing color, (yo and pull through 2 lps on hook) 5 times.

I did the same thing and I was going to copy the patterns, but I figured why do that, so I just bought the book.:yay

Carol:hook

I will get my book today! I put it on hold at my library, for 25cents! The way I figure, I can keep renewing until someone else requests it! I'll probably wind up buying it anyway, but this will get me through for now!

I can't join in this CAL, but I found the pattern book on my shelves - thanks so much for posting the corrections!! I put them right in the book.:hug

Your not going to join, but your sooo much fun. :cry

Rosebud way to go. Im glad you were able to get hold of a book. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Judi come on join us you will love it.

Krystal what a great way to get the book. Why didnt I think of that. I could have been sitting here starting already. Oh no I cant I dont have my yarn yet. grrrrr

If you're talking about sc with wrong sides together, I did that with a scrap afghan and loved the way it looked, too.

It seems there are as many varieties of methods as there are people in the 'ville!:hook

That is they way I do it. With wrong sides together. I totally love that way.

The gal with all of the corrections. How did you get them????

Krystal, my mom knits better than me (and I crochet better than her) so I made her an afghan in trade for her to make that one for me. I believe she said she had something like 40 bobbins hanging off the back for all the colored stripes. It really is beautiful, but it's definitely not for tall people to snuggle under. I didn't have the guts to ask her to make it extra long. :devil

Well, that's a good thing, because I am only 5'0! :rofl I have seen somewhere that someone used clothes pins for bobbins. They wound the yarn around the "wide" end, then toward the center. Then they clipped the yarn in the pincers. I think that would be the way to go with that afghan. Someday. I would likely make it in a neutral color, not navy. But it's great because it would use up so much of my stash on the stripes. I have more practicing to do in knitting before I get to that afghan, though.

I was going to copy the patterns

Ahem.... a ... Carol, it is against the policies of the boards here to talk about copying patterns. We borrow the book for as long as we need the book. Then we return it to the library. That way you are not violating copyright law. :D Or, we can just buy it because we love SO MANY PATTERNS in the book there's no way the library would let us have it for that long! LOL!

Ahem.... a ... Carol, it is against the policies of the boards here to talk about copying patterns. We borrow the book for as long as we need the book. Then we return it to the library. That way you are not violating copyright law. :D Or, we can just buy it because we love SO MANY PATTERNS in the book there's no way the library would let us have it for that long! LOL!

Yes. there are copyright issues. Something that I learned about not long ago myself.

I did the same thing and I was going to copy the patterns, but I figured why do that, so I just bought the book.:yay

OOOOH, you said the "C" word. We can't copy patterns, either from books or from purchased e-patterns. It's okay to loan your original copy of a pattern, or to loan out your book or check out a book from the library, but copyright is such a big issue. You can link to free patterns, but the designer should still get credit because often if you go to their site to retrieve a free pattern you might (they hope) see a pattern for sale and purchase it.

I didn't realize "what the big deal was" until I joined Crochetville and started talking to some of the designers and realized how hard they work to either self-publish a design or submit a design to a large company - Leisure Arts, Annie's Attic - and have it published. While it is obvious that copying a single design purchased from a designer and giving it away is depriving that designer of a sale, it's not so obvious that copying from a book would effect them "They're a big publishing company! What do they care?" But then you find out that the little designer is still impacted...

Have fun with this pattern, and I really felt the book was worth adding to my collection!:manyheart

I agree Paulette, You really don't realize who you are actually hurting. I made the mistake of wanting to translate a pattern written in Japanese, not knowing that that was illegal. Thankfully, I was forwarned not to do it because of the copyright laws. I guess having a daughter that reads and speaks japanese is great for me. I made a little tadpole, that my cat (picture in my avatar) immediately took it off my desk at work, and it is now her personal cat toy. The only time I see it now is when she has it in her mouth and playing with it. And of course she won't play with store bought toys.

Well, that's a good thing, because I am only 5'0! :rofl I have seen somewhere that someone used clothes pins for bobbins. They wound the yarn around the "wide" end, then toward the center. Then they clipped the yarn in the pincers.

I made a baby afghan with a huge bear on/in it and used small, thin rubber bands to secure the bobbins of yarn I was using. That wasn't bad, either.:hook

Wendy, I feel this strange compulsion to do the Blue Star afghan...I don't know where this idea is coming from:D :P ...but I have NO blue in my house...and another pattern is also calling me...Hmmmm, I see burgundy, I see cream...:think

No...maybe...hmmmmm is Michales store calling me? Did I hear something about Dollar Days..?:eek

I'm way too suggestible, Wendy!!

The Casablanca pattern will just have to stay in the que (is that the correct spelling?)...besides, the squares for the Blue Star are bigger:yay ...this calls for a sneaky trip to Michaels so I can hide the yarn...I am so bad:P :devil

See ya on the CALs...from a Sherlockian :sher halfway around the world who needs:morcoffee after a too-short night:yawn

Judi Im doing the Casablanca as well. I will have squares coming out of my ears.

Im going to the shops tomorrow and see if Big W or Kmart has any yarn that will be right for this project in the hope that my book is in my letterbox when I get back. Im going with maybe blues but we will have to see. The casablanca is in pinks and white and so no way am I picking those colors for this job.

I will let you know what I find. The girls have made a shopping list of things they want. Stationery etc so they can be ready for when school starts again, which is still another 2 weeks away.

Catch you all tomorrow. Night..

Hi Wendy-

I carry around the pattern for the Casablanca in my purse so when I feel the urge I can get what I need...and out all of the yarn in ONE tote!:hook

All of the quilt designs are so pretty, but the Blue Star (and Casablanca) are striking, IMO. Still don't know whether or not my Blue Star is actually going to be blue...I'll wait to be inspired in Michaels:)

Judianne,

Glad you decided to join us. I can't wait to get my yarn in next week. I should have just picked it up over at micheals or ac moore. But I got a great price on the yarn and free shipping~ no wonder it's taking so long. And with Monday MLK's day, I know it will be Tuesday at the earliest that I get it.

Archived