Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Cookiehooker and Moonspinner you both have only said 4 colors are you yet to pick the 5th color.

I'm only going to use the 4... I'm working on modifying the pattern right now ... I've never been good at sticking to a pattern :D ..and I couldn't decide on adding another color... and I had the yarn on hand already....

I should buy stock in Peaches and Cream... I love their yarn!!! :manyheart

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya cookie, I feel the same way. I have been making some washcloths and market totes with some peaches and creme I have and I just love it. Hubby does too! lol

He wanted to wind the 1lb cones for me into center pull balls and I told him, "But honey, those are 840 yards each and there are 5 (now 6 since i went and bought another)" He did it though lol Total over the weekend was 6 1lb cones, and probably about 12 2.5 oz balls of cotton all wound up for me into center pull balls. I just love him =) He said he knows I would hate trying to work right from the cone because he felt how it comes off the cone while he was winding it.

I wouldn't have wanted to wind those cones lol

ines, thats beautiful. I have looked at some of the things you have made before and you just do great work. I aspire to be able to do as well as you do =) Maybe some day I will have the patience and fortitude to be able to finish projects like yours!

miztresslyn

How do you make center pull balls? I never heard of such thing.

I can tell you how I do it but this needs an empty TP tube.

Get your tube and snip a small slit on the "top" end.

take the free end of your yarn and let it fall into the tube (a couple of inches) and secure it in the slit.

begin to wind your yarn around the TP tube on a 45 degree angle and keep rotating the tube as you wind.

as the ball gets bigger, you can push it down the tube and it will flatten on the bottom - nice for sittting on the floor.

I always use the last couple of feet to wind (horizontally) around the ball and secure it.

The other method is to buy the Ballwinder from Joanne's or one of those places

There's a link online.... I can't find it now, but if you search C'VIlle for center pull skeins, you're bound to come up with it - I found the link here. I was doing it for a while, but still foudn the same problem with the last of the skein collapsing onto itself and then makeing a big mess.

This is what my hubby used to learn how to make a center pull ball, he's become quite the pro at it..http://goddess1.typepad.com/i_hide_yarn/2005/06/how_to_wind_a_c.html

Yes I am doing it in cotton, the pattern calls for a G but I think thats way too tight and small, I was going to go with an I (my preferred hook) but I felt this was way too lose, so I'm going to go with an H I think.

And yeah, Peaches & Creme is cotton yarn =)

LOL that's funny

I dont have alot of experience with it as my hubby does all my winding for me, bless him =)

I have done a couple and of course they look very sloppy and not as nice and uniform as his, but I *could* get it back on my thumb if I had to stop (18 month old climbing into my lap wanting my attention)

The toilet paper roll method sounds interesting though, I'm sure it works just as well if not better as it keeps the insides wrapped around the roll I guess hehe

Might have him experiment, but he does so well with what he's doing now. I need my ball winder to stay content with whatever method he deems best for him LOL

No problem, I love them so much better than the way I used to wind balls, well I should say the way I had him wind balls before...they would just roll all over the place. Now, I can keep them in one spot and it just pulls right from the center!

Don't worry about the sloppiness, it doesn't matter and the more you do them the better they will look. The ones that I make are still very sloppy lol my hubby asked me last night if I would be offended if he rewound my ball, I told him not at all LOL He hates seeing it all sloppy, he's a perfectionist...which I think would be a great attribute for him if he'd become a little more adventerous in his crochet projects =)

Update on my book: STILL not here! I am very sad...I need that book to get here, I am sitting on this yarn just waiting to get started! =)

Awesome peni! =)

My book is still not here either! /shakes fist

I tracked it and it left Warrendale, PA yesterday so I'm hoping it will make it here to the Syracuse area TOMORROW!

I love the colors that you've chosen, I can't wait to see the afghan in progress =)

Has anyone started this yet. Are the squares going to be the little ones, 2 inches. Not sure if I can cope with them. I am trying the casablanca pattern from the happyhouse website and that has thousands of the little things. what a nightmare.

Wendy, I haven't started it, but do have the book.It appears there will be 252 small squares where 9 of these are joined as you go into 28 larger squares. These small squares have 2 rows and then when connected to the other 8 there is an edging around the larger formed square. A good portion is not small squares. Hope this helps you.

Archived