Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Hi Wendy, it is exactly like that here. We have only Walmart to shop at for so many things, but crafts for sure. I have to go 90 plus miles to get to a michaels...........about 3 yrs ago our walmart added food and cut some of their other depts and crafts was one of them, now they are taking craft depts out of allot of their stores period......oh what shall I do? I guess it is time to learn to shop on line.

I hope you got the verigated colors you need to get your cal going....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Peaches and Cream cotton ( I know, shoot me)

MiztrezzLyn,

I'm using Peaches and Cream too!! I love their yarn. I had the same problem with yarn not looking like the picture, so I ordered their color card (about $12???) it was well worth it!! Although.. I bought more and more yarn!!

I'm doing mine in

Yellow

Lemon

Daisey Ombre

White

Can't wait to see everyones pictures!!!

wow cookie that sounds awesome! I would have never thought of yellow and...I LOVE that idea! Gosh, I may have to make a couple of these LOL

I can't wait to see some of these get started either =)

I really should break down and order their color card as well...I can tell that I'm going to be ordering alot more from them, I just love the yarn, and I think the price is right!

Well I made 3 granny squares with some cotton yarn last night with G, H, and I hooks. I washed them and left them out to dry...this morning still not dry lol It doesn't look like they shrunk at all though?

It's because of how you washed it. Are you really planning to handwash and lay out flat to dry the afghan? Speaking of squares, like dishcloths, they get very wide and short when washed in the machine, and then shrink in the dryer, which is why I usually add rows to make them taller, so when they go wonky, they won't end up too short. I had color transfer, but maybe it was because I used hot water. The dishcloths I leave out to air dry never seem to get dry.

I wonder how navy would look with the other colors, long as it doesn't look black, but navy, it might work.

I ordered a copy of this book online today. Don't know when it will be here for sure, and I dont know if I can sneek any more yarn past my hubby. I am going to start on this one soon? I hope.

Looks like everyone is finding their colors. Its going to be another week or two before my book gets here. Im still at a loss as to what colors to do. I wanted to do blues but just cant find anything that speaks out to me.

Cookiehooker and Moonspinner you both have only said 4 colors are you yet to pick the 5th color.

Wendy: Yes, I have five colors. I keep changing my mind, but I think I finally settled on Cream, Dk Sage, Light Sage, Frosty Green and Aspen Print. Right now I'm hoping the two Sages will look alright with the Aspen Print.

I am really surprised I did not go with greens lol I absolutely LOVE green, but for some reason that winterberry was screaming my name =) So I had to build around that one.

I am sooo impatient about my book...I ordered it before the yarn it should be here!

Lyn, I usally go green also, but I choose blues with a touch of lite purle and pale pink. So go figure. I wanted a change, the BS CAL i'm in is being done in Green and white anyway. I got my book on Friday, and I have ordered my yarn online. hopefully it will be in sometime next week.

I didn't order a varigated yarn, just all solids. But I think the colors will work together well. I like the idea of the yellows that one of the ladies will be doing. I can't wait to see all of the different looks this one blanket will have using each person's choice of colors.

i ordered my book and it should be here within two weeks...but i just can't decide colors....how important do you think the contrast is ,, and where can it best be used??? that seems to be really important in this afghan...any help sure would be appreciated!!! i too am thinking about going with a green theme but am open to other colors.....

Wow we have a yellow, red,blue and green theme going. its certainly going to be interesting to see the different rugs being made and how they will turn out.

Bluemoon the contrast would be important so you can see the pattern but I guess it depends on what colors you choose. Maybe look at the colors the others have picked and see if it would give you any ideas for yours. hmm sorry I havent been much help. I too am having problems deciding what to use.

So Wendy, does this mean that you call -what we call - afghans, rugs? I never knew that.

Like they say(paraphrase) about us colonies: we are a common people separated by a common language :wlol

Well I dug through my yarn stash and I have enough of the greens to do my afghan, if my book ever gets here. I had to pick up a contrast color, which I am not sure I will like??? Oh and yes it is true..........if you go to walmart you will come home with more yarn than you went for!!! hhahahahahaha....I found 2 skeins of the most beautiful color **real teal**. Got to have an afghan made of this......I will check each time I go back and buy all I can until I get enough for the afghan.....see...............it isn't safe at walmart!!!!

Has anyone started ther CAL yet?? Anybody going to do one in reds??? I love red, and been thinking about it????

Penitho had spoken of doing one possibly in Red. :lol

Yes I saw it on the earlier pages. It does look beautiful in the colors you choose. I can't wait to see everyones finished. I believe each will be unique, as the individual that made it.

Wendy I did use a variegated red/purple carnival yarn but I have not been able to buy that colour for a while. I had it in my stash. I then included a deep purple, a blue green/rusty red and cream. I also added an extra edge to the finished afghan.

Archived